Airbox Port L&M Mod

14 replies to this topic
  • DPW

Posted December 11, 2009 - 05:37 AM

thought the lucky guys with '10 might find this pic interesting...

Posted Image

source>> http://www.vitalmx.c...g-Facility,3011

• rickallen124

Posted December 11, 2009 - 06:52 AM

Yeah, Lightspeed is working on a fix for the small air intake inlets into the airbox. It is supposed to help the engine rev out more even in it's stock form. Not sure what it will entail just yet.

• SUnruh

Posted December 11, 2009 - 06:54 AM

fine and dandy on a indoor sx bike.

mx that would be an issue.

offroad that would be a MAJOR issue. hey look water can get a straight shot to the valves as well!!!

• sean3239

Posted December 11, 2009 - 08:31 AM

Inevitably I would spill gasoline down those holes and wash the oil off parts of the filter...:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2009 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, Lightspeed is working on a fix for the small air intake inlets into the airbox. It is supposed to help the engine rev out more even in it's stock form. Not sure what it will entail just yet.

I'd be surprised to find that there was anything to it at all. The two air inlets that are already there are each roughly twice the size of the throttle bore, meaning the total inlet is about 4 times as large as that. Cutting out the sides of the inlet shrouds, or slotting, or whatever will not benefit the engine in any way unless the current inlet creates a pressure drop at the opening. To make any improvement at all, anything done would have to cause an increase in air pressure in the plenum directly below the filter element at full throttle.

If I were to open up the air ducts at all, it would be at the lower rear corner, so as to let dust blow straight through and out, while the intake air made its upward turn.

• harrperf

Posted December 11, 2009 - 11:35 AM

While I don't think this is what they are after...air box resonance can greatly add power in a narrow band.

Changing the inlet holes and quantity etc...can effect this.

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2009 - 11:56 AM

Considering the layout of the intake tract, the major, primary component effecting resonance is the plenum (open, wider volume) above the end of the intake horn of the air boot, below the filter. This is the effective terminus of the intake tract, and the most change in its resonant character would be made by altering either its volume, the material from which it is made, or both. Changing the inlets remote from this will have some small effect on this, but very little.

And, as you mentioned, it's only effective within a narrow range.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rickallen124

Posted December 11, 2009 - 05:35 PM

MXA complained about how small the intake into the airbox was in relation to the space around the air filter. Light speed is working on a modified airbox for Yamaha and will probably make it available to the public.

• FinchFan194

Posted December 11, 2009 - 06:08 PM

Just seems to me that it is all just someone trying to sell something. The bike was what 5 years in the making don't you guys think the Yamaha engineers would have solved the problem if there was one. . .also Larry Brooks is a tool and prob just out to try and sell something.

• Ray450

Posted December 12, 2009 - 06:50 AM

Yea, that looks like it could cause some problems, I'd want to at least be able to close them with something other than duct tape. You think that would have been an issue a few years ago at this race?

http://i565.photobuc...RayatAthens.jpg

• Joe_Jet

Posted December 12, 2009 - 04:56 PM

cycra will prob have nice shrouds designed for better flow and notas costly as a carbon fiber air box.

• honda597

Posted December 13, 2009 - 01:06 AM

For us mear mortals i would think the bike has more than enough power out of the box.
I am in no hurry the cut the shrouds up for more air, i kinda like the way the air filter is protected as it comes from the factory.:banghead:

• cwcarter

Posted December 13, 2009 - 02:01 AM

Looks abit rough from the L&M boys. Could of put some gauze there or something.:banghead:

• ProMed

Posted December 13, 2009 - 07:30 AM

The bike was what 5 years in the making don't you guys think the Yamaha engineers would have solved the problem if there was one. . .

You could say this same thing about almost every new mx bike when it comes out. History says otherwise.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 13, 2009 - 02:22 PM

Looks abit rough from the L&M boys. Could of put some gauze there or something.:banghead:

I guess they thought that Stewart would be up front. As for me I would need to keep it stock:smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.