2004 yz450 GEARING SETUP/DESERT??

3 replies to this topic
  • freewill

Posted December 21, 2009 - 07:39 PM

have a 04 yz450fs and i am new to riding in the desert,i am thinking of going to a 45 rear sprocket and an 11 ounce flywheel weight.Hopefully to smooth out the power,make the gears more useful, and give me some more top end.If anyone has done anything like this or has any knowledge about this particular bike or this type of setup that would be great. thanks :moon:

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2009 - 08:07 PM

Yes on the flywheel weight. 8-12 ounces is good for them.

No on the 45. You probably have a 14/48 right now (stock). 15/48 would be the very nearly the same gear ratio as a 14/45, but would drag the swing arm a lot less. 45's are also special order parts most of the time. I ran a 15/49 on my '03. I probably could have used a 15/48, but low gear starts to get pretty tall for the tight stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • michaeltaz

Posted December 22, 2009 - 04:18 AM

I think you can go even smaller on the rear sprocket. I had a 40 rear sprocket made for my cr250 2-stroke. I used it for desert races, and yes, pull away was like third gear starts. But the actual top speed was awesome and the bike was very competitive.

• freewill

Posted December 22, 2009 - 04:30 PM

went and rode that beast today lol.it just rained last night hehe.im telling ya after im rolling i just put it in third gear with a 14/48 set up and its good to go but it tops out way to quick .definately gonna put some taller gears on it and see what it does,thanks for the input.:moon: :cheers: oh where did you get your 15 front sprocket from?? and what is the better brand of flywheel weight to use?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.