'07 or '06 YZ 250?

15 replies to this topic
  • Larry Gude

Posted December 13, 2009 - 08:22 AM

Which to buy?

'07 needs a top end rebuild, 40 hours or so on it, clutch and a new pipe, all stock, per the owner, $2,500.

The '06 is ready to go, 2 hours on a new top end per owner, FC front and rear susp. $3,000

What to do!??? :banghead:

• Luv2crash

Posted December 13, 2009 - 08:28 AM

The one that appears to be taken better care of.....from what you've stated sounds like the 06

• l_campionero

Posted December 13, 2009 - 08:47 AM

They are the same bike. Buy whichever one is in the best condition. Make a lower offer with cash in hand.

• RCannon

Posted December 13, 2009 - 08:53 AM

I would want to ride the bike with modified suspension first. The stuff I have had FC do for me was very pogo-stick like and would be something I would need to spend more money on to fix rather than it being a benefit.

• Larry Gude

Posted December 13, 2009 - 08:58 AM

I would want to ride the bike with modified suspension first. The stuff I have had FC do for me was very pogo-stick like and would be something I would need to spend more money on to fix rather than it being a benefit.

That's my concern. I've yet to hear anyone say they DON'T like the SSS so, I think anyone who changes it, I mean, why? I sure don't want to be unhappy with the suspension. That is one of the primary reasons I want the Yami.

:banghead:

• JS264

Posted December 13, 2009 - 09:18 AM

I'd get the 07 unless its really beat, because I wouldn't trust that the '06 was actually rebuilt, plus stock suspension is grand, its a year newer, and its $500 less. Definitely pull the pipe though and take a gander with a flash light at the piston and cylinder through the exhaust port and see what its looking like before you buy.

• mx730md

Posted December 13, 2009 - 10:09 AM

what was the fc revalved for? mx or woods?

hey if you dont by the 07 let me pm me the detail .

i sold my 07 cause fc butchered the suspension for woods and made it pretty much unridable, in less it was real technical and slow speed with a ton of rocks and roots, and logs then it was slighly better then stock. i torn up my knee several times coming into high speed corners where it would bottom out for no reason .

• BASSic

Posted December 13, 2009 - 01:57 PM

A lot of people seem to think pogo-stick suspensions are good for woods. I have a 03 setup this way (prev owner had the work done) and it plain sucks - bottoming all the time and very springy. I prefer a stiffer MX setup for woods riding even if it does beat me up a little - at least it keeps me planted on the ground.

Don't ever trust previous owners when they say "fresh top end" unless they have dated receipts to back it up.

• l_campionero

Posted December 13, 2009 - 02:06 PM

....Don't ever trust previous owners when they say "fresh top end" ....

Yeah....it might only be a new ring (or rings); and by the same token a 'rebuilt engine' might only mean a new top end or less, and 'rebuilt' suspension might only mean new fork seals. Ask very probing, detailed questions. If the seller gets a bit fidgety, it probably means he's not disclosing the whole story.

• RacingCain

Posted December 13, 2009 - 04:36 PM

Defintely meet with both sellers if you can to get a feel for whioch bike has been better taken care of. It also lets them know they are competing for your business.

• rjboschjr

Posted December 13, 2009 - 04:38 PM

. I prefer a stiffer MX setup for woods riding even if it does beat me up a little - at least it keeps me planted on the ground.

Just the way I like my YZ set up for woods riding.

• Larry Gude

Posted December 14, 2009 - 02:50 AM

Yeah....it might only be a new ring (or rings); and by the same token a 'rebuilt engine' might only mean a new top end or less, and 'rebuilt' suspension might only mean new fork seals. Ask very probing, detailed questions. If the seller gets a bit fidgety, it probably means he's not disclosing the whole story.

I hear that. '07 guy offered up that he'd change the pipe and clutch if he was gonna keep it, plus he told me he needs to put a inner tube in the front wheel before I come out for a ride.

'06 man hasn't been responsive but has quite the impressive list; oil changed ever ride, cleaned every ride, this, that, the other thing. New rear hub and spokes, sprockets, chain, etc, etc, etc. Looks and sounds good but not jumping all over it like '07 man.

• kotaro

Posted December 14, 2009 - 04:21 AM

I hear that. '07 guy offered up that he'd change the pipe and clutch if he was gonna keep it, plus he told me he needs to put a inner tube in the front wheel before I come out for a ride.

'06 man hasn't been responsive but has quite the impressive list; oil changed ever ride, cleaned every ride, this, that, the other thing. New rear hub and spokes, sprockets, chain, etc, etc, etc. Looks and sounds good but not jumping all over it like '07 man.

Silent water (just like the '06 man) runs deep :cheers: ....depends however if his being silent is deceiving though :moon:

Offer the '06 man US$2,500 cash.... if he doesn't wanna give it then get the '07 bike.

You reckon the '07 man is honest about the bike's current condition eh?

Decide fast 'coz 2-stroke being sold these days come far in-between

• RCannon

Posted December 14, 2009 - 05:07 AM

That's my concern. I've yet to hear anyone say they DON'T like the SSS so, I think anyone who changes it, I mean, why? I sure don't want to be unhappy with the suspension. That is one of the primary reasons I want the Yami.

:moon:

I thought this way until Dave at Smart performance sent me some settings and parts for my 06. His mods made a dramatic improvement on the bike. I also think the settings are normal enough that few woudl have complaints with them.

But, they are set for someone who weighs near what I do. With my luck I would get the fc set-up meant for the 86 year old grandmother who uses her yz 250 for flattrack or something.

• powellr1

Posted December 14, 2009 - 05:20 AM

You can call FC with the guys's name and they'll tell you exactly how it was setup. They'll revalve it to suit your needs wihout a charge but you will have to pay shipping and a service fee for the new oils and labor. If you need new springs that will cost. Factory does good work and lots of pros and amateurs use them for that reason. Best thing I ever did to my 07 WR250F.

• Larry Gude

Posted December 14, 2009 - 03:03 PM

'07 wins. Took it for a ride, looked good, rode strong. Needs an exhaust gasket. Guy kinda over sold the flaws in the bike which I like; under promise over deliver.

Thanks all! :moon:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

10 Best Mods For The 2006 Yamaha Yz250 by thebearYZ250

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

yz 2000 and 2003 cylinders by dawson1120

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

Revalving a Factory Connection KYB SSS Revalve by C-P

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo

87 yz 250 by ccauvel

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

85 or 150? by drzrider04

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.