I sat on the 2010 YZ450F today! (WHITE)

130 replies to this topic
  • aaroncmh

Posted December 16, 2009 - 01:08 PM

Not in my case Aaron, it is the reality from my 40min ride test on one......the bike is sweet don't get me wrong, but like every first year attempt it does have some issues that need to be worked out....thankfully not as many as the 09 CRF450 :cheers:
...remember magazines are there to help sell bikes, MXA was very very much on the mark with the 2010. Bike of the Year is meaningless....unless you wanted a Cannondale :moon:

Bike of the Year is meaningless? So what the magazines say are meaningless? But you were actually the first person in this thread to regurgitate exactly what MXA said so it must mean something.
And how do you know if the 2010 Yamaha has less (or more) "issues" than the Honda? Because you read about the Hondas "issues" in MXA? So now the magazines aren't meaningless because MXA were the main ones with Honda issues? You'll find dozens of guys on TT that love their Honda and thousands or more beyond it but that isn't really the point. I just say that because I don't think they have issues with the Honda.
So I guess they aren't meaningless?

• DPW

Posted December 16, 2009 - 01:15 PM

Bike of the Year is meaningless? So what the magazines say are meaningless?

yes and most magazines in my opinion are meaningless....the only one that I pay attention to is MXA...just my opinion.

The real judge is the rider who bought the bike and rides it on his tracks.

• Mike546

Posted December 16, 2009 - 01:34 PM

I had an 09 Honda and liked the bike just not the suspension so much. Sold the Honda and I now have an 08 RMZ 450 and I like everything about the bike, I'm sure it didn't test well but I really don't know. So Yamaha comes out with this new innovative bike and even though I like the Zook I'm getting the Yamaha, I might regret it but that's a chance I'll take. I would love to get an 09 YZ but I had an 06 and really didn't like the way it turned. I'll let you know how I make out in the spring.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 16, 2009 - 01:49 PM

I would love to get an 09 YZ but I had an 06 and really didn't like the way it turned. I'll let you know how I make out in the spring.

Get the 09! 06 turned like a turd. 09 is much better and you'll save money. The other thing is you can get 0% interest, no payments and no money down on the 09.:moon: Free for a year

• aaroncmh

Posted December 16, 2009 - 02:09 PM

yes and most magazines in my opinion are meaningless....the only one that I pay attention to is MXA...just my opinion.

The real judge is the rider who bought the bike and rides it on his tracks.

Agreed but you're not familiar with the whole thread...or even my whole post.

• mediumfast

Posted December 16, 2009 - 02:15 PM

Get the 09! 06 turned like a turd. 09 is much better and you'll save money. The other thing is you can get 0% interest, no payments and no money down on the 09.:moon: Free for a year

Just go ahead and wait for the 2010 Yamaha. The 09 may turn better than an 06 but it's slow compared to every other 450 on the track, except maybe an 08 yz450. The mechanical muffler is a joke. Great for trail riders but that's about it. Can a 40+ Jr. rider tell the difference? Yes. I rode a stock 09 yz450 after riding my 08 crf450 and was completely surprised at how dead the engine felt. It feels and sounds like there's a shop rag in the airbox. Could I learn how to ride the yz fast...probably, but I'd be working a lot harder than if I was on a different bike. Same holds true for the handling of the older yzs. I'm sure I could learn to deal with the push but why bother when I can buy a bike that steers the way it's supposed to? I have no brand loyalties. I buy what I think will work for me. I use the magazines as a resource. I don't base my opinions solely on what's written. I take what's written in the magazines exactly like I take most of the rhetoric I read on this forum.....just someone's opinion.

Edited by mediumfast, December 16, 2009 - 02:39 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2009 - 03:22 PM

Bike of the Year is meaningless? So what the magazines say are meaningless?

These days? Yes, for the most part, with one or two exceptions. Same as the Car of the Year, or Truck of the Year. In several cases of any of these, I would not have kept one of them if it were given to me. As for the mags, the kind of in depth objective testing they did 30 years ago has essentially disappeared. As far as the "issues" of one brand or other, MXA nor anyone else has, to my knowledge, discussed these kinds of known problems in their tests. Their excuse/reason is that they don't have the bike long enough for such problems to surface, which, frankly, is not always entirely honest. Although in some extreme cases, like the Cannondale, they did publish a record of such experiences. For the most part, the information about the specific problems you're referring to came from places like this forum.

yes and most magazines in my opinion are meaningless....

They exist to sell magazines and advertising, and theri content is largely influenced by those interests. MXA and Dirt Bike are probably the two best, but they also lack the kind of cold technical examination you used to get from publications such as Cycle World back in the day, and the reader is left with the subjective opinions of the editor and staff, which will vary with their mood as much as anything else.

Agreed but you're not familiar with the whole thread...or even my whole post.

Pardon me for saying so, but I do rather doubt you have any way of knowing what the gentleman is or isn't familiar with. Perhaps he simply disagrees.

• FinchFan194

Posted December 16, 2009 - 03:32 PM

Bike of the Year is meaningless? So what the magazines say are meaningless? But you were actually the first person in this thread to regurgitate exactly what MXA said so it must mean something.
And how do you know if the 2010 Yamaha has less (or more) "issues" than the Honda? Because you read about the Hondas "issues" in MXA? So now the magazines aren't meaningless because MXA were the main ones with Honda issues? You'll find dozens of guys on TT that love their Honda and thousands or more beyond it but that isn't really the point. I just say that because I don't think they have issues with the Honda.

Man if you buy your bike based on bike shootouts you would be one of the first I have heard that from. . .

