I sat on the 2010 YZ450F today! (WHITE)

130 replies to this topic
  • Wes Woodin

Posted December 11, 2009 - 03:49 PM

Now I fully expected you GreyRacer to respond and you have some valid points...
I was kidnapped last weekend and threw a leg over it and spent about 20min X 2 sessions on a blue one last weekend...I could care a less what MXA says - but they were 95% dead on with my ride report after the first 20mins on it.
I thought the gear spacing was different than my 06 and any 07-09 I rode...it needs another tooth or 2 in back. Especially between 2nd and 3rd...in deep loam.
The EFI - issue for me is that the throttle is almost too sensitive in the first 1/4 of movement(I know ... where is the bog...nope thank god this is gone) it is just too sensitive as a slight twist from the beginning causes a almost too big a gain, it needs to be smoother like the last 3/4 turn offers, if this makes any since...this is great on the starting line this is hairy in tight corners or grabbing some throttle...
The vibration - I am spoiled I guess, the 06 is butter smooth compared to this....the 2010 vibration is not quite as noticeable as my 470 Bigbore but it is there...needs more counterbalancer I think.
I think 6 bolts and lifting the gas tank up to access the filter is overkill sorry.(this is the cluster I refer to) If you can do it in 3mins....you need to apply to JGR Racing...they need you. :cheers: (Grey to your point it will stay cleaner...but seems there could be a better system to it)
POWERWISE, It just seemed to me that it was slightly starved for more air....like the old days when you would take the metal air filter cover off your 72 pontiac and flip it over for more air and you thought it got faster....Sorry only over 40yr olds will get this :banghead:(it did not feel underpowered it just felt clogged up to me)I assume this is why the Proteams are opening up air holes? A pipe would be my first purchase also to add a little more punch.

But in fairness here is what was stellar - the suspension is by far the best out of the box OEM I have ever felt.
The ability to lay it down to corner - it does carve a heck of a lot better, probably better than any other Yami 4smoker
, and the ergos were almost perfect while riding. The bike flies extremely well -probably better than any other ride I have ridden...
You actually could not feel the extra weight while riding...you can feel it trying to pick it up

another little complaint:
I do however absolutely hate the hole under the seat .... it does collect some dirt and just seems plain stupid to me why there is no cover over it on both sides..it looks hokey.

Now again I will say this....it is brand new..the hype is there and the dealers will bone you on hype...reality is this....when the hype is gone....do you want to be left knowing that the 8-9k bike you just had to be the first 10 in line to have is only worth 40-45%(being conservative -it will probably be more) after 12-18mos, and then worth even less as you approach 2yrs? Sorry not me....

I think the 2010 is a really unique and very very good bike. But IMHO Yami has some work to do on this bike to refine it....but like every first year attempt this is the case, just seems like this year there is more to address....thankgoodness a new bike is not on my list this year.

Dude as usual! You and I are from the same egg

• rider211

Posted December 11, 2009 - 08:16 PM

just picked mine up today was $12000 here in australia, wish we had your prices i wouldnt be in so much dept lol........
who cares you only live once lol.....................

I hear ya bro, Those are the words i live by!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

• RussFinancesHomes.com

Posted December 11, 2009 - 10:48 PM

I just got back from the international bike show in Seattle. It appears to me that a major flaw in the new design will be the ability to make a larger tank to satisfy the offroad guys.

• Huckster

Posted December 12, 2009 - 05:21 AM

Just think, when the 2011 and 2012s come out eight grand will sound like a bargin.

LOL!!! great point and one of the major reasons this industry is declining.....

• Luv2crash

Posted December 12, 2009 - 08:45 AM

The price is not a huge factor, at least it shouldn't be. KTM and Husaberg have been selling boat loads of bikes at these prices for years. Also ANY brand new bike you buy will depreciate severely. All the time spent messing with a carb is gone and now it's like we have to find a few extra bolts for the air filter to hang our hats on as a "hassle"

• Ga426owner

Posted December 12, 2009 - 10:33 AM

Dude as usual! You and I are from the same egg

Wes, I would just chock this up...JUST LIKE THE GEICO AD...you just saved yourself a bunch of money so far this year.....and wait until after SX starts. You will see a ton of slightly used 2010 YZF450s for sale with ads that say...."Injury forces sale"...and most will have less than 5-10hrs on them...then think about buying one for 4.5 - 5k. :banghead:

or wait for 2011...for a better bike:thumbsup:

• boosted22

Posted December 12, 2009 - 02:23 PM

if you can wait that long that's great, or if you can wait for the 2014 that would be even better, but what if you waited till the 2016 woo hoo, I reckon that one wont have wheels and hover, what a bike that's going to be...

if you can wait, then for sure wait and no doubt there will be refinements with it, as there is too every bike every year.

if you are looking for a new bike now then its a hard choice, i wouldnt be able too afford to just get the 09 for now then get a 2011 when they come out.

heres some price we have too contend with here in Australia

2009 bmwx $13950, a ktm 2010 530 exc $14450 a new 09 yz450 9990 -11000 a 09 wrf450 12990 - 13990 and half them are not even ride away prices, bikes have gone up for sure but i gues hasn't everything.

