01 KX500 VS. 01 CR500 Which is faster?

60 replies to this topic
  • KcDavis

Posted December 23, 2009 - 04:22 PM

You can put it any way you want. But, I bet if someone really wanted to, they could find a way to do the same thing with a CR500.

• motoxmann

Posted December 23, 2009 - 04:45 PM

What about the Baja 1000.
I'm not sure but didn't the KX500 win it 9 times in a row?
I can't remember a CR500 ever winning it, but I could be wrong.

• KcDavis

Posted December 23, 2009 - 04:50 PM

Again, I think we are back to the rider. The best bike ever built won't win anything if the rider isn't capable.

• motoxmann

Posted December 23, 2009 - 05:06 PM

I agree.
I've said for years that you could take a top rider like Bubba, put him on a 15 year old two stroke 250 that is dialed in with what was available :-) 15 years ago and he'll still win the majority of races.
Yet, that is not what I was looking for.
All things being as equal as you can make them, rider, minimal mods, conditions, riding style, ect, which is the fastest.
I guess I should post the same question on the KX500 forum.
I just didn't want to seem like I was over posting and wasting everyone's time.
Thanks.

• cmjb

Posted December 23, 2009 - 05:36 PM

I think the title to the thread is which bike is faster not which can be ridden faster given certain variables,ie: rider skill.

• ktmsooner

Posted December 23, 2009 - 07:26 PM

I have had a 84 CR500 and I currently have a 1991 and a 2000 CR500. This bikes have great power and smooth delivery. I have rode a 2000 KX500. The KX seemed more Pipey to me, not near as smooth, more brutal. As far as dependable, the CR500's blow the KX500's away. The CR500 is a really good bike and is great on the FUN meter!

• motoxmann

Posted December 24, 2009 - 11:00 AM

Just curious.
Does anybody have any rear wheel horsepower and torque charts?
It would be interesting to see how each engine stacks up at specific RPM's.

• cwoods99508

Posted December 24, 2009 - 11:21 PM

Not trying to hi-Jack but while all you Cr and Kx guys are here I have a question. I bought a 1990 Ktm 540dxc last spring with a siezed top end. Those of you who may know the bikes will know it's the same bike as the 92-96 Ktm 550.
I have never ridden one and the bike is in my shop being gone through as of now. Everything in the motor is new from bottom to top. Only non oem is a Dyno Port pipe and silencer,rad valve and reeds and an updated Kiehn PJ that I have bought for it.
Now I am going through the carriage portion of the buggy and everything will be refreshened and powder coated and won't be ridden till this spring.
Questio I have is I had at one time a 91 Cr500 and was wondering if any of you have ridden one of these Ktm's and have any opinions of comparison perhaps? Again sorry to jump aboard......

• 4 STROKER

Posted December 25, 2009 - 12:35 AM

If you want a Big bore that will turn get a Cr500.If you want one to go straight Kx500 and KTM550 are the way to go. P.S. 550 makes big power with a 41mm carb. My friend held our local track mini sprint record for a great while with a stock 550 with 41 carb. against a feild of modifided Cr500 and kx500's.

• crandy500

Posted December 25, 2009 - 12:11 PM

I have owned both kx500 and cr500. I have a cr500af now. The kx is faster from mid and up for sure. The honda hits a little harder off the bottom to mid then goes flat.The Honda motor does fine not being revved. I have also ridden the ktm 550. It was faster than the kaws or honda.All three have way more than enough power for any Mx track.
Danny Hamel had a lot to do with Kaws baja streak. The Kx really rips up top when set up right.

• KTM-548cc

Posted December 25, 2009 - 07:43 PM

in straight line drag race like the sand dunes with a paddle the ktm550 will stomp the honda and kawi. but for motocross riding the cr500 probly is the best bike

• motoxmann

Posted December 25, 2009 - 09:18 PM

in straight line drag race like the sand dunes with a paddle the ktm550 will stomp the honda and kawi. but for motocross riding the cr500 probly is the best bike

Hmmmmm. That surprises me. I have rode and raced a 96 KTM 550. In fact, I still have some parts for it. When the KTM hits it's peak power it has a relatively short burst and it's time to shift. It actually reminds me of my 98 CR500 only with a few more ponies. I have found that my 2000 KX500 has so much more usable power through a broader RPM range that it has never been beaten at the dunes except by some highly modified Banshees with huge extended swing arms.
Of course when it's time for any other kind of dune riding it's bye bye :moon:
If your ever at Florence, Winchester Bay, Coos Bay, or Christmas Valley I'd love to see how your 550 does. I think you may be in for a shock :cheers:
Posted Image

Edited by motoxmann, December 25, 2009 - 09:46 PM.

• cwoods99508

Posted December 26, 2009 - 12:34 AM

I'm sure your Kx runs good and hard no doubt. I appreciate your opinion and by no means saying the Ktm is on top of the power totem. Quite honestly I have absolutely no idea how the power delivery will be but seen an oportunity to get some unbiased opinions here. I know what answers Id get from a Ktm dedicated site.
I've read that the gear ratio and power delivery is very good for the slow tight and the fast wide open bursts.... I hope so as the motor has about 1800.00 in new parts and more to go on the rest of the bike. I am sure it will have all the fast I can handle though.
Wish I was able to ride some of these areas you mention and you'd be welcome to try the Ktm out for yourself but somehow I don't see that happening. Being in Alaska narrows my riding down to one state only.
Thanks much for the input guys

• cwoods99508

Posted December 26, 2009 - 12:37 AM

On a side note Motoxmann, you have some parts you may want to sell. Depending on what I may be interested.

