Whistling/whining noise on acceleration

27 replies to this topic
  • Riding3

Posted December 18, 2009 - 08:19 AM

I'm positive that the sound is not as a result of air through the shrouds. As described the sound is like a turbo spooling. However, the sound is not as loud as a turbo.
Plus, the sound usually would be heard at low lugging while powering on. There is minimal airflow when it happens.

• gottaroost

Posted December 18, 2009 - 09:42 AM

I have that sound I've noticed when lugging too on my '06 YZ450..sort of a chirping sound. I remember hearing that on my '02 426 several years ago when it was new.

I was told then it was normal 4 ST stuff and it is the exact same sound now as it was back then so I have added it to my ignore list along with all that clutch clatter rattle. Hopefully yours is the same thing.

• tek_01

Posted January 14, 2010 - 06:18 PM

I was just looking through some youtube videos and i found this one

Look specifically at 0:39 seconds onwards when he revs it. I know its not that clear but that is a very similar sound to what mine sounds like. (But saying that, things sound different through speakers than in real life)

So does his bike sound normal?

• rufusz

Posted January 15, 2010 - 03:34 AM

That's intake noise....sound of air being sucked in the carb/engine. Don't worry if this is the only noise you're getting :banghead:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim813

Posted January 15, 2010 - 07:29 AM

I was just looking through some youtube videos and i found this one

Look specifically at 0:39 seconds onwards when he revs it. I know its not that clear but that is a very similar sound to what mine sounds like. (But saying that, things sound different through speakers than in real life)

So does his bike sound normal?

Judging from that video, my bike sounds almost the exact same ( expect I have a quieter exhaust with magnifies the "whistling" sound).

• tek_01

Posted January 15, 2010 - 09:37 PM

Thanks, im at ease now
And now i have put a full jardine exhaust system on there it did muffle that sound even more

Riding tomorrow cant wait!

• dbyamaha

Posted January 16, 2010 - 09:33 AM

i have a 08 yz450f and it does the same thing. All of freinds bikes do the same too. Its normal..

• Boise93

Posted January 16, 2010 - 03:50 PM

I agree with dbyamaha, as my 08 whistles and has done so since new with 0.0 hours. At 75.0 sounds just like it did when new, I miss the sound when I ride my brother's RM450. Reminds me of riding a bottle rocket, the whistling kind.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.