Changed fork springs...now lots of spring noise

10 replies to this topic
  • davbrucas

Posted December 12, 2009 - 09:04 PM

I swapped the springs in my new 09 450 now when I compress I can really hear the springs compressing in there. I did the spring swap on my 08 and it didnt do this. Any ideas? Here are the steps I used...
-remove cap
-drained fluid
-backed the rebound clicker all the way out
-unscrewed the rebound adjuster
-compressed the fork and disconnected the damper rod from the adjuster
-Removed dampner rod and spring and swapped springs...then just reversed to reassemble. Added 350cc 5wt fluid to outer chamber.

Thanks in advance...I was supposed to ride tomorrow but probably wont now...mainly because my brand new bike has a broken front rotor. I didnt notice this before taking it home a couple days ago. I havent even ridden it yet and something is broken. :banghead:

• rparobi

Posted December 13, 2009 - 02:57 PM

Hi , i have a brand new 09 yz450 and before i had even ridden the bike i noticed that the forks made a rubbing/catching sort of sound when i compressed the forks , i also noticed that if i shook the handle bars side to side rapidly i could here what sounded to be the fork springs rattling around inside the forks, so your issue could be normal.

• Gerry B

Posted December 13, 2009 - 03:01 PM

Did you make sure that the spring stop didnt fall off when you pulled out the damper rod?

• davbrucas

Posted December 13, 2009 - 03:29 PM

The spring seats are in place.

• Gerry B

Posted December 13, 2009 - 06:10 PM

I would pull the springs back out and check the length of them compared to the stock ones. I swapped out some springs once with Factory Connection springs and they were an inch shorter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • davbrucas

Posted December 13, 2009 - 10:44 PM

There isnt much noise from the springs when I installed them back on the bike. If there was that much of a gap in there the springs would have make some noise when I was reinstalling. I will take them back apart and check again however.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 14, 2009 - 04:08 AM

I swapped the springs in my new 09 450 now when I compress I can really hear the springs compressing in there. I did the spring swap on my 08 and it didnt do this. Any ideas? Here are the steps I used...
-remove cap
-drained fluid
-backed the rebound clicker all the way out
-unscrewed the rebound adjuster
-compressed the fork and disconnected the damper rod from the adjuster
-Removed dampner rod and spring and swapped springs...then just reversed to reassemble. Added 350cc 5wt fluid to outer chamber.

Thanks in advance...I was supposed to ride tomorrow but probably wont now...mainly because my brand new bike has a broken front rotor. I didnt notice this before taking it home a couple days ago. I havent even ridden it yet and something is broken. :moon:

I must say that most of the times I have gotten new springs, they have been a little noisy. Like you can hear them scraping in there. Even when Factory Connection did them. WMI did a set and they had some things backwards in them. It's always a good idea to recheck.

• davbrucas

Posted December 14, 2009 - 07:50 AM

Didnt think you could put fork springs in backwards...It doesnt sound like scraping. It sounds like a damn pogo-stick or a trampoline. Its pretty dang hard to put these things together wrong.

• grayracer513

Posted December 14, 2009 - 08:12 AM

Didnt think you could put fork springs in backwards...

If the springs are the right dimension, there shouldn't be a backwards (there is on the rear, BTW, but you can't assemble it that way). But if the springs don't stay straight when they compress, or if they aren't "quite exactly" the right size, it could do that. You may even have been sold the wrong springs by mistake.

And the pogo stick/trampoline noise IS the springs rubbing the tubes.

• nickeenoo

Posted December 14, 2009 - 08:20 AM

I replaced the springs with Race Tech springs in my last bike and it did the same thing you are describing so I called Dave at Smart Performance (I didn't know about Dave when I bought the springs or I would have ordered them from him) and he said it was fairly normal. If you noticed, the stock springs were probably very shiny when you pulled them out and the new springs likely had a shot peened texture. The sound will go away once the springs wear smooth. It took about ten hours on my bike for the springs to smooth out to where I couldn't hear the noise.

The one thing to be aware of is that you should service the forks once the springs have worn smooth just to get the contaminated oil out. One thing a good suspension shop will do with new springs is buff them smooth before they are installed.

Nate

• davbrucas

Posted December 14, 2009 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the info. The box did say LRA-048 so unless they were packaged wrong I have the correct springs. I will ride it like it is and see if the sound goes away. I put some new FC springs in my CRF and dont remember it making noise like this.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.