2003 yz450f pounds of compression?

2 replies to this topic
  • jturnbull329

Posted December 19, 2009 - 05:46 PM

I have a 03 yz450f and i was wondering what the stock pounds of compression is? and what is the lowest it should get before i do a topend?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jaybird67k

Posted December 20, 2009 - 06:09 AM

I have never checked a bike but I've checked alot of car engines. Never seen the need to check a bike since it has one cylinder and car engines having multiple where your comparing cylinder pressure. Although you can tell alot about a engines health with a simple pressure test.
Most stock cars have about 140 to 150 new but they run fine at 120 PSI.

As you know dirt bike pistons, rings, and cylinders are replaced by amount of time in service but I say if it runs good run it, after all I put 400 hours on my 426 before rebuilding.
The 426 has 12.5 to 1 compression ratio I believe so I always thought the PSI would be 185-200 PSI..........but that's a guess.

Ok, rambling is over for now.

Later, Jason

• grayracer513

Posted December 20, 2009 - 09:05 AM

Since the bike has auto decompression, a meaningful compression test can't be done. If it didn't have it, you couldn't kick it through, so...

Leak down tests are the only accurate gauge of cylinder sealing and condition.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.