09 WR450F Build, AIS, Exhaust, Speedo Swap, Weight Reduction

83 replies to this topic
  • tribalbc

Posted December 30, 2009 - 05:29 PM

I know I have stated here a few times that I wanted to build this bike to be as close to an R version as possible. I wanted a lighter feeling and handling bike with scoot closer to a YZF but with the magic button and green sticker. But I have to say, I am not sure this bike really needs the YZ cams. I am fairly impressed with WR motor and for tight technical trail riding, I dont think the R cams are would be a benefit for this type of riding. The power delivery is next to perfect for my liking and for the type of riding I do. I will know better when I get to ride it in a more wide open area to compare. Which I may be doing some high desert riding this weekend.

I felt the same way. But since I was putting a new piston and cam chain in I thought I would try the YZ cams and 13.5-1 piston. With my 08 cams and HC piston this bike is even easier to ride in the tight woods. The power is unbelievably smooth and the bike is a traction monster. The power delivery just wants to hook up and not spin but it has more grunt and more on top. I find I have less engine braking too which I think is a good thing. But I've still got to sort out my estart with the yz cams, it's about 50/50. But I just did the rebuild this fall and put about 8hrs on it. I haven't played with the jetting yet. This spring.
Not saying it's something to do right now, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

Here's my thread from my rebuild

http://www.thumperta...rmance upgrades

• projected

Posted January 19, 2010 - 07:52 PM

Some of the YZ450 guys are buying WR parts to route their breathers like the stock WR. Now the WR guys are routing their breathers like YZ's :bonk:

We should work out a way to trade parts :banghead:

I'm surprised to hear that Ebatt is out of business as I just gave them my credit card number today.... I guess I need to look into this.

Nice bike RidenRed, I just got started on my like new 07 WR I picked up with only 5 hours on it.

I've got an SSS fork off a YZ450 showing up here on Thursday. I love the suspension on my YZ250 2T and didn't want to revalve the WR fork only to realize it doesn't compare to the SSS.

• stev0

Posted January 20, 2010 - 10:23 PM

Nice build!

• ASternad

Posted January 21, 2010 - 07:43 AM

RidenRed,
Have you got the battery / Tubliss items worked out yet?
If so what kind of ride report can you share?
I'm also interested in how you are going to get a Plate, I've done it for my KTM and assume it would be the same dance for a WR.

• pdivizzle0112

Posted February 16, 2010 - 07:54 PM

why does it have a red sticker?

• RidenRed

Posted February 16, 2010 - 08:16 PM

RidenRed,
Have you got the battery / Tubliss items worked out yet?
If so what kind of ride report can you share?
I'm also interested in how you are going to get a Plate, I've done it for my KTM and assume it would be the same dance for a WR.

Yes, I did install the battery and got the tubliss install with new shoes. First off, the stock tires pretty much are the worst tire combo I have ever ridden. I went with the new Michelin S12 XC's front and rear. We all know the S12 is one of the best tires our there but the chunked off to easy. The new XC compound and are suppose to be 25% stronger. I have only 1 ride on them so far and it felt like I was riding a differnt bike. They worked better than I expected which brings me to the Tubliss. I ran 10psi in the Tubliss. I only have 1 day of testing but I am pretty much sold on the fact that I will always be running the Tubliss system. You could actually feel the tire hooking up on roots, rocks and anything I threw in front of me. I have never riden a tire at that low of a PSI and it makes a huge difference for hooking up. I almost looped it two seperate time when I went to wheelie over some log crossings. Between the S12 XC's and the Tubliss, I am sold. Although installing them did take some time. You have to change the way you install tires.

The Turn Tech Battery is working great. I actually got both of them from Joe at Turn Tech to test. I started out with the 2.5 smaller version but I had some issues with it starting my bike even after it was warmed up. Occationally it woudl start it or sometimes i would need to hold the starter on for 5 seconds or more to get it fired up. Somethings trying that multipale times to fire it up. Then I put in the 5.0 and it starts the even when it is cold instantly. Much better cranking power and at the additional 10oz I can live with it. It is still about 3.5lbs lighter than stock with more power than stock.

why does it have a red sticker?

That was on PVC pipe that I use on the fork tube with old Honda Red Sticker I had on it. I am not sure why I had that on there. I think I was just making sure that PVC was gong to fit so when I got my new sticker I could cover up that old honda red sticker. It does have a green sticker.

