timing??? Argh!

2 replies to this topic
  • yamaha mark

Posted December 20, 2009 - 09:17 PM

hi to all.after destroying the top end on my yz400f i got all the new bits i needed to rebuild.i put it all back together with what i thought the correct timing settings and put it all back in the bike.now it wont start!i tryed to follow the manual that i downloaded from yamaha but the pictures were of very poor quality.can someone please explain to me simply how to set the timing properly please.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 20, 2009 - 11:19 PM

Download a manual for a 2001 or 2 YZ426. The timing sets up the same way, and the manual uses drawings rather than photos, so they're much easier to see.

With the crank at TDC, the E mark on the exhaust cam should align with the gasket surface of the head at 9:00 o'clock, and the I mark on the intake should align with the head at 3:00. Be sure to check it with tension on the chain.

• yamaha mark

Posted December 21, 2009 - 01:30 AM

thanks i will give that a go. :moon:

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.