Acerbis plastic

14 replies to this topic
  • MaddogYZ

Posted December 15, 2009 - 06:27 PM

Wow the radiator shrouds aren't even close. They'd need some trimming with stock and are off by a mile with an aftermarket tank. I'd be really pissed if I payed for this plastic kit and it didn't come with bike when I bought it. It's bad enough I'd spend the $60 on oem shrouds and not waste my new graphics on the acerbis. Maybe i'll just put the old ratty ones back on, what do you think? :moon:

• WR450FGreg

Posted December 16, 2009 - 02:16 AM

Not actually answering your question, but for the record ......

I put Polisport plastics on my '08 WR450F and they fitted perfectly.

Greg

• johnhermes

Posted December 25, 2009 - 10:23 AM

Will YZ plastics fit on a WR? I have a 2000 WR 400

• neanderthaler

Posted December 25, 2009 - 10:43 AM

i've had the same problems with just the acerbis rad. shrouds. their other plastic fit fine. i had this shroud problem with both the stock tank and the clarke tank. i'm not a weight weenie, but the acerbis are night and day lighter than stock plastic (if you're into that sorta' thing). i think i'm gonna try ufo plastic next time around

• jlkfg

Posted December 25, 2009 - 10:46 AM

I don't personally have experience, but my buddy got them. They fit ok, but seemed very brittle. First time layed down they got the white creases and looked pretty bad. His UFO's seemed more durable, higher quality.

• ron_m

Posted December 25, 2009 - 10:59 AM

i've had the same problems with just the acerbis rad. shrouds. their other plastic fit fine. i had this shroud problem with both the stock tank and the clarke tank. i'm not a weight weenie, but the acerbis are night and day lighter than stock plastic (if you're into that sorta' thing). i think i'm gonna try ufo plastic next time around

The UFO plastics usually fit extremely well. Pretty much the same as OEM for the most part.

• tribalbc

Posted December 25, 2009 - 01:24 PM

UFO is always a good fit and the toughest plastics IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ROCKMOUNTAINTHUMPER

Posted December 25, 2009 - 01:43 PM

I put the acerbis kit on my 00' 426 and they fit great. Are the YZF and WR that different?

• MaddogYZ

Posted December 26, 2009 - 09:09 PM

I put the acerbis kit on my 00' 426 and they fit great. Are the YZF and WR that different?

Pretty sure the 00' has completely different shrouds than my 05'. Mabye they had a better mold for your bike than mine.

• Mrmonk7663

Posted December 27, 2009 - 07:40 AM

YZ and WR have differet radiator shrouds because of the fuel tank. This is the case for the 03-05 WR i believe, and might be the same situation for all year WRs....someone correct me if i'm wrong.

• Timo2824

Posted December 27, 2009 - 08:04 AM

You guys should know that Acerbis makes the oem plastics for Yamaha, Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, Honda, KTM, and Triumph. Someone at the parts house probably sent you the shrouds for a different year or model or both. So basically if you pay out for OEM you are getting Acerbis at a higher cost. Though there might be a difference in quality control. Personally I like the Polisport plastics because they are generally cheaper.

• Adammoto

Posted December 27, 2009 - 08:55 AM

I agree with the OP, the Acerbis plastics are junk. I got a set for an 09 YZ450F and hated them so much I took them off the bike. The are really flimsy and fit poorly. A buddy got the Polisport plastics instead and they look much better.

• neanderthaler

Posted December 27, 2009 - 10:29 AM

acerbis might make oem plastic, but there is a huge difference between what they sell to yamaha and what they sell as their own. they are thinner and lighter for sure. glad to here about ufo. like i said, they will be my next set. also, someone said maybe the parts guy mis-ordered, and that wasn't the case either. i ordered myself the rad. shrouds from parts unlimited and tucker rocky and they fit horribly from both suppliers. like i said though, it's only their rad. shrouds. all the other plastic fit perfectly.

• MaddogYZ

Posted December 27, 2009 - 07:49 PM

YZ and WR have differet radiator shrouds because of the fuel tank. This is the case for the 03-05 WR i believe, and might be the same situation for all year WRs....someone correct me if i'm wrong.

The 05-06 WR's have YZ shrouds.

I'll be damned, I checked the original packaging and the shrouds are for an 03-04 WR. I guess the guy before me ordered the wrong ones!

• Storch

Posted December 29, 2009 - 10:44 AM

I believe you are correct.

When I added an IMS tank to my 2003 wr450, I had to switch to YZ shrouds.

Steve

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.