09 WR450F Build, AIS, Exhaust, Speedo Swap, Weight Reduction

83 replies to this topic
  • FzerozeroT

Posted December 21, 2009 - 08:20 PM

Did you weigh it before parting it out? which parts do you think are going to be the best value for wight loss, I got a pipe and was disappointed that I only saved 100-200 grams, road bikes was so much easier, SV1000 I saved 8kg changing exhausts:banana:

• RidenRed

Posted December 21, 2009 - 08:24 PM

I did not weight it first. The biggest weight saving I will be getting are from the 2 parts I dont have yet. Ebatt battery and Neutech Tubliss set up. That will be about 8lbs total in those 2 upgrades alone.

• tribalbc

Posted December 21, 2009 - 09:11 PM

I did not weight it first. The biggest weight saving I will be getting are from the 2 parts I dont have yet. Ebatt battery and Neutech Tubliss set up. That will be about 8lbs total in those 2 upgrades alone.

Here's my 07 WR450 Jenny Craig list

Ebatt Battery including ground change 5lbs
08 YZ exhaust 2.5lbs
Kickstand removal and replace peg mount YZ 2.5lbs
AIS removal 1.5lbs
YZ Ti shock spring if your sag #'s work for you 3.5-4lbs
Rear sprocket aluminum or ironman 2.5lbs
Ti footpegs .5lbs
Eibach fork springs needed to go up a rate on forks anyways and GYTR front brake hose clamp .5lbs

My bike is plated and raced Hare Scrambles here in BC. Lucky thing for me it's plated because BC is like Cali now for plating :cheers:

I'm not sold on the Nutech tubeliss. By the hand scale they don't feel any lighter to me than a HD tube and rimlock.
There's another weight loss for you, run one rim lock :moon:
I've been doing it for 3yrs now with no issue.

• RidenRed

Posted December 21, 2009 - 10:15 PM

YZ Ti shock spring if your sag #'s work for you 3.5-4lbs.

Wow, that is a lot also. I might have to look at that.

I'm not sold on the Nutech tubeliss. By the hand scale they don't feel any lighter to me than a HD tube and rimlock.

Yeah, but you have to hold both your rim locks and HD tubes in your hand to decide this one. I will weight both wheels before and after when I swap. There are a few other reasons to go Tubeliss besides the weight which are almost better reasons then the weight lost.

I did remove the kickstand. Peg mount will loose 2.5? How much is the new mount?

Yeah, but you have to hold both your rim locks and HD tubes in your hand to decide this one. I will weight both wheels before and after when I swap. There are a few other reasons to go Tubeliss besides the weight which are almost better reasons then the weight lost.

• Parx_400

Posted December 21, 2009 - 10:55 PM

Thank you for your input once again. I heard you the first time.

Good luck on the plate. It is possible to do but some people have had them pulled after. I have heard the trick of brining it in from another state with 8000 miles on it works. I have an 05 that was done after the law.

It feels good to break this law.

• the_smoo

Posted December 22, 2009 - 04:46 AM

I had heard that Yamaha were stingy on the factory lube job, but that is outright ridiculous!

Great pics and info.. some serious time and money is going into that bike.

• tribalbc

Posted December 22, 2009 - 08:14 AM

I did remove the kickstand. Peg mount will loose 2.5? How much is the new mount?

The mount will lose as much as the kickstand and spring. 2.5lbs total stand and mount. It's only like $8. 06 or 07 YZ work I know anyways.

Like I said you can just run 1 rimlock anyways. I've done the hand scale twice on these tubelisss and I'm not impressed. It would be good to see some true #'s.

• RidenRed

Posted December 22, 2009 - 09:25 AM

I had heard that Yamaha were stingy on the factory lube job, but that is outright ridiculous!

Great pics and info.. some serious time and money is going into that bike.

Yeah, every new bike I have bought no matter Honda or Yamaha look the same. I dont like looking at my parts price list even with getting everything at 40 to 50% discount. I plan on having this bike for 3 or 4 years.

The mount will lose as much as the kickstand and spring. 2.5lbs total stand and mount. It's only like $8. 06 or 07 YZ work I know anyways.

Like I said you can just run 1 rimlock anyways. I've done the hand scale twice on these tubelisss and I'm not impressed. It would be good to see some true #'s.

I will be ordering today. Is it yz250 or yzf450? Thank you for the input. And I will post up real pics with numbers on the pre and post tubeliss.

