Gearing questions 02 WR426F

5 replies to this topic
  • mweitz

Posted December 14, 2009 - 05:53 PM

Noob sprocket questions

I have an aluminum rear sprocket right now, 47 teeth.

I'm getting a new chain, a D.I.D 520VM.

I want a stronger rear sprocket and the bike came with a 52 tooth Ironman rear sprocket in a box. It looks to be in great shape.

The bike has a Renthal 14 tooth front sprocket.

So, if I swap out the 47 tooth for the 52 tooth I'm guessing I'm going to get a bit more umph down low and lose a bit of top end (which I don't really need in the dirt).

Comments? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

• foxomatica

Posted December 15, 2009 - 12:28 AM

I run a 13/52 on my 05 and love it. I ride mostly single track and lots of hill climbing. Don't know if your gearbox ratios are the same as an 05.

• mweitz

Posted December 15, 2009 - 05:37 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted December 15, 2009 - 03:29 PM

02 stock it 14/50. I run a 13/50 and love it!

• l_campionero

Posted December 15, 2009 - 03:41 PM

I ran stock 14/50 gearing on my 99 WR400, and it was plenty fast!

• mweitz

Posted December 21, 2009 - 06:36 PM

14/52 was loads of fun. It is awesome to pull the front up, slowly and progressively in second gear until I off throttle.

I did notice some wear on the chain after 1 day (50 miles). The "gold" came off the tops and bottoms of the links. I cleaned the chain 2 times while riding (and when we were finished of course).

Any idea on where it is wearing? The chain guard maybe?

Thanks,

Mark

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.