I love my WR but....

25 replies to this topic
  • rkwfxd1

Posted December 18, 2009 - 06:57 PM

I have to admit it is pretty impressive that 11 of the top 15 teams in the Baja 1000 this year were on CRF450Xs. One KLX450R took second place (by three minutes) and there was a Beta and two KTMs in the top 15. Zero WRs.

• yrun

Posted December 18, 2009 - 07:44 PM

Do you plan on racing the baja? If not does it really matter so long as your bike is getting the job done?

• woods-rider

Posted December 18, 2009 - 11:04 PM

riding is 90% rider and 10% machine. What brand they ride says nothing about the companies (especially with all the aftermarket the pros use)

• davemaximus

Posted December 18, 2009 - 11:21 PM

I suppose to each his own... I have no plans to be racing in the BAJA 1000 anytime soon, however... I love my WR... I own a Beta 450RS and love that as well for my Enduro rides, and stick with my WR on the single track trails... I suppose it all boils down to the riding you want to do... :moon: regardless, any ride is a good ride..

• BKRacing

Posted December 19, 2009 - 12:31 AM

Honda support is why there are so many Hondas racing, I believe. I am not a honda fan but if I decided to race Baja it would make things easier knowing if you break down or flat a honda support truck is never far away. Still would rather have my wr though.

• Bandit9

Posted December 19, 2009 - 06:17 AM

That wasn't a KLX. It was a KX450F. It was on the cover of the last Dirt Bike magazine.

I don't give a poo what "they" are riding. I like my WR.

• Pguard

Posted December 19, 2009 - 06:23 AM

You can be sure the WR is good enough to win there with the right rider.

• JM450

Posted December 19, 2009 - 10:55 AM

As BK said above. I think it has more to do with factory support than anything else. If you had the same money in the WR program they'd be winning.

• stev0

Posted December 19, 2009 - 09:18 PM

Baja 1000 vs the Dakar ---

Fretigne run the crap out of the bigger bikes on the more technical stages.

Posted Image

• thumperjp

Posted December 20, 2009 - 04:31 AM

see topic following : http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=845288

WR450F is still comptetitive.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Copperworld10

Posted December 20, 2009 - 10:23 AM

Michael Korenwinder won the solo class in 2008 on a WR450...He had zero issues and loved the bike. He lives in central Cal and works at D&E Yamaha in Visalia CA..They call him Korny, he is in his 40s and can ride forever. Also a super nice guy...

• rkwfxd1

Posted December 20, 2009 - 04:05 PM

I shopped long and hard before I bought my WR. My local dealer also sells Hondas and I have been a Honda rider all my life so it would have been real easy for me to buy the CRF over the WR but in the end, the best bike fore me was and is the WR over the CRF, KLX, and KTM. I love the bike.

However, what ever reason or excuse you want to attach to it, rider, rider support, tire sponsor, whatever, I still think it is impression for ANY brand to take the top ll out of 15 spots in the 1000. I doesn't matter that last year or the year before one guy did well on a WR or a Beta or anything else. Heck, Kawasaki DOMINATED the 1000 for about ten years straight. That was impressive too.

Eleven out of the top 15 spots is impressive no matter what sport you are talking about.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 21, 2009 - 09:45 AM

And that is all it is

• rkwfxd1

Posted December 21, 2009 - 11:48 AM

Yep but I bet if WRs took 11 out of 15 top positions some of my fellow WR owners would actually admit that it is impressive.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 21, 2009 - 01:03 PM

Yep but I bet if WRs took 11 out of 15 top positions some of my fellow WR owners would actually admit that it is impressive.

Not really, its just a race...

Whats impressive about the WR is the fact that it can go 300+ hours with out a valve adjustment :moon:

• rkwfxd1

Posted December 21, 2009 - 05:12 PM

Whats impressive about the WR is the fact that it can go 300+ hours with out a valve adjustment :moon:

That right there my friend is one MAJOR reason I bought the WR over all those others.

• FzerozeroT

Posted December 21, 2009 - 06:00 PM

Take one out for a ride, I did, not that impressed. 06 WR vs '10 CRF450X Possibly 'easier' to ride, but had nowhere near the launch out of corners as the WR and front end had no 'feel'.

• rkwfxd1

Posted December 21, 2009 - 07:35 PM

I never got a chance to ride a CRFX when I was shopping. A buddy of mine rode the CRFR and said it was kind of like a light switch, BIG power hit and instant arm pump.

I was already leaning towards the WR and I met a guy in Gorman that let me take a short ride on his completely stock 08. Even plugged up I pretty much knew instantly that it was the bike for me. I have been totally comfortable on my WR from day one.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted December 21, 2009 - 10:01 PM

• rkwfxd1

Posted December 22, 2009 - 08:54 AM

Why are you clueless?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.