New 450-slow but cool

3 replies to this topic
  • ckulzer

Posted April 30, 2003 - 07:04 AM

My first thread. Forgive me if I seem nervous…..

I picked up my WR450 from the dealer last night – finally. I only had a chance to ride it in the lot before I loaded it up. Having sold my XR650 and remembering how that felt, the WR seemed very slow in stock form. I look forward to uncorking it and applying the free mods.

I bike arrived at the dealer on Friday without the TSB completed. I was surprised that the work was not done, since the WR was supposed to be in “sometime in March”. I thought that Yamaha was holding back shipments to perform the TSB. Apparently not.

I have the following pieces to install:
Devol frame guards
• GYT-R baffle
Devol radiator guards
Pro Moto Billet disk guard
• Utah Sport Cycle skid plate
• Pro-Taper bars – mid CR bend in black w/ Answer adaptor
Enduro Engineering bark busters with EE hand guards – all black
Twin Air filter x 2
Yamaha hour meter
• Big handful of jets
• Childish/vulgar stickers – important :)
Any comments or suggestions before the work begins?

Thanks to all TT members for sharing info. I ordered this bike in January and with the help of TT, I know more about the 450 than most dealers.

Ride fast – take chances.

• Jonesy920

Posted April 30, 2003 - 11:19 AM

Make sure your wrap the lead wire for the Hour meter arount the COIL not the wires off the plug/coil. The directions are wrong. The coil looks like the spark plug cap on a two stroke.... :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • David_Gronlund

Posted April 30, 2003 - 12:15 PM

My WR450 was pigish in stock form until I unplugged it, drilled some 1" holes in the air box and rejeted it. Now she runs real good. I suggest going with a YZF450 needle in the carb. It really helped mine out in the mid range.

• Jonesy920

Posted April 30, 2003 - 01:06 PM

Dave are you still running the YZ needle ? And are you running unplugged or with the insert. I put the YZ needle in but haven't had a chance to test run yet :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.