1987 YZ250 Vs. Newer models

13 replies to this topic
  • SRAD97750

Posted December 12, 2009 - 08:36 AM

I've been collecting as many dirt bikes as possible over say, 10 years. This makes TT very helpful, because not one man can know everything about every model of every bike. Someone break it down for me.

I want to buy a 2-stroke 250. For obvious reasons.
For $7-$10K :usa:USD I can snag a brand new 250. And $3K-$5K :usa:USD for a nice 2000's model.
Or
Several of my friends have older (87-88), used 250s for like $300-$500 :usa:USD that they have taken care of. (I used to ride with them regularily)

My question is,
"Can it really be worth it, or that much better to find a newer model?"

Technology in suspension and fueling has improved over 20 years, I'm sure. But how much?

I'm no racer, but have been known to win races.
I'm not photogenic, so my bike doesn't need to be either.
Parts and maintenance is a big deal to me because I will ride the crap out of a bike, suspension and engine.

So, If anyone has two cents, throw them here below with some HP figures, numbers, graphs, pictures, details, experiences, and general oldskool ooze for comparison.
-BIG DAN:thumbsup:

• RCannon

Posted December 12, 2009 - 09:25 AM

It would be difficult if not impossible to justify the cost difference between a running yz 250 for 300 bucks and a brand new one for 7 grand.

• l_campionero

Posted December 12, 2009 - 10:03 AM

....Parts and maintenance is a big deal to me because I will ride the crap out of a bike....

Does that mean you ride a bike fast and hard, or does that mean you'd abuse and neglect it? Bubba 'rides the crap out of' his bikes, but they are meticulously maintained, also. Safe riding means responsible riding.

What is your goal with your next motorcycle? Racing? Trailriding?

Good luck!:banghead:

• arnego2

Posted December 12, 2009 - 11:00 AM

It would be difficult if not impossible to justify the cost difference between a running yz 250 for 300 bucks and a brand new one for 7 grand.

Hi there
only if you go for that money saved. I ride a RM125 year 1995 and own still a yz450F year 2006 (I'm selling it now) Ihave quite recently bought a YZ250 and my decision was based on a 2 stroke bike's riding fun. An advanced bike, light and snappy with a good source of replacement parts. That made the decision easy. YZ250. The differences of the RM125 to the YZ 250 are enormous. Power output handling, the YZ is clearly the better bike.

I had to rebuild the RM bit still with new bearings and all that the chassis is nice but not the same. I bought it for about 1500 and put about 1500 in US into it. Did the cylinder, new rod bearings and oils seals. Fun to ride but I know the bike for 18 month now and the YZ 250 is new but it gets there pretty fast. Same fun but still surprises me sometimes when the power band hits.

Regards
Arnego2

• SRAD97750

Posted December 12, 2009 - 11:52 AM

Does that mean you ride a bike fast and hard, or does that mean you'd abuse and neglect it?
What is your goal with your next motorcycle? Racing? Trailriding?

I take great care in maintaining all my vehicles, but put them to the test while riding safely. Neglect never enters my mind.
My next motorcycle will just be another riding style/speed I hope to learn and be comfortable with riding at random. I'm looking to just get comfortable on a rapid accerating, taller, dirt, ball-buster bike.

So I suppose I'm interested in how different are the 80's bikes from the 2000's? -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

• RCannon

Posted December 12, 2009 - 02:51 PM

Its like trying to justify the difference between an 80 thousand dollar vette and a Hyundai . Both will take you down the road at 70 mph, so why spend the extra money?

And, an 87 yz 250 compared to a 2010 has as much of a performance difference as the two illustrated cars. That does not mean the old machine is not fun and exciting. I would love to have a running 87 yz, but it would be in addition to my 06..not in place of.

One big thing that changed is reliability. Somewhere along the line these bikes became very reliable...the old machines just dont offer that. Not with he engine so much, but little details...chain adjusters, levers, perchs. Cables, bearing seals.....the little detail items have seen huge changes.

• l_campionero

Posted December 12, 2009 - 02:59 PM

....So I suppose I'm interested in how different are the 80's bikes from the 2000's? -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

I see....DO NOT buy an '87 YZ! They had TERRIBLE suspension! The worst of ANY YZs EVER!
Good luck!:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bill petitt

Posted December 12, 2009 - 03:44 PM

I have raced forever and own a 2008 YZ450f. I recently bought a 1985 YZ 490 and began racing in the EVO class. It is a BLAST !! I am no pro, but I can hit the same stuff on my 85 as I can my 08, although it is not as comfortable. Do your suspension up and you will be suprised what you can do. I have beaten modern bikes on the track, so , in my opinion, it is worth a couple hundred bucks. The older bikes are still a blast !! Dont think I would try to qualify for Loretta Lynn's on one, tho! Have fun !!

Edited by bill petitt, December 12, 2009 - 03:46 PM.
///

• l_campionero

Posted December 12, 2009 - 03:48 PM

....The older bikes are still a blast !! Dont think I would try to qualify for Loretta Lynn's on one, tho!....

A few years ago, some guy qualified for, and raced LL on a 1979 YZ400!

• pwrpapa

Posted December 12, 2009 - 04:52 PM

A few years ago, some guy qualified for, and raced LL on a 1979 YZ400!

It's not the bike it's the rider...http://motocross.tra...s-grudge-match/ I'm sure evryone has seen this by now.

• SRAD97750

Posted December 12, 2009 - 05:19 PM

DO NOT buy an '87 YZ! They had TERRIBLE suspension! The worst of ANY YZs EVER!

I would love to have a running 87 yz, but it would be in addition to my 06..not in place of.

Thanks guys! Just what I was looking for from this. Keep it coming! -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

• Helmet_Hair

Posted December 12, 2009 - 05:46 PM

Personally, if I'm going to go old...I'm goin' retro. I like the old air-cooled motors. Bomb proof with nothing to prove. You can't beat the '79-'81 YZ's. Those were some of the best old YZ's (IMHO) Yamaha ever made. Plus, they can be raced in vintage classes. Can't do that with the '87.

Hold out for a real oldie or save a few coins more and spring for the newest YZ you can afford. Plenty of 2000 YZ 250's out there for around $1500.:banghead:

• jefgil123

Posted December 12, 2009 - 05:55 PM

I have a 1986 Yamaha IT and a 2001 GasGas 300.

The suspension on the GasGas, or any modern bike,
is Waaaayyyy better than the Yamaha, handling bout the same.
Although I rode the @#$*% out of the Yamaha for many years, the
safety safety factor and comfort of the new bike is kinda worth it.

I prefer the air cooled motor, though.

Also, disc brakes are really nice....

I am honestily thinking an air cooled YZ490/WR500 motor in a modern frame
would be the ultimate.\ !

• paintballwannab

Posted December 12, 2009 - 10:27 PM

I have a '87 and I agree on the suspension being horrible. The peg location is horrible, if you don't kick it just right you slam the top of your foot into the bottom of the peg and certain parts are only available for '87-88 YZ's so they can be a pain to find.

That being said, a great and fun bike to have around, tons of power.

While I love my '87 and will probably keep it around for awhile my '98 KX265 is sooooo much more fun to ride.

Now I wouldn't spend 5k+ on a bike, but if you can manage $1000-1500 you can get a nice bike that you'll be happier with over the '87....then buy the '87 as something else to play with.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ125 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ125 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Yamaha YZ85 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ85 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2014 yz250 Gearbox Problems by Hoffy77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 11 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ250 Fuel Knock? by RussTheRush

• Hot  48 replies
Forums
Photo

1998 yz125? by Cort003

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.