Whistling/whining noise on acceleration

27 replies to this topic
  • tek_01

Posted December 13, 2009 - 02:42 AM

Took my bike out for the first time today (05 450f) and i got a couple questions. Firstly i get alot of chain slap but im guessing all yz's do that when taking off correct? Although my brothers yz400 doesnt do it? Sounds like my bike is a POS

Second is i can hear a noise like a whine/whistle when i take off. Happens all the time. I cant tell from where it is coming from, my best guess would be the engine itself. It sounds sort of like a supercharger belt sound funny enough
Anyone have any ideas what it is? It happens mainly on hard acceleration and more so when im taking off quickly

Thanks

• cwcarter

Posted December 13, 2009 - 03:19 AM

Check wheel alignment, chain tension and sliders/rollers for the chain slap problem.
The wining sound could be worn gears or clutch noise.

• yamaha racing 230

Posted December 13, 2009 - 05:34 AM

the newer fcr mx carbs whistle , could that be what yer hearing

• 09yz250

Posted December 13, 2009 - 08:37 AM

It could be the airfilter or airbox that has a crack and the air just flows though that crack, or the airflipter may not be seated fully and its going under the filter.
j

• grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2009 - 09:38 AM

Chain slap at lower RPM under a load is normal. DO NOT be tempted to tighten the rear chain beyond minimum slack to "cure" this.

As to the whining, it depends. The bike will make a gear whine that can be heard over the exhaust on light acceleration. An air whistle noise could be normal, but it would be wise to check the air boot where it clamps to the carb and where it bolts to the air box.

• tek_01

Posted December 13, 2009 - 02:24 PM

I have adjusted the chain exactly like the manual states, I used your block of wood trick grayracer =P The chain slap im not too worried about even though it sounds like my bike is worth $100 when it takes off lol.

However, the whistling sort of noise got me a bit worried. Would either the drive or cam chain make a noise similar to a tight belt on a car would? Either drive chain not aligned properly or something? I have counted the marks from the rear of the axle blocks and also measured from the center of the axle to swingarm bolt on both sides to make it as square as possible, i might do the whole take chain off and align with a straight edge when i put my new sprocket on.

Im waiting for a new cam chain to come in the mail so that is my next thing to do. However i dont think this is the noise. You can hear it on hard acceleration up until about 1/3 to half throttle
thanks

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 13, 2009 - 06:36 PM

my 06,08,09 all had a suction like whistle. No worries

• (742)

Posted December 13, 2009 - 06:45 PM

my 06,08,09 all had a suction like whistle. No worries

None of mine did... Sound kinda weird to me!

• tek_01

Posted December 13, 2009 - 07:03 PM

I wish i could record the sound for you guys but i dont think its loud enough to be heard on a recording with the engine running at full speed.
It sounds more mechanical like a belt/chain noise than an air noise but i could be wrong

on the topic of chain sliders, will the tm design sliders stop the slapping? or at least reduce it? along with not wearing out the swingarm?

• grayracer513

Posted December 13, 2009 - 07:47 PM

No, the TM won't stop the slapping. It will stop the wear to the swing arm, but there's a cheaper way to do that:

http://members.cox.n...r/wearplate.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim813

Posted December 14, 2009 - 09:19 AM

on the topic of chain sliders, will the tm design sliders stop the slapping? or at least reduce it? along with not wearing out the swingarm?

I recently installed a TM designs chain slider and there was a noticeable decrease in chain noise. I know this may sound strange because the TM slider is made from a very hard plastic (delron), but there is much more material.

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2009 - 09:47 AM

TM added a thin foam under liner to their sliders a couple years back, which helps, but doesn't eliminate the noise. Before that, they much louder than stock. But they still cost over $100. I can but 4 OEM sliders for that.

• Jim813

Posted December 14, 2009 - 10:10 AM

TM added a thin foam under liner to their sliders a couple years back, which helps, but doesn't eliminate the noise. Before that, they much louder than stock. But they still cost over $100. I can but 4 OEM sliders for that.

I forgot to add that there was a under liner, as you added. Like you said, the noise isn't completely gone, but it's much better. Because there is so much more material, it seem like the chain is at a tighter tension over stock in the first two or three inches of travel, which is probably helping to keep the noise down. Where do you see them for over $100? I purchased my guide for $90.

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2009 - 10:50 AM

The price has apparently come down a little, so that means it's only 3 times as expensive as stock. Do they still require the removal of the swing arm for installation?

The best way to eliminate the chain slap is to keep the revs up a little.

• tek_01

Posted December 14, 2009 - 12:46 PM

Can you order direct from tm design? Guys in Oz want in excess of $150 for just the slider. Im due for a new slider very soon so i might go this way.

And it is sometimes hard to keep the revs up on the rocky sections i go through, usually its crawling speed in 1st. I am going to gear my bike lower though and hopefully this does help with taking off

• Jim813

Posted December 14, 2009 - 06:15 PM

The price has apparently come down a little, so that means it's only 3 times as expensive as stock. Do they still require the removal of the swing arm for installation?

Yes, they still require that the swing arm is removed for installation. The connecting rib is in the way of mounting without.

Posted Image

The guide also doesn't use the front mounting points on the top or bottom of the swing arm, and therefore is only held on with the two posterior bolts. Instead, the connecting rib along with a buffer against the frame is used to hold the guide in place. I think it would be much cheaper and easier to install if two separate pieces were used along with the stock mounting locations, but that's just me.

Edited by jim513, December 15, 2009 - 10:02 AM.

• fairlydangerous1

Posted December 14, 2009 - 08:56 PM

I too have heard that noise you are talking about. Can't really describe it either but was tempted asking the same thing. I hear it coming from the engine. Almost like a gear whine of some sort. Runs like a beast, just don't want to hear the dreaded Kaboom. Mine is a 2002 426. I had a 1999 400 and don't recall ever hearing the noise.

• Riding3

Posted December 17, 2009 - 07:00 PM

My 07 450 does that wierd whistle sometimes. I thought at first that something might be wrong but after my examination of the top end, checking that the exhaust was tight and the carb boot I found nothing wrong.
This may sound wierd but I seriously think that it may be harmonics of the exhaust flow in the head pipe (bend area). The sound that I hear is too hi pitch. There is nothing in the motor that would rotate at such a high RPM to vibrate and create that type of frequency.
So don't worry about it... Also, my friends could not here it after I described it to them they thought that it was in my head?

• tek_01

Posted December 17, 2009 - 07:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds wicked to me, like a supercharger spooling up lol something like that anyhow... not too worried. Going to install new cam chain hopefully tomorrow just to put my mind at ease about the chain stretching. 99% sure the PO didnt change the cam chain since new

• atters

Posted December 17, 2009 - 07:11 PM

my 01 wr has the sound of a whisling turbo when you mono at speed. im pretty sure its just whisling of the wind throught the shrouds tho

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.