This blows.. Never ending bike problems

10 replies to this topic
  • 84rm250

Posted December 16, 2009 - 12:19 PM

Well i found out where all my compression was going and why my 426 wouldn't start. The guy who inspected/rebuilt my head kinda screw'd me. I bought my 426 blown i up. broke a valve witch broke another and bent the rod while trying to inbed a valve into the piston. Needless to say rebuilt the whole motor.(did what i could and sent the rest to the shop, crank and head.)
I got the crank first so i could put the two half's back together and put the block back in the bike while i waited for the head.
I got the bike all back together besides needing the head put on it and i was one happy camper!!
I got the head back "done and ready to go" all new SS kibble-white valves, springs, hard wear, and new buckets.
I put head back on and cams timed by the man. specs.
Checked timing 4 or 5 times just to be sure before i try'd starting it and it was ok every time.
Got everything back together to were it was ready to be started and broken in. When trying to start it, it felt as if i had very little compression and i couldn't get it to start for the life of me.
I posted on here a few times, and came down to me buying new cams thinking one of mine has slipped in the sprocket when it blow up throwing the timing off.
installed new cams and still nothing.

Pulled head back off and inspected it myself finding that there were two intake valves not seating. :moon:
I took it back to the guy who rebuilt it and he just told me that i need new valve seats.. :cheers:

Is Replacing the valve seat out of the question? How much does something like this usually cost? Where can i get this done?

Sorry for the long post..

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 16, 2009 - 12:25 PM

That sucks! That is the biggest fear by for me in purchasing a bike for a friend or family. The only bright side is that you finally know what you got. Good luck. Too bad this world isn't honest.

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2009 - 12:51 PM

The seats are replaceable. However, I would NOT let the "gentleman" who did your valves touch it again. There is something seriously wrong when anyone doing a valve replacement:

• fails to recut or resurface the seats in the course of the job
  • fails to assure that the finished job seals
  • fails to note what needs to be done to correct the lack of sealing before returning the head to the customer
  • returns an assembly to the customer without having accomplished the contracted work and still has the nerve to charge for it

If what you have said is true, he owes you a refund for the labor.

Find another shop to evaluate whether the seats need replacement or whether they can be refinished as they are. If they need replacement, send it to Engine Dynamics. In fact, you might just send it there first.

• 84rm250

Posted December 16, 2009 - 01:15 PM

I would be for sure trying to get my money back but he never got payed in the first place. The guy use to work for the shop but end'd up quiting because he was never getting pay'd for his work.(long messed up storie) So i took it back to him at his house (only becuse he did the work in the first place). He seems to think it happend after i got the head back.. How, i dont know?
Thanks for the website!

• 84rm250

Posted December 16, 2009 - 01:26 PM

Just got off the phone with Engine Dynamics and WOW... about 175 for just the 3 seats in stalled and then another 175 to cut them? Maybe ebay for another head? Maybe time to part out..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxmaddman

Posted December 16, 2009 - 01:40 PM

why not send it to mxtime.com

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2009 - 02:56 PM

He seems to think it happend after i got the head back..

Right. And government spending stimulates the economy, and climate change is caused by humans. :moon: 3 fairy tales in a row.

• cowboyona426

Posted December 16, 2009 - 02:59 PM

Just got off the phone with Engine Dynamics and WOW... about 175 for just the 3 seats in stalled and then another 175 to cut them? Maybe ebay for another head? Maybe time to part out..

I would take the head you have and shove it up you-know-who's you-know-where personally. Like gray said, I can't believe someone would service a head and not check to see if the valves are seating properly. Send the head out and have the bill sent to the first "mechanic" that worked on it!

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2009 - 03:29 PM

Bear in mind that it may well be that the seats don't need to be replaced at all. If he made no attempt to refinish them, that may all they need. Again, have someone who is competent evaluate it.

• FinchFan194

Posted December 16, 2009 - 03:35 PM

Right. And government spending stimulates the economy, and climate change is caused by humans. :moon: 3 fairy tales in a row.

Damnit! I just love this guy more and more everyday!:cheers:

• 84rm250

Posted December 16, 2009 - 05:58 PM

He said he try'd recutting the seats but its to bad and needs to be replaced. I havent picked the head up yet.

I'd take the bill to the shop after having it redone but, for some reason the last 245 bucks i gave them to pay off my bill never made it in the cash registor.. Ended up in the counter guys meth pipe i'm sure, along with a bunch of other peoples money.(He was fired for this reason) And of course he was out of paper at the time and couldnt print me a receipt, and i never went back for it. (Just part of that long screwed up story)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.