Buying a 450 soon, what to look for?

13 replies to this topic
  • Devil1

Posted December 12, 2009 - 06:48 AM

Hey all just wanted to pop in and say hey, my name is Brandon. When I get back from deployment next year I want to pick up an 06 or newer 450. What things in particular should I look for? Anything I should know?

Thanks
B

• Devil1

Posted December 12, 2009 - 10:57 PM

Well damn....

• Stu2

Posted December 13, 2009 - 12:01 AM

Devil, yup get the 06 or newer, I think the 09 has the two bar mount positions on the triples which I like ause i'm tall, check if the seller has a log of hours done (hour meter) if its high you could bargain them down as it will need some maintanace work done

good luck

• Devil1

Posted December 13, 2009 - 12:30 AM

Devil, yup get the 06 or newer, I think the 09 has the two bar mount positions on the triples which I like ause i'm tall, check if the seller has a log of hours done (hour meter) if its high you could bargain them down as it will need some maintanace work done

good luck

Sweet thanks for the tip. I've been very hesitant to go the thumper route vice a 2 smoke. 2's are what I grew up with and what I know. I know how easy they are to work on and cheap as well. I keep hearing horror stories of bad valves and what not in a 4 and how expensive they are to fix if you don't have the knowledge.

BTW I'm on the opposite side end of the continent from you at the moment in Djibouti. :banghead:

• fishkiller

Posted December 13, 2009 - 07:35 AM

Can not give yuo any pointers on the four stroke but I can say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

• mxmaddman

Posted December 13, 2009 - 08:02 AM

Check the obvious, chain, sprockets, bearings, tires... ask how often oil was changed, what type was used, how often filter was changed.. when the valves were last checked, if timing chain has been changed... if its a high hour bike with the stock timing chain chances are the lower crank sprocket might be worn.

• Devil1

Posted December 13, 2009 - 08:39 AM

Can not give yuo any pointers on the four stroke but I can say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Thanks.

Check the obvious, chain, sprockets, bearings, tires... ask how often oil was changed, what type was used, how often filter was changed.. when the valves were last checked, if timing chain has been changed... if its a high hour bike with the stock timing chain chances are the lower crank sprocket might be worn.

Thank you. What is considered to be high hours?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stu2

Posted December 13, 2009 - 09:09 AM

Hey Devil, I have a 250 two stroke(which i'll be keeping for enduros) but will be getting a 450 in the next two weeks, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the 4 bangers, as long as you service and maintain them, high hours could be anything, depends on how it was maintained, a bike with 50 hours on could be a find or a lemon, take note of the exterior condition, its not always foolproof but it might give an indication of how it was cared for,

By the way,how is the eather in Djibouti?

Good on you for being in the service:thumbsup:

• Devil1

Posted December 13, 2009 - 09:13 AM

Right on. Thanks Stu.

Weather is a balmy 80 or so. Too humid though. What's it like down there? I've got a great Yamaha R1 buddy in Pretoria.

• Stu2

Posted December 13, 2009 - 10:07 PM

Cloudy today, very welcomed as it was scorching the last few days, I'm about 30 min from pretoria, nice place that

The world is a small place.........

• Devil1

Posted December 13, 2009 - 11:58 PM

Sure is small

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 14, 2009 - 04:06 AM

Hey all just wanted to pop in and say hey, my name is Brandon. When I get back from deployment next year I want to pick up an 06 or newer 450. What things in particular should I look for? Anything I should know?

Thanks
B

Look up around the head bearing area. Yamaha had a few issues of frame cracking

• Devil1

Posted December 14, 2009 - 05:02 AM

Yikes. Thanks.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 14, 2009 - 06:56 PM

Yikes. Thanks.

I wouldn't have any other bike! I believe these were isolated incidents. The bikes were raced hard and they were older bikes. Just something to look out for.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.