cleaning head

6 replies to this topic
  • bhsballer76

Posted December 16, 2009 - 07:40 AM

So a freind of mine sunk his yz450f in a muddy pond a while back. We have completley torn the motor apart and replaced EVERYTHING on the inside. WE just got the bottom end put together and now we are ready to put the head back on.

The head has got some sand particles all over it and its pretty oily. We are looking to give it a good cleaning before installing it. What can we use to clean it? we were thinking mineral spirits, but i dont know if that will damage the valve seals.

Anyone have any suggestions on what we can use to clean the head that will be safe for all the components in the head???

Thanks.

• ForsheeMS

Posted December 16, 2009 - 08:13 AM

Kerosene or mineral spirits will work. At this point why not replace the valve seals? They're not very expensive and should be replaced while you're in this deep.

• spdfrks

Posted December 16, 2009 - 08:22 AM

I would pull the valves and soda blast the bare head and valves. Wash it all out with hot soapy water, blow dry and reassemble. Most gasket kits come with valve seals so why not replace them while you're in there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2009 - 09:37 AM

kerosene or mineral spirits will work. At this point why not replace the valve seals? They're not very expensive and should be replaced while you're in this deep.

+1...

• bhsballer76

Posted December 16, 2009 - 10:28 AM

+1...

ok, maybe i was not correct with my parts.. I meant to ask about damaging the valve seats...not the seals...i know they are a hard material but i want to make sure they wont be damaged at all..

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2009 - 11:02 AM

Same answer.

• bhsballer76

Posted December 16, 2009 - 12:43 PM

alright. Thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.