• pdivizzle0112

Posted February 17, 2010 - 02:25 PM

how hard is it to do an oild filter change with that DRD headpipe? i was thinking about going with the drd system for my wr but i think i may go fmf instead for that reason

• RidenRed

Posted February 17, 2010 - 04:10 PM

how hard is it to do an oild filter change with that DRD headpipe? i was thinking about going with the drd system for my wr but i think i may go fmf instead for that reason

Header does not go anywhere near the oil filter cover. No issues at all with changing filter. Doug D. would not build a pipe that would get in the way of something important like that. He does some serious R&D on his products. I have ran both FMF and Dr.D. and I am really happy with Dr.D stuff. Especially on a Yamaha

• ohioryder

Posted February 17, 2010 - 04:54 PM

Header does not go anywhere near the oil filter cover. No issues at all with changing filter. Doug D. would not build a pipe that would get in the way of something important like that. He does some serious R&D on his products. I have ran both FMF and Dr.D. and I am really happy with Dr.D stuff. Especially on a Yamaha

Pictures...Pictures please. Everything I've heard, including a response from Dr.D's, has indicated that you need to loosen up the head pipe so it can rotate out of the way to remove the Yamaha's oil filter cover.

• RidenRed

Posted February 17, 2010 - 09:28 PM

Pictures...Pictures please. Everything I've heard, including a response from Dr.D's, has indicated that you need to loosen up the head pipe so it can rotate out of the way to remove the Yamaha's oil filter cover.

I will take some pics and post. Hang tight but I have no idea why Dr.D would say that. The oil filter cover has plenty of room. No issue with header. Atleast on my 2009, not sure of other years.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ohioryder

Posted February 18, 2010 - 07:36 AM

Its the top bolt for the oil filter that is the problem. Some have been able to barely get to it to loosen it up for removal. Some have also installed a stud w/nut instead of the factory bolt.

• RidenRed

Posted February 18, 2010 - 07:38 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

As you can see there is plenty of room.

• projected

Posted February 18, 2010 - 09:46 AM

I just called Dubach and they are still saying that the head pipe must be loosened or removed. Looking at yours it's quite a swing in tolerances. Strange...

• JDLowrance

Posted February 18, 2010 - 10:14 AM

Red obviously has one of the older headers. The new ones definitely droop much lower requiring loosening of the head pipe for filter removal. I know this because I also have the older style header on my 08 YZ Supermoto bike and my buddy has the newer version. Needless to say he's not happy when it comes to filter changes. I specifically requested the older design so I wouldn't have to deal with this issue.

Dubach did this so they could facilitate the Rad lowering kit. It won't work with the older header design.

John

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted February 18, 2010 - 10:41 AM

The new ones definitely droop much lower requiring loosening of the head pipe for filter removal.

This is SPECIFICALLY why I did not go with Dr. D on my 08...

• ohioryder

Posted February 18, 2010 - 11:48 AM

Thank you Ridenred

• RidenRed

Posted February 19, 2010 - 12:05 PM

I just called Dubach and they are still saying that the head pipe must be loosened or removed. Looking at yours it's quite a swing in tolerances. Strange...

This is strange. Is it Chelsey that is giving you this info at Dr.D?

Red obviously has one of the older headers. The new ones definitely droop much lower requiring loosening of the head pipe for filter removal. I know this because I also have the older style header on my 08 YZ Supermoto bike and my buddy has the newer version. Needless to say he's not happy when it comes to filter changes. I specifically requested the older design so I wouldn't have to deal with this issue.
John

Interesting. I can not confirm this. All I can say is that I am pretty sure I have the new model as it has the black end cap on the muffler. I specifically asked for the newer version when ordering because I wanted the black coated end to match the black coated side cases and valve cover on the 09 version.

I had a CRF450 with this same exhaust (different bike of course) with no issues either. Moving the head pipe to get to the top bolt on the oil filter cover would really bother me seeing I change the oil on every ride. I would not be happy about that. You would have to losen up the entire exhaust incluing muffler to move the header up. Not to mention getting to the header bolts are a pain with the right side radiator installed.

What ever version I have I have no issues as you can clearly see in the photos.

• ohioryder

Posted February 19, 2010 - 12:32 PM

hey RiddenRed...I really appreciate you taking the time to take pictures and for the build project following. Any chance you have the part#'s for you Dr.D pipe? This was the sole issue for me NOT getting one and it looks like your system will work fine.

• JDLowrance

Posted February 21, 2010 - 06:16 PM

Red,

It's not the whole pipe that's different, it's just the header. I have the new system as well. It's just the header that's the older version. No worries, it'll run just the same with either header.

John

• MaddogYZ

Posted February 22, 2010 - 06:01 PM

Very nice setup man! Hows the sound of the Dr D, woods friendly and responsible noise? I see you didn't add any rad guards, I know it's extra wieght but greatly bulletproofs the bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.