Shutting the Bike Off Using the De-Compression?

4 replies to this topic
  • TARKaw

Posted December 15, 2009 - 07:55 PM

Hi all,

Took my YZ426 out today to find the kill button had stopped working. I used the de-compression lever to shut it off. Anyone see any problem using this method until I track down the electrical problem?

I was kind of wondering if it might make it hard to start or foul the plug? It seemed to start fine, but this was my first ride on it so I have no benchmark and it is also my first 4stroke so I am not too familiar with this de-compression stuff...

On the bright side - I love this bike, what an awesome machine! :cheers:
Being a 2stroker for 35 years, never thought I would say that about a 4stroke dirt bike :smirk: I am now a believer :moon:

• grayracer513

Posted December 15, 2009 - 08:08 PM

We used to do that with a lot of the old thumpers back in the day, but I don't advise it on a YZF. The battering the lifter gets from this at the 1500-2000 RPM idle speed is a great deal different than what happens at cranking speeds, or even during a bump start. The lifter could be damaged by the practice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted December 16, 2009 - 08:25 AM

It would be a lot safer to just hold the brakes and dump the clutch to kill it.

• Hutchfamli

Posted December 16, 2009 - 11:49 AM

X2 just dump it. Manual says not to ever pull the lever while the bike is running.

• Forddriver45

Posted December 16, 2009 - 08:34 PM

Right by the top of the motor under the tank ther is a pile of wires .pull the tank and track the wires of the switch righ over the motor they meet and 9 times out of 10 it were the meat there they come unpluged .:moon:

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.