• Mike546

Posted December 12, 2009 - 04:22 PM

Imagine if you passed up the 06 when it came out and waited for the refinements of the 09, only to discover it's the 09 is the same exact bike. Oh wait thats not true, the 06 was better.

• motocrsr82

Posted December 12, 2009 - 04:25 PM

If your fast and can use it, it is the stuff. I have an 08 honda with fifteen grand in it, it is perfect. The new yammy gives me a woodie. I sat on one, and it is tall, seems like someone finally sprung a 450 for a two hundred pound normal rider. Everyone who has ridden one loves it except jody, and he only like ktm. Just wait till january and the prices will be better.

Flyn

• Joe_Jet

Posted December 12, 2009 - 04:38 PM

I just got back from the international bike show in Seattle. It appears to me that a major flaw in the new design will be the ability to make a larger tank to satisfy the offroad guys.

how could that be considered a design flaw for an mx bike? this bike's purpose is mx and sx. offroad...thats what wr's are for.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Joe_Jet

Posted December 12, 2009 - 04:44 PM

that's ridiculous. if you had skills you would notice and appreciate the refinements. maybe not worth buying a new bike for the average rider that doesnt race or rides less than 75hrs/year. the 08 had significant enough improvements to warrant a new bike purchase. if you ride race 100 hrs a year you are a candidate for a new bike annually and would appreciate the refinement in addition to a fresh new bike.

• FinchFan194

Posted December 12, 2009 - 05:30 PM

if you can wait that long that's great, or if you can wait for the 2014 that would be even better, but what if you waited till the 2016 woo hoo, I reckon that one wont have wheels and hover, what a bike that's going to be...

if you can wait, then for sure wait and no doubt there will be refinements with it, as there is too every bike every year.

if you are looking for a new bike now then its a hard choice, i wouldnt be able too afford to just get the 09 for now then get a 2011 when they come out.

heres some price we have too contend with here in Australia

2009 bmwx $13950, a ktm 2010 530 exc $14450 a new 09 yz450 9990 -11000 a 09 wrf450 12990 - 13990 and half them are not even ride away prices, bikes have gone up for sure but i gues hasn't everything.

What we mean by waiting is to not have the first year of a new model. At least let them refine it after on year is all.

• RussFinancesHomes.com

Posted December 12, 2009 - 10:22 PM

how could that be considered a design flaw for an mx bike? this bike's purpose is mx and sx. offroad...thats what wr's are for.

I understand your point. From what I have been told the majority of mx bikes spend more time on the trail. Just seems to me that the small tank will limit market share.

• aaroncmh

Posted December 13, 2009 - 10:20 AM

Well I hope you 2010 guys really love the bike and have a blast riding it...on looks alone its one of the best.
For some reason there are people that insist on trying to say you're stupid for buying it (I went through that last year ha, ha). Like wait for the next year or the next or the next...and like someone said every new bike is going to depreciate. The 2010 YZ450 isn't going to depreciate more than any other new bike just because its a new design.
And there will probably be some people going into every thread about the 2010 pointing out the negatives they read about or heard about...ignore that too.
I'm sure it will be a great bike...enjoy it!

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 13, 2009 - 11:04 AM

What we mean by waiting is to not have the first year of a new model. At least let them refine it after on year is all.

sometime it takes 2-3 years. Case in point with 2006. Finally got most of it right in 09

• mediumfast

Posted December 13, 2009 - 12:13 PM

thank you aaroncmh. the 2010 yz450 isnt going to depreciate any faster than any other 450. it's pretty much a no brainer that it will be more refined for 2011. tell me something i don't already know. not everyone is paying over msrp. in fact i'm getting a better deal on a 2010 yz450 than i got on my 08 crf450 (400 off msrp and 300 off msrp respectively). i agree that paying thousands over msrp isn't the wisest choice but if you can afford it, more power to you.

• rider211

Posted December 13, 2009 - 01:27 PM

that's ridiculous. if you had skills you would notice and appreciate the refinements. maybe not worth buying a new bike for the average rider that doesnt race or rides less than 75hrs/year. the 08 had significant enough improvements to warrant a new bike purchase. if you ride race 100 hrs a year you are a candidate for a new bike annually and would appreciate the refinement in addition to a fresh new bike.

thats how i roll :banghead:

Edited by rider211, December 13, 2009 - 01:31 PM.
It didnt have it in a quote box

• DPW

Posted December 13, 2009 - 05:20 PM

I sat on a white '10 YZ450 today too and rode it! fun bike....

• steve_97060

Posted December 13, 2009 - 06:28 PM

that's it, you rode it, and it was fun?

details man, details...

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 13, 2009 - 06:28 PM

Is it honestly worth a difference of $3500?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.