Cabover shell mfgs ?

16 replies to this topic
  • beady927

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

Anyone know of any truck shell mfgs that will build cabover shells? Close to Colorado maybe. I'm talkin a walk in height cabover.

I've found these two, Access Mfg in Winters CA, and Lifetime in San Bernardino but both are over 1000 mi from me and the shipping on a big cabover is >$1/mi.

BTW, I've already looked and gotten a quote on an fiberglass slide-in and it was 2X the cost of a basic Alu cabover shell. So those are out.

• Chickenhauler

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

Anyone know of any truck shell mfgs that will build cabover shells? Close to Colorado maybe. I'm talkin a walk in height cabover.

I've found these two, Access Mfg in Winters CA, and Lifetime in San Bernardino but both are over 1000 mi from me and the shipping on a big cabover is >$1/mi.

BTW, I've already looked and gotten a quote on an fiberglass slide-in and it was 2X the cost of a basic Alu cabover shell. So those are out.

You're talking a high-rise canopy or topper, right?

ARE makes a unit that is 36" tall off the bedrail....

Whoever is giving you mileage quotes of $1/mile is steep, especially in today's transport market.

http://www.cargobody.com/

http://www.campway.c...ts/cshells.html

• inyoyote

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

http://caravancamper.com/ these are in reno nv. little pricy but very very nice.

• beady927

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:03 AM

http://caravancamper.com/ these are in reno nv. little pricy but very very nice.

Thanks, I'll give them a call. Hopefully they will build a cabover. BTW, I like that theirs are steel framed. The other two I mentioned are Alu famed. Weight isn't a issue since its going on a modded dodge cummins.

• inyoyote

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:07 AM

Thanks, I'll give them a call. Hopefully they will build a cabover. BTW, I like that theirs are steel framed. The other two I mentioned are Alu famed. Weight isn't a issue since its going on a modded dodge cummins.

a couple freinds have them, they are very very nice. however i dont know if they do custom work like what i think you want. but it cant hurt to call. and as far as weight they arnt that bad. one of my friends is on a 1/2 ton dodge and it hardly squats, more just makes the truck ride nice. he doesnt have helper springs, just stock springs. id love to get one but id hate to put a nice new shell on my old nevada pinstriped dodge.

• beady927

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:17 PM

I called and caravancamper won't build a cab over. Too bad. Just want a small space to throw a gear bag or two in and a wedge to break the wind flowing over a tall shell.

Dang, I hate to give up my cummins and 4x4 and switch to an extended van or just a trailer pulled with our (i.e. her) SUV. But I have parking area length limitation that prevents parking truck plus trailer.

• Chickenhauler

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:07 PM

I called and caravancamper won't build a cab over. Too bad. Just want a small space to throw a gear bag or two in and a wedge to break the wind flowing over a tall shell.

Dang, I hate to give up my cummins and 4x4 and switch to an extended van or just a trailer pulled with our (i.e. her) SUV. But I have parking area length limitation that prevents parking truck plus trailer.

THAT's what you meant by "cabover", like a slide in camper, or gramma's attic on a U-haul! :moon:

• zracing

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

Anyone know of any truck shell mfgs that will build cabover shells? Close to Colorado maybe.

Something like this: Posted Image

They are in San Diego but I think they will ship.:moon:
www.callencamper.com

• beady927

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

Thanks zracing. Thats exactly what I'm talkin about. I looked at their web site and I'm callin them tomorrow!

Sorry if I caused confusion with my terminology.

• llamaface

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

I assume access must be the folks that make Tradesman shells. I have one of those on my tundra and it ROCKS!!! I've had it for 7 years now. I keep my riding gear and some basic camping stuff in the overhead full-time. I think mine is 36" over the rails, but they make them taller too. Rick Bozarth (Boss husaberg in portland) has one that's 48" or so above the rails, and is color-matched so it looks really sharp on his heavy-duty truck.

I ordered mine through a normal truck accessory store, so I have no clue what the shipping was, but I purchased it in california anyway, so it couldn't have been much.

I would see what it would cost to get one to you through the local truck accessory place, then see what it would cost if you picked it up in winters. If it's really a $1000 difference, i'd take the $1000 and plan a february-march riding vacation to norcal, get the shell and drive home. Maybe stop in moab on the way.

• beady927

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:05 PM

FWIW, I finally found what I wanted and bought one 4 months ago. A Belair c5. I like it. The hatchback rear door makes it as easy to load/unload as an open pickup. Do be fooled by the single center door the rear also hatches open.

http://www.belairshe...tpl?PageName=43

The price was by lower by far than anything else I found. Did have to drive to LA to get it tho...

• Smacaroni

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:06 AM

THAT's what you meant by "cabover", like a slide in camper, or gramma's attic on a U-haul! :thumbsup:

I too am disappointed, the title had so much potential...
Posted Image

• llamaface

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:20 PM

FWIW, I finally found what I wanted and bought one 4 months ago. A Belair c5. I like it. The hatchback rear door makes it as easy to load/unload as an open pickup. Do be fooled by the single center door the rear also hatches open.

http://www.belairshe...tpl?PageName=43

The price was by lower by far than anything else I found. Did have to drive to LA to get it tho...

any pix of yours? I assume it must be taller than the one on their site, based on what you were looking for.

• paclow

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

Try:

www.fourwheelcamper.com - California
www.capricampers.com - Texas
www.outfittermfg.com - Colorado

I owned a Four Wheel Camper and I thought it was amazing. You can usually pick them up used for 1/2 the price of a new one. I also owned a Capri Camper. It too was a great little camper but lacked any amenities. I can send pictures of both if you want. Just PM me with your email address.

• paclow

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

Sorry, try this

www.fourwheelcampers.com

• minibikedad

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:46 AM

HOw much MPG do you knock down when one of those sits so high up from your p/up's roof line?

• beady927

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

Sorry its taken soooo long to get back to this thread. I went on vacation.

I don't have a actual pic but mine is very similiar to the C5 version on the bel-aire web site and has 6' interior height.

Mileage numbers for my ram2500 12v cummis diesel 4x4 are
~17-18 no shell, no trailer
~14.5 - 15.5 with the stand up height shell.
~11.5 -12.5 towing a 17' v-nose tandem axle trailer, no shell.

this are running at 75-80mph on I40, I25, I70, I15
Of couse they all increase by ~2mpg on running 65mph on 2 lane highways.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.