OEM Gear doesn't fit. Is this common,or is there a trick?

6 replies to this topic
  • yam314

Posted December 21, 2009 - 04:49 PM

I am repairing my son's '07 450F,and replacing a couple of gears. I am trying to fit the 5'th gear wheel(new) onto the shaft. It meshes w/ the 3'rd gear wheel(also new).
The gear only slides on so far,then it will bind.the old gears work fine,so I don't think it is the shaft.Is there some trick I am missing?Perhaps use lapping compound? Otherwise,I am going to send it back,and have to wait another week or 2 for a replacement.

• yam314

Posted December 21, 2009 - 07:56 PM

I've been out in the garage for the past 2 hrs using lapping compound.First 150 grit, then 400 grit. Now everything seems to be working great.Just don't know why I should have to do this using OEM parts.

• grayracer513

Posted December 21, 2009 - 07:57 PM

Don't you mean the 5th and 3rd pinions? The gears on the main shaft?

It's not normal. The gear is a 2S2-17151-00-00, correct?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yam314

Posted December 22, 2009 - 06:42 AM

No Gray, it's called the 5'th wheel gear p/n-2S2-17251-00-00.
They are on the other shaft that holds the countershaft sprocket. I am going to go ahead w/ the re-assymby,as it seems to be sliding back & forth easily now. I guess that there was a burr or something that I could not visably see.

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2009 - 09:29 AM

Then you're replacing the 5th wheel because you had a problem with third or first gear skipping, or just because you found it worn?

• yam314

Posted December 22, 2009 - 09:37 AM

My son was on an MX track.After landing off of a jump,he said it just locked-up.I saw that the shift lever was bent down,and cracked.I think he landed with his big 'ol foot standing on the lever (even though he said he didn't).He was probably in 3'rd when he landed. I found one of the cogs broken off.The 5'th wheel and shift fork had wear marks as well.

• grayracer513

Posted December 22, 2009 - 09:53 AM

Ah. I wondered because I heard of someone replacing that gear to solve a problem with 5th skipping, and that, of course wasn't going to help him.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.