2010 Aftermarket Exhaust System Talk. PC, FMF,

118 replies to this topic
  • Davey762

Posted December 15, 2009 - 06:51 PM

Pro Circuit just released its new TI-4R system for the 2010. http://procircuit.com/

Watch the flash animation showing the 2010 exhausts and you'll see it. Havent found actual pics of it out of the animation though. Note the powerbomb style section on the pipe and its location. What do you guys think of it?

Just trying to decide which system to buy for my 2010 (but I have a few months to decide as its winter(snow)here) but from the reports I've heard the 2010 could use better top end (over-rev).

Now check out this fmf pipe, seems like an updated revision to their current one shown on their website. The website model has a megabomb chamber right at the beginning of the pipe upon exiting the head, but this newer model I found on vitalmx http://www.vitalmx.c...2/large/GuyB,64 has a "pot" on the header an inch or so back. This makes me think they possibly found more power using the "pot" design. What do you guys think would work better, the pot or bomb?

Ohh, then you have akrapovic in the mix too, they're chamber is within the loop. I'd like to give one of those a try as they could very well be the best on the market, but they are a little more expensive and then with the 20% off fmf and pro circuit right now they are a lot more expensive so I dont think i'll be buying one of those.

The pipe shootouts for this bike are going to be interesting..

• FinchFan194

Posted December 15, 2009 - 08:50 PM

I wouldn't bother with FMF or PC and I definately wouldn't buy Ak. I am willing to bet none of them will perform as well as the Dr.D system. Dubach has been a factory test rider for Yamaha for many moons.

• Davey762

Posted December 15, 2009 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for your input. If the shootout and real world testing from the site points me that way i will pick up a drd. The weird thing about the drd is that there is no resonance chamber like the others. I have also heard doug used a straight header with no loop during the vet nationals (which he won). Shorter header usually means more top power, correct? Longer header equals more bottom end?

• mediumfast

Posted December 15, 2009 - 09:44 PM

don't forget yoshimura.

• FinchFan194

Posted December 15, 2009 - 09:48 PM

[quote name='Davey762']Thanks for your input. If the shootout and real world testing from the site points me that way i will pick up a drd. The weird thing about the drd is that there is no resonance chamber like the others. I have also heard doug used a straight header with no loop during the vet nationals (which he won). [COLOR="Red"]Shorter header usually means more top power, correct? Longer header equals more bottom end?[/[/COLOR]QUOTE]

That is my understanding.:moon:

BTW I wouldn't trust a shootout or a dyno. I would go with real world and see what some of the guys on here with 2010's have to say. I think there are two guys maybe more with 2010's that already have DrD or are planning on DrD when they take delivery of their bike. Must say something. . .

• rickallen124

Posted December 15, 2009 - 10:46 PM

DrD does make a good exhaust as does Yoshimura. I think alot of guys are probably getting the DrD right now because it is available and its a reasonable price.

• BlackT5

Posted December 16, 2009 - 05:31 AM

A picture of the '10 pipe is on the front page of DRD's website. Its got a big loop just like the others.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 16, 2009 - 06:58 AM

don't forget yoshimura.

I would wait a few more months for more R&D and for more to come out. You need to ask yourself where do you need more power and then buy the appropriate pipe

The Yosh would be a strong possibility especially after reading the 250 pipe test
then....
Arapovic
DRD

• krony506

Posted December 16, 2009 - 09:25 AM

Just remember this, Dr.D developed the GYTR exhaust for the 2010 Yamaha.

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2009 - 09:54 AM

Just remember this, Dr.D developed the GYTR exhaust for the 2010 Yamaha.

...and Yamaha's race team uses Akro's.

That said, however, it's likely that the engines SM is using are not in a standard state of tune, and that the pipes used are not off-the-shelf units. I run DRD's on both our YZF's and they perform very well over a wide range of speeds, which is what I want. They are also pretty reasonably priced by comparison, as long as you avoid the blingy end of the scale.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted December 16, 2009 - 10:40 AM

I think I would be inclined to play with the EFI tuner to see if you can improve top end power before buying a pipe, unless you just have the money to burn of course :moon:

• Starke

Posted December 16, 2009 - 10:54 AM

Question is, Can you ride the bike WFO ? If not..take the $800 and buy 8 pairs of running shoes and see how fast you can wear them out.

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2009 - 11:09 AM

Question is, Can you ride the bike WFO ?

I'll guaranty you that I can. It's quite likely that I won't be able to do it for as long as some other people, or carry as much of the speed I generate into the next part of the course, but yes, absolutely, I can, would, and do use every bit of power provided by every motorcycle I've ever ridden. It's really sort of a worn out, somewhat lame question. What would be better would be to ask whether one is loosing races due to lack of power or not.

• MX4Life

Posted December 16, 2009 - 11:37 AM

I ordered a Dr D. on Monday, 2 week BO.:moon: I've been using Dr D. the last few years and feel it's one of the best designed pipes for Yamaha. As far as to what the factory uses, sometimes they use the brand that pays them the most. Fielding a race team is expensive.

• Davey762

Posted December 16, 2009 - 12:08 PM

Question is, Can you ride the bike WFO ? If not..take the $800 and buy 8 pairs of running shoes and see how fast you can wear them out.

Yes I can. Its about convenience. Im sure you can too if you own a 450, wouldnt it be nice if 2nd pulled a little longer so you wouldnt have to shift into 3rd then back into 2nd before a certain corner?

Wouldnt it be nice to be able to keep your bike in 3rd after a jump which leads into a corner as opposed to shifting into 4th, and then back into 3rd to do the corner? Being able to keep it in 3rd and not shift will allow you to ride longer and/or faster over the duration of a moto.

• moto278

Posted December 16, 2009 - 02:56 PM

im new to the monster bikes (450f's) but on my 250 i had the suspension revalved before any motor work. im not fast so for me handling will be my first priority with this one as well. as far as power goes. in the spring time i think ill get a tuner and see what i can do with that. then ill toy with sprockets and such before buying a pipe.

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2009 - 03:24 PM

handling will be my first priority with this one as well.

Wise choice.

• Joe_Jet

Posted December 16, 2009 - 04:34 PM

the 1st place i spend money on the yzs is exhaust. if it's a honda then suspension 1st then pipe.

also, noticed that euro bike has 49 rear sprocket vs 48. mxa recs a 49. wonder if a good pipe will pull the 48 and close that 2nd 3rd gap? 49 would also exacerbate the quick throttle response in low end.

• DMauro

Posted December 16, 2009 - 04:42 PM

+1 on the yosh!! I had drd pipes the are ok on performance but buy alot of extra packing , put new packing in like oil changes.

• Davey762

Posted December 16, 2009 - 05:21 PM

Team motoconcepts yamaha is using the fmf pipe with the "pot" instead of the bomb.
http://motocross.tra...ha/9A7J5857.JPG

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.