is the 10 yz450 all thats its cracked up to be?

34 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted December 23, 2009 - 10:36 PM

what i was trying to say was that the 10 is a big improvement over the 09 but once you compare to the rest of the competition, it's not all that great... and yes i know someone that has it

Having been on it, I completely agree with your comments here. I've already had all the bells and whistles for the past year - both good and some bad. I'm still floored however, with all the "innovation" they managed to add 10lbs. If you are coming off a previous year YZ, you'll feel the changes.

• thumpinberry

Posted December 24, 2009 - 08:44 AM

my son rode his 10 450 yesterday on the track for the first time,the track was very rutted and slippery in spots.he said he could ride this bike alot longer and not get tired.it was effortless to turn.i think the fact that the bike feels so light and will not wear you out as quickly will be the differance compared to other 450's.we have been racing a 250 2 stroke because of how quick you get tired on a 450.hope this bike helps us,but who knows.my son does love the bike!!

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted December 24, 2009 - 08:54 AM

As far as what any of the "shoot-outs" say,:

Posted Image

Aww... did they hurt your feelings grey? :moon:

• racerxx276

Posted December 24, 2009 - 09:29 AM

Having been on it, I completely agree with your comments here. I've already had all the bells and whistles for the past year - both good and some bad. I'm still floored however, with all the "innovation" they managed to add 10lbs. If you are coming off a previous year YZ, you'll feel the changes.

according to MXA it only weighs 5.5 lbs over the 09. The Ti spring is gone along with adding the EFI system...

I'll take my 2010 over my 09 any day.
I also have to laugh at those folks that how heavy it is to pick up.. can you really tell me you can feel a 5 lb difference when lifting something thats 240 lbs? The more of you that don't like it or won't/can't buy one is all the better for me!
Have a Merry Christmas!

• mediumfast

Posted December 24, 2009 - 09:57 AM

my mates lookin at buyin a new 10 450. hes been humming and harring about wheather its worth all the coin. is it much better than a 09 yz450? or just a shade better?

will let you know when i get mine.

• eericksen

Posted December 24, 2009 - 11:28 AM

In 2008, I had an '08 KX450F. Then, I went to the 09 KX450F. I thought both bikes were great. My buddy has an 09 CRF450 which I've ridden quite a bit. I've also spent a few hours on the 09 YZ 450F. I've ridden these bikes extensively in Northern and Southern Cal.

Now I'm on the 10 YZ 450 and I must say that I really like. My first ride was at Glen Helen a few weeks back for the Motocross Action ride day. Here's what impressed me the most about the bike: I had sold the Kawi two months previously and had been waiting for the new bike. I showed up to Glen Helen totaly out of shape and put in an easy 15 laps with National-level nasty conditions. No fatigue, no arm pump - the thing is just easy to ride, man! Turns great, suspension is pretty darn good for stock. It is the most fun I've had on a motorcycle in years. The gearing needs changing, it can be hard to start. The Power Tuner is fantastic. The intake noise is barely noticeable and not offensive.

The next day, we did a cross-country ride in the high desert outside Victorville. I backed the clickers out and was good to go.

The price sucks, but that aside it is the most fun, easiest to ride bike on the market. I'm glad I went for the new bike.

-Everet

• LEMMON1

Posted December 24, 2009 - 02:54 PM

so outta curiosity for everyone who has rode it...has does it compare to a 07-08 crf 450

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • freerider_australia

Posted December 24, 2009 - 04:11 PM

i took a chance and purchased the 10 model and are amazed at how good it is it rides like no other yz it turns well power low to mid is exelent very responsive and if you dont like the snapy power you can detune or tune up if you want even more response with the power tuner if you get a 10 get the power tuner it is amazing how much you can change power delivery bike feel a bit like a 250f has a light well balanced feeling havent had a real chance to to give the suspention a real work out yet i was only riding trails it felt good
dislikes the air intake sound seem loud but i think the exhaust sound is a bit louder as well the combination of the 2 makes it loud it not deafing
people have also said it has a bit of engine vibration it dident seem to bad to me seem normal
overall it a great bike its only going to get better each year as they treak it
i was comparing with my 08 the 10 is a lot beter by a lottttt

• moto278

Posted December 24, 2009 - 04:24 PM

we got snow up here, and its the first 450 ive ridden. but the little riding i have done have been very impressed. very easy to ride, claws thru snow banks to find traction no matter how deep! all my expierence is comin from a 250f but must say this bike is amazing. vibration? if you complain about it, fabricate rubber motor mounts to cut bak and get those bar inserts. too loud? doesnt seem any louder than my 07 yz250f with the 94 db pc race system. intake noise? i guess i dont notice when im riding cause im more focused on riding? feels balanced for me, havent gotten a tuner or played with clickers. starts real easy for me i guess, if i kill it when riding tho it doesnt start in gear. course my 250 was the same way til it all got good nd broke in so ill wait and see on that

• freerider_australia

Posted December 24, 2009 - 04:41 PM

we got snow up here, and its the first 450 ive ridden. but the little riding i have done have been very impressed. very easy to ride, claws thru snow banks to find traction no matter how deep! all my expierence is comin from a 250f but must say this bike is amazing. vibration? if you complain about it, fabricate rubber motor mounts to cut bak and get those bar inserts. too loud? doesnt seem any louder than my 07 yz250f with the 94 db pc race system. intake noise? i guess i dont notice when im riding cause im more focused on riding? feels balanced for me, havent gotten a tuner or played with clickers. starts real easy for me i guess, if i kill it when riding tho it doesnt start in gear. course my 250 was the same way til it all got good nd broke in so ill wait and see on that

get the power tuner it worth every cent you can go from mild to wild power
the vibration is not a issue only noticed on feet not hands
had a bit of trouble starting but i figured it out now it 1 or 2 kicks hot and 3 dead cold it seem to like to start just before top dead centre defently easyer than carby model
i dont care what the magazine say about the bike its a giant leap forward

• moto278

Posted December 24, 2009 - 07:59 PM

i dont care about magazines. its been a long time since yamaha have won a shootout in the mags but somehow every year 'yamaha has the best suspension out of the crate'. for me, good suspension is way more important than a strong motor. and for me, this bike has both! but... being 'completely redesigned' my only worry is defects like honda and kaw did last year with the throttle bodies. but from the sound of it yamaha has done way more testing, and completely designed the efi for the bike, not pull it off a street bike or sled and throw it on the dirt bike. but only time will tell.

• mxboy2661

Posted December 24, 2009 - 08:08 PM

,ive been on yams since 00, i race 25/30A Top 3-5 guy, not so impressed road 09kx450 w F/Csuspension and was blown away, just got aproved for kawi card and im gettin 2010 kx450! fore whatever thats worth .. i bought the hype, and im totally unimpressed!

• moto278

Posted December 24, 2009 - 09:03 PM

already got one. 2 bikes is enough for me haha

• Mike546

Posted December 25, 2009 - 09:41 AM

,ive been on yams since 00, i race 25/30A Top 3-5 guy, not so impressed road 09kx450 w F/Csuspension and was blown away, just got aproved for kawi card and im gettin 2010 kx450! fore whatever thats worth .. i bought the hype, and im totally unimpressed!

So did you ride the 2010 Yamaha, and if you did what stands out on the Green Machine that swayed your decision?

• ProMed

Posted December 25, 2009 - 12:38 PM

Have any pics?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.