14t and case saver

7 replies to this topic
  • cjxrider125

Posted December 13, 2009 - 10:51 PM

can i run a 14t sprocket up front with the stock case saver thingy? it barely clears the chain and it has "13T" stamped into it. so im wondering if u have to buy a different one for different size front sprockets

• McGill

Posted December 13, 2009 - 11:59 PM

It might clear it if you use the stock chain, but if you have an O or D-Ring chain it won't. Although, it is recommended that you change chains with sprockets that way everything wears evenly.

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2009 - 12:13 AM

It might clear it if you use the stock chain, but if you have an O or D-Ring chain it won't. Although, it is recommended that you change chains with sprockets that way everything wears evenly.

There is no difference in the way an O-ring and a non-sealed chain will clear the front chain guide (aka "case saver") because the rollers of either of them are exactly the same size.

And also, if the chain is within the wear limit, there is no reason one sprocket cannot be changed, or both, without having an effect on wear.

As far as a 14 clearing the stock guide, it most likely will, but you'll probably need to unbolt it to install the sprocket, even if you don't run the cover on your bike. If you find it a bit tight at the front, you can file some clearance into it, or order the one for an '05 or earlier.

• cjxrider125

Posted December 14, 2009 - 12:30 AM

There is no difference in the way an O-ring and a non-sealed chain will clear the front chain guide (aka "case saver") because the rollers of either of them are exactly the same size.

And also, if the chain is within the wear limit, there is no reason one sprocket cannot be changed, or both, without having an effect on wear.

As far as a 14 clearing the stock guide, it most likely will, but you'll probably need to unbolt it to install the sprocket, even if you don't run the cover on your bike. If you find it a bit tight at the front, you can file some clearance into it, or order the one for an '05 or earlier.

im gonna take another look at it tomorrow, and if its too close for comfort i will file it down. thanks:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim813

Posted December 14, 2009 - 09:14 AM

Gray is right. I am able to use the stock guide with a 14, and unbolt the guide to add or remove the 14. It's close, but it works.

• McGill

Posted December 14, 2009 - 03:53 PM

Oh, my mistake. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 19, 2009 - 12:10 AM

I would run the 14t on it. thats just me

• coreyl

Posted December 29, 2009 - 10:15 PM

go with the 14 tooth

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.