• nephic

Posted December 16, 2009 - 03:56 PM

Just another note, I spent some time the other day and shot an email to Jeremy Albrecht from JGR to get some opinions on the 2010 vs. the 2009. I asked him if he thought I should buy the 2010, or pick up a cheap 2009 and spend my extra $3,000 worth of nickels getting goodies from their race shop to hop up the engine, suspension etc. on an 09. He told me without reservations that I should wait for one to show up and buy the 2010. I thought that was extremely classy, and that it says a lot about the new bike, and about a class act business over at JGR Yamaha.

• FinchFan194

Posted December 16, 2009 - 04:03 PM

^^^ He is doing his job and that is to help sell Yamaha's. . .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 16, 2009 - 04:45 PM

So ya it's well worth the $3500 extra....and then some
That is unless you don't have it, but if ... you race even semi seriously then it's well worth paying more, And unless you paid $3999 otd I didn't pay $3500 more for it :moon:

I'm going to have to agree with this. For one thing, if you shop, you don't HAVE to pay $3500 more for the '10, although th epanic sale on the earlier ones is really heating up.

And yes, it's true that there are some people who can turn even an '06 with no apparent difficulty (my son is one of them), it's no surprise to anyone that the the '09 and earlier bikes do not carve like an RM, and can't really be made to. If they suit your style then they do, if not, well... But with all that, why wouldn't a bike that has all of the ruggedness of a YZ, an engine that can more or less be dialed in to your liking, AND a quicker, more precise, more willing turning nature be worth some more than the previous year's hold overs?

Frankly, I think the question only comes up because of the economy, and the opportunism of some dealers who want to capitalize on the hype to the maximum extent possible. I don't remember this being such a big deal in '06, when the new bike was being sold for MSRP+ and there were plenty of '05's around.

• rider211

Posted December 16, 2009 - 07:10 PM

I can tell you that from riding boyh bike's that the yzf definitely has no issues like the 09 not even close, not to say the yami doesn't have any it does just that there small in comparison

• twenty34

Posted December 16, 2009 - 09:48 PM

He told me without reservations that I should wait for one to show up and buy the 2010.

Funny, most Yamaha dealers will tell you the same thing :moon:

You may want to take his advice, but just wait well into 2010 before making the purchase. Your wife and your wallet will thank you.

• rufusz

Posted December 17, 2009 - 01:34 AM

This is hilarious..... A lot of people complained about the (07-)08-09 models not having enough bottom end power, not enough bottom end kick, like the KXF...now the 10 has too much, too harsh, too much kick....and it even gives you the possibility to change the power curve to your liking with a cheap tool... thing that you could accomplish on early bikes with changing the cams, jetting, powerbowl, etc and I believe the limits where much smaller...and now this isn't good also :moon: lol
And who cares about the stock sprocket size it is delivered with?? Go and buy a sprocket that you're riding style/environment requires.
These are not arguments against this bike...

• fraser

Posted December 17, 2009 - 02:55 AM

Well I must say I'm surprised by all the negative comments in here, disappointed actually. I finally made the jump from a 250f and bought one last week. Not ridden it yet as the weather here is horrible, but everything about it impresses me. I think a lot of the negativity is price related, people understandably deciding they can't afford one, then trashing the bike in order to justify their decision and make themselves feel better. On the flip side anyone who's bitten the bullet and bought one is bound to be defensive of it
Anyway, happy christmas n stuff

• Mike546

Posted December 17, 2009 - 03:02 AM

Cheers :moon:

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 17, 2009 - 03:51 AM

Well I must say I'm surprised by all the negative comments in here, disappointed actually. I finally made the jump from a 250f and bought one last week. Not ridden it yet as the weather here is horrible, but everything about it impresses me. I think a lot of the negativity is price related, people understandably deciding they can't afford one, then trashing the bike in order to justify their decision and make themselves feel better. On the flip side anyone who's bitten the bullet and bought one is bound to be defensive of it

Well first of all I want to congratulate you on your switch to Blue Blood. I came over from Honda in 06 and haven't regretted it. I have had a 06,08,09, and then another 09 which I just bought. This is the first year that I haven't bought the latest and greatest, due to my personal decisions. I first want to say that I'm not knocking the 2010 Yamaha YZ450F. It's a beautiful bike and I was in line to get one. In my own eye I just couldn't justify the extra money when there are 09's out there for almost half the money. So here it if it came out wrong SORRY. I didn't mean this to be thread on bashing the new kid on the block! All respects! I hope everyone on TT and friends have an enjoyable Christmas and thanks for all of the help I received this year! See you at the track.:moon:

• aaroncmh

Posted December 17, 2009 - 05:05 AM

Man if you buy your bike based on bike shootouts you would be one of the first I have heard that from. . .

Did you read my post? I was merely asking Ga426 why he says the magazines don't count but then spews the MXA article word for word to point out the negatives about the 10.

So for the record, I own an 09 Honda and I love it. I could care less what MXA or any magazine says. I popped over here to read about the 10 Yamaha because I think its a really, really cool bike...in doing so I'm seeing the same stuff that happened last year with the Honda. And that's people taking their time just to pass off negative comments from a magazine as their own to put the bike down. Then everyone keeps chopping up my post to one sentence about "so the magazines don't count" or whatever and commenting on just that sentence. My whole point was who cares what the magazines say.

And if someone were to read the whole thread they would see that I was defending the 2010 YZ450 and the people that buy them (ha, ha). The bike is gonna be great...

• JJetmar

Posted December 17, 2009 - 05:54 AM

Well said. I for one am board of the negative make myself feel better for not getting one comments. Congrat's to eveyone that did buy one.

• grayracer513

Posted December 17, 2009 - 06:53 AM

I think a lot of the negativity is price related, people understandably deciding they can't afford one, then trashing the bike in order to justify their decision and make themselves feel better.

It's a common phenomena known as "sour grapes".

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.