Enough Said.....

4 replies to this topic
  • daveyg

Posted September 28, 2000 - 08:03 AM

This goes out to all of the supporters of the 426. Concerning the issues of gearboxes breaking, clutches failing, gas tanks leaking, hub's shattering (most likely human error), and any other glitch of the day you can come up with; these problems are best settled with the source, Yamaha. If they don't want to help, then I say let the buyer take a stand if he/she decides. I personally have taken a stand and have stated my case, but that's just me. I also welcome supporters to join me, since a case is best built on facts and not hearsay. If there is such a thing as a lemon with the 426's, maybe I got one. But, I haven't had three gearbox failures, nor three failures of any other kind, so I wouldn't scream Lemon. I will say that I've had my share of disapointments with my 426 with my gearbox stuff, but other than that, I have't had the other problems. Given, I did replace the clutch basket once I got my bike as a precautionary measure, but my sprocket bolts are as tight as they came new, my gas tank is sealed for the moment, and my header pipe is red hot in a dark room just like every other 400 and 426. I love my 426, I truly do. She's a great bike, but I will sell her and get something that I feel better about. I just don't trust the tranny since I've heard many cases of failures here and elsewhere and I'm also hearing similar disconcerted noises.

As for all of the devoted fans out there, I will support ya. If it was me that was hammering away every weekend on my 426 without a hiccup, I'd be happy to. Just isn't that way this year. Maybe 2001 will treat me better with bikes that I buy. And maybe the manufacturer will to. I'm in this sport for the long haul, so let the hauling continue. OH, and thanks Derwood for your admission that Yamaha should do something about certain issues. At least I can say that there's empathy out there for a fellow motox'er.

Ciao,

Daveyg

• Derwood

Posted September 28, 2000 - 04:37 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the props, now good luck. If you need anything else let me know..

------------------
Derwood,
trapped in IL.
I've escaped! I'm heading back to Cali and beautiful Jawbone and Glamis......
99YZ400

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Numpsy

Posted September 29, 2000 - 01:23 AM

Chin up Dave,
There is allways a better tomorrow !!!!

Regards Numpsy

• holeshot

Posted September 29, 2000 - 10:05 AM

Davyg:

I haven't had any major problems with my 426, but if something major such as a transmission failed, I'd fix it and put it up for sale immediately (as would most other riders). Just because it's a race bike is no excuse for a big$$ problem within a year.
But on the bright side, it's great excuse to buy a new bike :) - do I see orange in your future?
Maybe if I ride mine a little harder, it'll break, then I'll get one of those.....well this is the YZF board, so I can't say.

• daveyg

Posted October 01, 2000 - 07:34 PM

Holeshot,

Thanks for the moto inspiration. Your absolutely right about having that excuse to buy a 2001. I have one and I think I'm going to use it once my 426 is gone. Maybe an 01 426 after I read some of the tests. I do like the fact that Honda is coming out with a 4 banger motox'er though. But, first year and all? That could land me back in jail with a hefty repair bill. I don't wnat a repeat of 2000 anytime in the next decade. Maybe Cannondale, once they work out their kinks. So, we'll see, but the future looks bright however I go. -- I'm just itching to ride and winter is approaching....The winter series in Florida is looking like a possibility if a new bike is under the Christmas tree. cheers guys.

daveyg

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.