WR tranny (1st gear case grinding)

This is for shrubitup and everyone who wants to know how much to grind.

After installing the 1st gear and shaft, you lightly turn the gear to mark the case. I only had two places touching at first but...

IMG_6273.jpg

IMG_6276.jpg

Once done, I tried the gear again and realized I had to do more.

IMG_6282.jpg

IMG_6283.jpg

So I decided to do all the way around.

IMG_6284.jpg

IMG_6287.jpg

IMG_6288.jpg

IMG_6290.jpg

Now, it spins totally free.

I removed 1mm or less, it took longer to prepare everything then to grind.

This is the dremel tip I used, it was like butter.

IMG_6305.jpg

Good luck !!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Good one. I was wondering how it was done.

I might do 1st and second next time I replace the crank.

Second gear ratio would not change for me as I have the 01 engine and the ratio is the same from what I recall.

Therefore I should end up with only a lower first gear.

What I liked about the full WR tranny was the increased versatility, the YZ has the type of power spread that lends itself to the wider gaps and easily pulls the higher 5th gear. Of course it obviously complements my style of riding in the woods, I'm not much for slam bang riding (ie:brake slide into the corner, shift down and come out sideways). And as I have said before it really helps in the nasty, rocky and steep places to get started again and have a lower 2nd so you can short shift to help out the ole gyro. I don't consider myself a motocrosser, but really didn't feel it hindered me when I do participate.

• 2 weeks later...

mtdirtbag-

I have a 00 yz250 and I was thinking about putting a wr gear set in it , I was able to get it titled and did a lot of dual sport rides last year, but the gearing was less than ideal , (having a kdx200 pass you on a open road sucks)

Do you know how much MPH I will gain on top of 5th? also did you/have you swap/swapped the primary drive from the WR?

My bike-

00 YX250

stock bore wiseco rotating assembly and piston

e-line lighting stator

13/50 gears

everything else mostly stock - for the moment

Judging from the pics, could the removal of material be more accurately done on a lathe? Or would the set-up be more work than it's worth?

It takes more time to tape everything up then to grind.

That stuff is really soft + what we have to remove is a very small amount.

Nummbr 7, I can only guess what the top speed is. One, its been awhile and two you always think you're going 100mph when tapped out! My best guess would be in the 70's, I do know that I could stay with the KTM's that had 6 spds (for the most part) and in cross country races straight stretch two track made the butt cheeks clench.

CaptDan: as said the amount is so minute that you could do 10 before you where set-up.

Nummbr 7, I can only guess what the top speed is. One, its been awhile and two you always think you're going 100mph when tapped out! My best guess would be in the 70's, I do know that I could stay with the KTM's that had 6 spds (for the most part) and in cross country races straight stretch two track made the butt cheeks clench.

I really don't mind the stock yz gearing in the woods, I guess what I would mainly be trying to gain is being able to cruise at 45-50mph and not be at 8000 rpms,( on my dyno with the 13/50 gears I only hit 60mph on the top of 5th).

From what I gather the WR gears have a lower 1st and 2nd so I guess I could swap to the WR gears then go way up in sprockets like 15/48 or something then end up with roughly the same first gear ratio as the YZ but maybe +25mph on top of 5th, should make a more reasonable cruise RPM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...