Help...is my CDI dead or dying?

29 replies to this topic
  • Ricky Rocket

Posted December 13, 2009 - 03:38 PM

My 2001 XR650L has a strange intermittent spark. When trying to start it, it fires once but won't run. Backfires like a freakin' cannon through the exhaust when it does fire. I pulled the plug and layed it against the cylinder head. When cranking the engine, the plug fires once when the start switch is engaged and does not spark while the engine spins over. When I let off the starter button, the plug fires once more. I swapped numerous plugs, no change. Unplugged CDI harness and checked connectors...clean and dry. Checked safety switches and kill switch, no problems there. Is this symtomatic of a bad CDI? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....thanks!

• akasy

Posted December 13, 2009 - 03:51 PM

I had a failure on a CDI on a 650L about four years ago. Mine would start and idle but not rev above about 1500rpm. I think I killed it when I had a dead battery and I used a battery charger with jump start capability:bonk:--just guessing but that was my best one. Your symptom is different but if you have a CDI you can stick in it is easy to do. That is how I confirmed my bad CDI.

• pdxthumper

Posted December 13, 2009 - 07:25 PM

My 2001 XR650L has a strange intermittent spark. When trying to start it, it fires once but won't run. Backfires like a freakin' cannon through the exhaust when it does fire. I pulled the plug and layed it against the cylinder head. When cranking the engine, the plug fires once when the start switch is engaged and does not spark while the engine spins over. When I let off the starter button, the plug fires once more. I swapped numerous plugs, no change. Unplugged CDI harness and checked connectors...clean and dry. Checked safety switches and kill switch, no problems there. Is this symtomatic of a bad CDI? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....thanks!

That sounds similar to my 2000 xr650L CDI failure, mine would idle for a few seconds then die, it would have spark sometimes. hit the CDI with something and see if it changes, when I did that, it went from not working to working, for a while.

• exdirtbiker

Posted December 13, 2009 - 07:38 PM

sounds like my XL600R with bad cdi.
did the same thing... one 1 spark per kick. and it acted "better" with the plug out of the hole. put the plug back... nothin'.
I also changed the stator, and never looked back.

• Ricky Rocket

Posted December 14, 2009 - 08:07 AM

:moon:
Did the ohm-check on the ignition/kill switch, coil, plug wire, and pulse generator....all within spec (some a little off, but it's 31 degrees F outside and my meter is about 10 years old). I just ordered a CDI from Honda; no dealer in the area stocks one and the cheapest I could get was $148 tax included. I sure hope this does the trick!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 14, 2009 - 08:51 AM

When the CDI starts to fail it can often be brought back to life for awhile by hitting it.

Dave

• pwrpapa

Posted December 14, 2009 - 09:39 AM

My 83 xt600 did the same thing with only 6000 miles on her, it was the cdi box. The damn thing was 520 bucks, it didn't take me long to realize this bike has to go bub bye.

• valvesrule

Posted December 14, 2009 - 10:27 AM

My old XL500 had all the symptoms in this thread at one time or another over about a weeks time. All specs were good with the VOM. I put a cdi box from an XL185 on and it started first kick.

• lhark

Posted December 14, 2009 - 04:29 PM

The VOM readings can be tricky, even with the right meter, and Honda manual. I changed a bunch of stuff on an '86 XR600, until someone told me about the stator being the weak link on those. New stator, and off I went. I've since bought an '01 650L, without a problem, so far. It would be nice to know if your problem goes away with the change in box, in case I run into this problem one of these years.

• Captain Midnight

Posted December 14, 2009 - 08:10 PM

I just ordered a CDI from Honda; no dealer in the area stocks one and the cheapest I could get was $148 tax included. I sure hope this does the trick!

I put a Megajolt totaly programable ignition on mine. $104.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoxmann

Posted December 14, 2009 - 08:43 PM

I put a Megajolt totaly programable ignition on mine. $104.

Sweet.
Where did you get it?

• az426

Posted December 15, 2009 - 04:49 PM

i am experiencing the exact same symptoms of 1 spark then nada.if i cycle the run/stop switch it will spark 1 more time then nada.i tested everything as per the manual and everything is reading back to the cdi-as continuity and ohms goes.owner of the bike replaced the run/stop switch, i replaced the pulse generator and checked all wires and connections.cdi should be here this week.

