00 or 01 426 intake cam in an 02 426

3 replies to this topic
  • flapwick

Posted December 15, 2009 - 09:53 PM

Will the intake cam from a 2000 or a 2001 426 work in my 02 426?? Got a beautiful 04 450 exhaust cam from a member here on TT,and then found out my intake cam is very worn and I need a replacement. My friend said the valves were so out of adjustment,he didn't know how it fired up every time(first kick , usually!). I've had the bike since Feb. of this year and I'm glad I haven't paid too dearly for my ignorance...."Hey,it starts right up,my valves must be fine!! What's all this talk about regular valve adjustment?? ( I'm slow but I'm learning!) THANKS!!

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2009 - 11:10 PM

YZF cams are the same from the '98 YZ400 through the '02 YZ426.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flapwick

Posted December 16, 2009 - 09:09 AM

Hey grayracer! I noticed a different part # on bike bandit for the 00 intake cam,but the same # as the 2002 on the 2001 cam?????

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2009 - 09:47 AM

In double checking, I find you are correct. However, the newer cam is interchangeable. A small change in timing, and probably best used with the '01-'02 exhaust. I doubt it's a big deal in any case.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.