yzf 400 head pipe glowing red

10 replies to this topic
  • mxjamaica

Posted December 11, 2009 - 08:38 AM

yzf 400 over heating immediately as fired up. timming is ok, valve clearnces ok, carb is clean, help please. could it be blown head gasket?

• byggd

Posted December 11, 2009 - 10:55 AM

Do a search using "glow" or "glowing" as the search word. You will find hours a reading!

• robwbright

Posted December 11, 2009 - 11:04 AM

My YZ250f was doing it and I checked valves, timing, cleaned the carb with carb cleaner, blew thru each of the jets, etc. . . It was only red hot while idling and/or very low throttle. Was not lean while riding 1/2 throttle to WOT.

Ended up taking the carb apart again. There was a tiny piece of dirt stuck in the pilot jet. Got it out and problem was resolved.

YMMV

• l_campionero

Posted December 11, 2009 - 05:34 PM

Perhaps 'Glowing Red Pipe' should be 'stickied'....

• byggd

Posted December 12, 2009 - 06:00 AM

It is 4th on the FAQ
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=440631

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxjamaica

Posted December 13, 2009 - 11:23 AM

now i have oil pouring out the small hole on the right side of the head.

• l_campionero

Posted December 13, 2009 - 11:30 AM

now i have oil pouring out the small hole on the right side of the head.

There is no oil behind that hole. It is a 'weep hole' to allow water out of the spark plug well.

• Strattos

Posted December 13, 2009 - 01:35 PM

If you've got enough fluid in that cavity for it to be "pouring out" you may need to look at plugging the weep hole when you're washing your bike, or being a bit more careful with your hose/pressure washer.

• mxjamaica

Posted December 13, 2009 - 03:04 PM

i know that there should'nt be any oil its because its a hole to the spark plug... so do you think the head has a crack? after a minute or so u can see a lot of oil coming out

• William1

Posted December 14, 2009 - 08:03 AM

It may also be the valve cover gasket is bad and weeping down the spark plug cavity.

• l_campionero

Posted December 14, 2009 - 08:12 AM

It may also be the valve cover gasket is bad and weeping down the spark plug cavity.

That's an idea, and easily fixed if so.:moon:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.