Edited by RidenRed, December 22, 2009 - 12:52 PM.

• RidenRed

Posted December 22, 2009 - 10:43 AM

Well I just found out today that Ebatt is going out of business after charging me for the Ebatt. Does anyone know how to get another battery like this? I think there may have been some talk on this site about someone else that builds them?

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted December 22, 2009 - 11:30 AM

If you want to build a TurnTech battery, PM and I can help you out and it will save you some $$$

Edited by 123BigcoopDawg576, December 22, 2009 - 01:21 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted December 22, 2009 - 12:08 PM

Well I just found out today that Ebatt is going out of business after charging me for the Ebatt. Does anyone know how to get another battery like this? I think there may have been some talk on this site about someone else that builds them?

Supposed to be just as good

http://turntechbatte...ry/Welcome.html

Too bad about Ebatt. I bought 2 battery's from Andre, he was a good guy. First one to really explore this tech.

• Spyder500r

Posted December 22, 2009 - 12:13 PM

Awesome build thread man, bike looks sweet.. :moon:

• Justin Hambleton

Posted December 22, 2009 - 01:32 PM

I can't wait to see the final product. Keep the pics coming.

• rkwfxd1

Posted December 22, 2009 - 04:49 PM

If you used a credit card to order it call your cc company and dispute the charges. You should be able to get you money back. Good luck.

• RidenRed

Posted December 22, 2009 - 06:54 PM

Andre emailed me saying he has refunded my money, although it has not shown up in my account as of yet. That was around noon today. Not sure if it may take a day or not but if it is not in my account tomorrow morning I will be doing that.

• Scubdawg

Posted December 22, 2009 - 07:02 PM

I like this thread ALOT!!! You actually give me new hope on my WR..Are you going to use the same plastics and graphics,or are you going a diff color also? After seeing yours, I think Im going to get rid of my speedo. Keep up the good work!

• RidenRed

Posted December 22, 2009 - 07:12 PM

Awesome build thread man, bike looks sweet.. :moon:

Thank you. I will have it done Christmas Day as I am planning on riding the day after. I will post pics next week once I do. I will then be getting my Tubeliss, Battery and R&D parts some time mid January and as I get those I will post up the install of each. Plus I will get into the Ryco Dual Sport wiring kit sometime next month also as I want to take my time on that and do it right. Then I need to figure out how I can weight the bike for accurate numbers to see how much it lost in the whole build.

• Spyder500r

Posted December 22, 2009 - 07:20 PM

Thank you. I will have it done Christmas Day as I am planning on riding the day after. I will post pics next week once I do. I will then be getting my Tubeliss, Battery and R&D parts some time mid January and as I get those I will post up the install of each. Plus I will get into the Ryco Dual Sport wiring kit sometime next month also as I want to take my time on that and do it right. Then I need to figure out how I can weight the bike for accurate numbers to see how much it lost in the whole build.

You could try a scrap yard scale, there pretty accurate

• tribalbc

Posted December 22, 2009 - 07:53 PM

The only true test would to be to roll the bike out of the dealership, weigh it no gas, then weigh it on the same scale after build.
That said I'd like to weigh my bike just to know what it weighs. It's gained weight to with rad guards, skid plate and disc guards.

I've heard a bike stand on a bathroom scale works...

The weight loss that counts though is in the battery, exhaust area. Rear shock spring weight to a degree as well. High center of gravity weight, really noticed a handling difference when I lost this weight.

• RidenRed

Posted December 22, 2009 - 09:39 PM

You could try a scrap yard scale, there pretty accurate

That is a great idea. I have thought about that because we have one close to my house. They probably would not care.

I like this thread ALOT!!! You actually give me new hope on my WR..Are you going to use the same plastics and graphics,or are you going a diff color also? After seeing yours, I think Im going to get rid of my speedo. Keep up the good work!

Thank you! Keeping it Blue with custom graphics from Factory Effects with red backgrounds. Speedo swap for Trailtech is a no brainer. I am hoping to sell my whole setup on ebay (speedo, mounting bracket, cable, speedo hub drive and lower fork leg) over what I paid for the replacement parts. The stock Speedo is a $300 dollar unit from Yamaha. Anyone need all this? 0 hours and miles on it! :moon:

The only true test would to be to roll the bike out of the dealership, weigh it no gas, then weigh it on the same scale after build.

I've heard a bike stand on a bathroom scale works...

I like the bike stand bathroom scale deal. That sounds like it would work.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.