2000 problems

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 20, 2000 - 06:28 PM

I will be picking up 2001 426 as soon as they come out. I put a deposit on one and should have it by November. Does anyone know if Yamaha has fixed the gear problems with the new models. All these posts about problems make me a little nervous about going through with the purchase.

• YZ426_Kicks

Posted September 21, 2000 - 01:55 PM

Hey There!

I just noticed your forumn, and wanted to let you know that one of the recent dirt bike mags did a comparison in changes between the 2000 model and the 2001 model. I will check when I get home from work tonight and edit the message with the name and month of the mag. Maybe someone will beat me to it.

:) Okay, so no one beat me...here it is...

DIRTBIKE magazine, September 2000, pp. 82. Here, the publication lists out ALL of the differences between the YZ426F 2000 and 2001 models.

Among the items upgraded or completely redesigned:

1. Crank 2000 Keyed 2001 Serrated
2. Clutch Basket 2001 Improved
3. Clutch Basket Cushion 2001 20% firmer
4. Drive Chain 2001 Lighter ???

Nothing is said concerning the gear box, sprockets, or gas tank.

Please read all the members problem AND positive forumns and mine (YZ426 Kicks). Although I have received much criticism for my position of bringing the issues plaguing the 2000 model to light, there is a lot of wisdom in what is being said ( we all add something ).

Read carefully and do your homework.

Incase you may not be aware, depending on your state laws, you may not be bound by your deposit, as in the purchase of a car.

Let me make this perfectly clear: Im not bashing Yamaha, nor am I telling you to back out of your purchase.

I am saying this...A lot of us are eagerly watching and waiting to see what happens with the 2001 model YZ426, and probably the WR426F as well.

Listen to the knowledge coming from the experienced riders, and use the common sense, and wisdom God has placed in your heart and mind to discern the truth and responsible from the false and irresponsible.

Will talk later!

God Bless!

Randy
YZ426 Kicks

By the way...Is this dealer a Yammie Direct or an agent who sells all different brands of bikes? I have a local Yammie Direct shop near me and his YZ426F 2001 models weren't coming in until after the new year...same with the YZ250F....just curious....

[This message has been edited by YZ426 Kicks (edited 09-21-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 21, 2000 - 06:56 PM

Originally posted by YZ426 Kicks:
Hey There!

I just noticed your forumn, and wanted to let you know that one of the recent dirt bike mags did a comparison in changes between the 2000 model and the 2001 model. I will check when I get home from work tonight and edit the message with the name and month of the mag. Maybe someone will beat me to it.

:) Okay, so no one beat me...here it is...

DIRTBIKE magazine, September 2000, pp. 82. Here, the publication lists out ALL of the differences between the YZ426F 2000 and 2001 models.

Among the items upgraded or completely redesigned:

1. Crank 2000 Keyed 2001 Serrated
2. Clutch Basket 2001 Improved
3. Clutch Basket Cushion 2001 20% firmer
4. Drive Chain 2001 Lighter ???

Nothing is said concerning the gear box, sprockets, or gas tank.

Please read all the members problem AND positive forumns and mine (YZ426 Kicks). Although I have received much criticism for my position of bringing the issues plaguing the 2000 model to light, there is a lot of wisdom in what is being said ( we all add something ).

Read carefully and do your homework.

Incase you may not be aware, depending on your state laws, you may not be bound by your deposit, as in the purchase of a car.

Let me make this perfectly clear: Im not bashing Yamaha, nor am I telling you to back out of your purchase.

I am saying this...A lot of us are eagerly watching and waiting to see what happens with the 2001 model YZ426, and probably the WR426F as well.

Listen to the knowledge coming from the experienced riders, and use the common sense, and wisdom God has placed in your heart and mind to discern the truth and responsible from the false and irresponsible.

Will talk later!

God Bless!

Randy
YZ426 Kicks

By the way...Is this dealer a Yammie Direct or an agent who sells all different brands of bikes? I have a local Yammie Direct shop near me and his YZ426F 2001 models weren't coming in until after the new year...same with the YZ250F....just curious....

• biker

Posted September 21, 2000 - 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Buyer:

The dealer I'm using sells Yamahas and Hondas. I'm buying out of state to save on salestax and all the other hidden charges. It saves me over a thousand dollars from the quotes I get from the dealers in the Atlanta area. I don't think they will budge on price because the bikes are sold shortly after they get them in.
My deposit is on a YZ 250 2-stroke, but I've been thinking about changing it to the 426, which the dealer said was okay. The salesman told me the 426's would be coming out next month but maybe he didn't know what he was talking about, I'll have to check on that. I was going to get the 2-stroke because I already have a 96 XR 400 which I use in the tight and hilly trails we have around here. I know all you guys think it's a dinosaur, but I love it for the woods and the motor seems bullet proof so far. I had to make some changes on it (carburator) but they seem minor compared to some of the problems the 426 owners have had. I know the people with the problems are most vocal and the others just ride and smile. I have to make a decision in the next few weeks whether to buy the 250 or wait on the 426. I'm also considering the cr 250, but I think the 426 is really what I want. It's clear to me that when the bikes running, everybody on this forum loves their 426. This bike is only going to be used on the local MX tracks for practice and races. I'll use my old XR for all the nasty trail riding. Any input from others on this decisionwould be appreciated. I have no buddies with any of these bikes, so that I can testride.
Thanks for the reply

[This message has been edited by biker (edited 09-21-2000).]

• MikeOK

Posted September 22, 2000 - 07:43 AM

Yo Biker- I am one who loves the XR dinosaur too. I am racing a 426 now and it is perfect for it's intended purpose, but I recently sold a '83 XR350. All I had to do was pour gas in it and go. It was a good riding bike too and for trail riding with my son I would way prefer it over this 426. I think that bike would run good down to about 100 RPM hehe. I wouldn't want it in a race but for pure enjoyment and low maintenance it can't be beat...

Mike

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.