• az426

Posted December 17, 2009 - 05:15 PM

i am experiencing the exact same symptoms of 1 spark then nada.if i cycle the run/stop switch it will spark 1 more time then nada.i tested everything as per the manual and everything is reading back to the cdi-as continuity and ohms goes.owner of the bike replaced the run/stop switch, i replaced the pulse generator and checked all wires and connections.cdi should be here this week.

update: recieved and installed new cdi. test rode bike for 15 minutes or so with no problems.Finally. :moon: now maybe i can get on to dialing in the carb after the daves mods:ride:

• Rayman812

Posted December 18, 2009 - 03:35 PM

ok, i'm having "similar" issue with spark - or lack thereof. i bought my 93 xr as a project bike, everything was apart, brand new (built) motor, i put everything back together, and no spark. i did all the tests by the manual, most things checked out, all the sensors checked, only question things were the coil and/or CDI. i installed a brand new (aftermarket) coil, still no spark. bought a used CDI for 20 bucks and swapped it, no spark. do u think i should just get a brand new CDI? i mean what's the chances of both (used) CDIs are bad? i read that its a common problem, but what do u guys think? $140 is alot of money to "experiment" with....

• az426

Posted December 19, 2009 - 08:07 PM

ok, i'm having "similar" issue with spark - or lack thereof. i bought my 93 xr as a project bike, everything was apart, brand new (built) motor, i put everything back together, and no spark. i did all the tests by the manual, most things checked out, all the sensors checked, only question things were the coil and/or CDI. i installed a brand new (aftermarket) coil, still no spark. bought a used CDI for 20 bucks and swapped it, no spark. do u think i should just get a brand new CDI? i mean what's the chances of both (used) CDIs are bad? i read that its a common problem, but what do u guys think? $140 is alot of money to "experiment" with....

did you do the cdi test? you may have tested the components but if there is a break in any of the circuits back to the cdi you wont get spark.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 21, 2009 - 08:51 AM

The XR600R CDI does not fail as often as the XR650L CDI.

How many volts (ac) are getting to the CDI when you kick it?

It could be the pulse generator.

Dave

• Horri

Posted December 21, 2009 - 11:49 AM

For 600's you don't need to pay big bucks for a CDI. Get one from an older XL/XR 250 XL500,XL185. (say from 80 to 86)). They are generally a straight plug in,,and seeing as we have a joker in this thread who's used an XL185 on an XL 500 then that must work as well in a 600 as the XL500 one works in an XL/XR 600 so plainly they are interchangable..Just check the pin layout on the CDI prior to buying to make sure it matches the CDI wiring for the straight plug in,,Course none of that applies to 650's,,Totally different beast.

• Rayman812

Posted December 22, 2009 - 08:20 AM

mine's a XR650L....i've checked the pulse generator, the resistance is right in the middle of the range spec listed by the manual, it's a brand new unit. it's an electric start.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted December 22, 2009 - 08:25 AM

mine's a XR650L....i've checked the pulse generator, the resistance is right in the middle of the range spec listed by the manual, it's a brand new unit. it's an electric start.

Did you try bypassing all the safeties by grounding both wires that go to the clutch lever switch?

93 XRL, CDI is the best guess. Try beating the CDI a bit.

Was the used CDI from an XRL, or maybe it was from an XR600? (I don't know if they look the same). Maybe the used CDI was removed because it was bad.

Dave

• Captain Midnight

Posted December 22, 2009 - 04:46 PM

Sweet.
Where did you get it?

www.autosportlabs.net

Related Content

Forums
Photo

85 xr600r camshaft bearing journals by Taylorross

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  56 replies
Forums
Photo

2008 Honda xr650L Re-Jetting after Exhaust Modifications by ManFug

• Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

poor man's xr650l: any reason not to put an xr650l motor into an xr600 frame? by goneballistic

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650R ONLY by jska2636

• Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Funny story out of my FCR tuning saga! by bradrup

• 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.