Keep the head clean

14 replies to this topic
  • mweitz

Posted December 10, 2009 - 05:40 PM

I checked my valves today on my WR426F.

I cleaned up pretty well, but there is always some gunk under the wires / cables right above the head that are hard to get perfectly clean, so I wrapped the whole mess with saran wrap while I was working. Came out pretty well I think.

Of course, that was just for while the head cover was off so no dirt or grime flaked into the engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mark

Edited by mweitz, December 11, 2009 - 12:06 PM.

• jokerflingo

Posted December 10, 2009 - 07:02 PM

I checked my valves today on my WR426F.

I cleaned up pretty well, but there is always some gunk under the wires / cables right above the head that are hard to get perfectly clean, so I wrapped the whole mess with saran wrap. Came out pretty well I think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mark

Now i am not any expert with "Saran Wrap" or whatever it is, but i can tell you here and now i would never do that due to moisture, heat and a countless number of other things that could turn that into a mess.

• mweitz

Posted December 10, 2009 - 08:00 PM

I'm not sure what you mean? It is basically a barrier from the frame and wires to the head top that also holds it all out of the way while I was checking the valves for clearance.

I removed it when I was finished.

• SXP

Posted December 11, 2009 - 12:49 AM

Great idea:thumbsup:

• drz=fun

Posted December 11, 2009 - 01:56 AM

Quick easy and clean nice one :banghead:

• atitagain

Posted December 11, 2009 - 06:00 AM

good gas to you! Great idea. Thanks for posting w/ pics.

• matt4x4

Posted December 11, 2009 - 07:31 AM

What he means is for long term - most people that read the post will assume you did this for a long term install - because it does not seal at either end, it will allow moisture to get between the frame and saran wrap, encompassing everything held between the two, the saran wrap will allow a lot less airflow through the area and will therefore retain a lot more moisture and this will allow moisture to work it's way into your connectors bundled up inside, eventually causing moisture related issues with your electrical.
Although a great idea in theory - unless you can completely seal each end against the frame and around each wire loom, it is probably better if you just use 4 or 5 zip ties along the same length the saran currently covers to pull everything up in the area, at least the zip ties will allow for evaporation and continued airflow.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • atitagain

Posted December 11, 2009 - 09:33 AM

I'm not sure what you mean? It is basically a barrier from the frame and wires to the head top that also holds it all out of the way while I was checking the valves for clearance.

I removed it when I was finished.

"I removed it when I was finished".
It was wrapped up just to aid in keeping the valve-train clean and to hold the cables and wires out of the way.

• mweitz

Posted December 11, 2009 - 12:06 PM

I see that it could be confusing. I edited to original post :banghead:

What he means is for long term - most people that read the post will assume you did this for a long term install - because it does not seal at either end, it will allow moisture to get between the frame and saran wrap, encompassing everything held between the two, the saran wrap will allow a lot less airflow through the area and will therefore retain a lot more moisture and this will allow moisture to work it's way into your connectors bundled up inside, eventually causing moisture related issues with your electrical.
Although a great idea in theory - unless you can completely seal each end against the frame and around each wire loom, it is probably better if you just use 4 or 5 zip ties along the same length the saran currently covers to pull everything up in the area, at least the zip ties will allow for evaporation and continued airflow.

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 11, 2009 - 03:19 PM

Worthy of a Best Practice:thumbsup:

• lowercasee

Posted December 11, 2009 - 03:36 PM

Very good idea!

• mweitz

Posted February 04, 2011 - 06:12 AM

Bump for a clean engine...

• wrwest

Posted February 04, 2011 - 06:25 AM

The thought of a lonterm aplication never even crossed my mind - common sense......o well common sense is not common anymore.

• mweitz

Posted February 04, 2011 - 07:03 AM

The thought of a lonterm aplication never even crossed my mind - common sense......o well common sense is not common anymore.

LOL, well, I thought it was pretty evident. If you left it on, it would become dirty as well, then you would have to do it again next time over the original, and so on and so on :thumbsup:

• mweitz

Posted October 20, 2011 - 06:19 PM

Did this again the other day. I do clean the top of the engine area pretty well before I start, but this helps keep the wires out of the way and keeps errant flakes out of the head.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.