• KTM-548cc

Posted December 26, 2009 - 08:39 PM

Hmmmmm. That surprises me. I have rode and raced a 96 KTM 550. In fact, I still have some parts for it. When the KTM hits it's peak power it has a relatively short burst and it's time to shift. It actually reminds me of my 98 CR500 only with a few more ponies. I have found that my 2000 KX500 has so much more usable power through a broader RPM range that it has never been beaten at the dunes except by some highly modified Banshees with huge extended swing arms.
Of course when it's time for any other kind of dune riding it's bye bye :moon:
If your ever at Florence, Winchester Bay, Coos Bay, or Christmas Valley I'd love to see how your 550 does. I think you may be in for a shock :cheers:
Posted Image

my dad can beat up your dad LOL. i had a '94 kx500 back in the day, it was fast but i hated everything else about the bike. i ride a cr500 and ktm 550 now. whats the 550 parts you have ? i might be interested.

• motoxmann

Posted December 26, 2009 - 10:43 PM

Well I might as well spill the beans.
I asked the question but already knew the answer :smirk:
For years I have heard every opinion about what is faster and why.
So, I bought a 96 KTM550, 00 KX500, and a 98 CR500 and did my own shoot out :moon:
I started by rebuilding all the top ends, installing new clutches and all the carb jetting adjustments required to get the most based on the altitudes that I ride at.
The suspension on the KX and CR were revalved and sprung for my weight and riding style.
Since all three bikes were in great condition no other repairs were required.
I have been riding them all for several years.
All are good bikes.
All are very fast.
But which is the fastest in a straight line?
Well, I hate to post this on a CR500 forum but hands down the KX500 dominated.
To be sure that I didn't fudge, I had two of my employees help me out and we all traded bikes several times.
The KX500 won every time.
I wasn't going to get into handling or longevity but since others brought it up I'll comment on what I found.
At high speeds the KX felt the most stable.
I did not see much difference between the KTM or the CR. The both had head shake to some degree or another when approaching anything over about 75-80.
It wasn't bad on either bike.
Tight twisties, the CR felt the most at home.
High speed Whoops, All three did an excellent job.
Although the CR and KX had the suspension rebuilt for my weight, the KTM was no slouch.
Braking was comparable on all three.
Now for longevity.
Well, I have not had any problem with any of the bikes.
Yes, I am fussy on maintenance and make sure that all bikes I own are cleaned, air filters cleaned, oil changed, and a quick once over is done after every ride. All my bikes look awesome for their ages so it is worth every bit of effort.
The CR and KX are getting a bit long in the tooth after countless hours and could probably use new top ends.
They still run great and have good power.
It seems after the years, either my leg has got stronger or they are kicking over a lot easier :smirk:
But, we are talking about 8 years on the KX, 7 years on the CR, and the KTM we parted after 2 years. It was a good bike, but just not what I wanted to ride.
So all in all what you ride, red, green, or orange, it's all good and a lot of the handling is up the the rider.
So, if you want to flame my findings, that's cool, were all entitled to an opinion.
I just happen to know that mine is correct :cheers:

• cwoods99508

Posted December 27, 2009 - 01:12 AM

Thanks Motox. Good comparison from someone with experience on all three. That's what I was hoping for in a comment. As much as Ive spent on this bike I'll be forced to adapt and accept the good and bad qualities of the 5-4-0!

• motoxmann

Posted December 27, 2009 - 12:38 PM

Thanks Motox. Good comparison from someone with experience on all three. That's what I was hoping for in a comment. As much as Ive spent on this bike I'll be forced to adapt and accept the good and bad qualities of the 5-4-0!

Believe me, You won't be unhappy with it.
I ride the dunes at sea level and 4000 ft.
Riding in the sand, you want all the power and stability you can get.
If you are riding mostly the dirt, crazy power isn't always a good thing :moon:
Like I said earlier you will be very happy with it.
Crack the throttle hard in 3rd or 4th and the front wheel will lift easily, up hill or down hill with any of them.
The real cool part is when you blow by a "Modern 4T" with ease :cheers:

• cmjb

Posted December 27, 2009 - 03:53 PM

I always thought my KX500's were faster than my CR500.I think the lower-mid hit of the CR can fool you into thinking it's faster but the KX has such a broader spread.The KX's never gave me a lick of trouble.Saying that,I'd still love to own any open bike including a WR500.:moon:

• motoxmann

Posted December 27, 2009 - 08:21 PM

I completely agree.
There is a WR500 for sale locally but he's dreaming at 2K :cheers:
http://eugene.craigs...1525849513.html
In case you look at the ad, it's not marked with a price, the price is from one of his many ads two months ago :moon:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Cr125 weird rolling noises and will not start! by Chowda5

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

My first bike... 01 Cr80 by dylancr80

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

oil seals 1990 cr250 wont seat by allenbstoney

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Last generation cr250s by hondaman331

• Hot  181 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.