Time to send Yamaha a message

36 replies to this topic
  • dirtdad

Posted February 26, 2002 - 04:50 PM

stroker, just for a better sense of who's who. Just do a search on YZ426Kicks and read all he had to say. Then, do a search on Hick. I think you'll clearly be able to decipher who is a more credible source of info concerning the YZF!

• MikeOK

Posted February 26, 2002 - 05:13 PM

I just want to know who dug up this old post eheheh...

• fastkevin

Posted February 27, 2002 - 05:09 AM

I think it was a troll. The guy dug up an old post, and replied with how happy he is with a KTM. Why a heterosexual male would like a bike with a penis for a fender is beyond me. Are KTM owners heterosexual? :)

• Ga426owner

Posted February 27, 2002 - 07:07 AM

I think you guys are missing the real point here. I am sorry that some of you or a lot of you have had your share of issues & understand your frustration. I guess I have been lucky owning 5 YZF's & 1 WR, I will say purchased new. I have not experienced mechanical failure problems from manufacturing. Yes I went through the 2000 Clutch Basket, mine was fine although my buddies exploded, I went with a hinson. Yes, I learned the hard way not to start my WR in the mud hole I fell into. It took 5 oil changes to get all the trash out & probably still has crap in the motor. A notice would have been nice in the manual for that. My tuner tried to convince me prior to this, to run the hose into the airbox like the Euro Yamaha's. Yep, I should have been more careful changing WR cam timing to YZF. That cost me 900 bills, all due to a 1.25 dollar clip falling into the cylinder & causing complete havoc in the motor & Trans. I have friends & buddies that have the rear hub issues - mainly due to not keeping the sprocket nuts & bolts tight after each & every race.
Yea, I had the masterlink explode making all kinds of chain damage. My oil filter cover allen head stripped out due to that little hole filling up with metal particles eventually ruining the threads, since I have filled that little hole for good.
Yep, I wish Yamaha lubed all the bearings & steering stem like I do, but they don't. That is why I completely disassemble, lube everything, tighten spokes, retorque everything, reassemble every bike before I ride it. Guys, these are racing machines, they need to be constantly taken apart & maintained & put back together w/ proper torque settings. Things are going to break .... that is the nature of a race machine, be it a bike or a car. My SCCA Mustang is constantly costing me & because parts break or need to be replaced constantly. I have been lucky with my 2001 YZF as although it is looking a little rough from weekend races, normal wear & tear, it still works perfectly. This is because I maintain the hell out of it. I have never had overheating issues on my bikes, but would dare say check your water pumps...they do wear out.
Try to get Yamaha's attention. I agree with you. But do not expect too much action. Again remember, you bought a "competition Motorcycle" not a TTR or XR........
What do you think will happen if Yamaha drops the wet sump, oil in the frame, for a dry sump motor? If you do not change your oil after every moto.......you will probably toast everything really fast...
Yep, I am interested in the CRF....but I look over at the red side forum daily to see what kind of problems those guys are experiencing.....I truely see manufacturing defects on those bikes.

This is why TT Forum is so important. We have the ability to share our experiences, our knowledge as well as our lack of knowledge. I would hope that all the 4-Stroke manufacturers would visit this from time to time to read the real world experiences that we all have, both good & bad.

• dirtdad

Posted February 27, 2002 - 07:17 AM

What in tarnation are you talking about? You're trying to sell the wrong croud! If you read the most recent replys here you should have figured out that we're mostly still YZF fans. We're not complaining. This was an old post that was started by someone who had ALOT of problems and I don't know that any of them were related to his bike.

• Ga426owner

Posted February 27, 2002 - 07:20 AM

DirtDad, you are right ! I just noticed the dates.....must be my hangover.....oooooooooooooooopppppppppppppppppppssssssssssssssssss! :)

• IBWFO

Posted March 01, 2002 - 01:17 PM

oops!

[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: IBWFO ]

• MikeOK

Posted March 01, 2002 - 02:30 PM

Hick!!! lolOLOL do you remember this one? hehehahahaha!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JTNC

Posted March 02, 2002 - 05:01 PM

2000 YZ426/33yrs old/180#/B-class moto-x

Had to get the Hinson clutch basket when I first bought it for fear of exploding like my friends'.

Cracked gas tank mid-2001. Two symetrical cracks/rear underside. Yamaha would do NOTHING for me. They said stress is inherent(sp?) to moto-x.(Yeah, no shyt, but this bike is supposed to be made to handle this inherent stress.) As I called for prices on replacements, the guy on the other end proceeded to tell me where my tank was crack before i could tell him(obviously a very common problem if you ride hard moto-x)

Oh, and good luck with the "customer Service" phone number. Hours 8-5. It is busy from 8am to 12pm, then the recording that everyone is out to lunch, then busy from 1pm to 5pm. The only major corp without voicemail or callwaiting huh? They do not want to hear it.

For the record I love this bike! I am faster on it, I don't tire as quickly on it and I feel it fits my riding style. But these issues really burn me up. I want them to stand behind the product. Not that they care, but probably my last Yamaha dirt bike. Hate to say it but Honda's hold up better/look newer longer.

Still love my R6 though!!!!!

• dirtdad

Posted March 02, 2002 - 07:03 PM

Will you guys please read this entire thread completely and pay careful attention to the dates. I think you're missing the point. :)

• JTNC

Posted March 03, 2002 - 07:40 AM

Dirtdad,
I saw the dates.....wanted to share my experiences....what is your hangup with the dates?
Becuase it happened a year ago does not make it any less significant.

• dirtdad

Posted March 03, 2002 - 09:32 AM

I don't have any hang-ups with the dates. The problem with this thread is that it was started by someone who it still remains questionable wether he ever had any problems with his bike or not. If you dig a little deeper and look at all of his posts, you'll see that he was trying to get Yamaha to fix things on his bike based mostly on problems he was reading about from other peoples experiences here on TT! He started doing this even before he ever rode it!!!!! Although I do believe that some have had legitimate problems with their bike and also in their attempt to deal with Yamaha to resolve them, this was not a good thread to re-hash or bring up the discussion again. Sorry if I sounded like I was trying to diminish the info you were sharing.

• DrDirt

Posted March 03, 2002 - 01:15 PM

You guys have way to much time on your hands. Its 75 degrees today in AZ and time to go riding. :)

• JTNC

Posted March 03, 2002 - 01:40 PM

Oh ok, I didn't realize that was what the guy was doing.
Understood.

• YZ426Kicks

Posted March 04, 2002 - 04:09 AM

Originally posted by dirtdad:
I don't have any hang-ups with the dates. The problem with this thread is that it was started by someone who it still remains questionable wether he ever had any problems with his bike or not. If you dig a little deeper and look at all of his posts, you'll see that he was trying to get Yamaha to fix things on his bike based mostly on problems he was reading about from other peoples experiences here on TT! He started doing this even before he ever rode it!!!!! Although I do believe that some have had legitimate problems with their bike and also in their attempt to deal with Yamaha to resolve them, this was not a good thread to re-hash or bring up the discussion again. Sorry if I sounded like I was trying to diminish the info you were sharing.

Hey Dirtdad,

I'm not trying to start this debate again. I just want to say a few remarks that will hopefully close this issue.

I learned a very valuable lesson through this forum and by Yamaha. All I want to say is that if you do read ALL my posts, you will see that my first problem start when I got the bike home and started it. Yes, after about 2 minutes the pipe turned cherry red. After that, ever incident occurred while riding with experience riders.

If I didn't have any other problems, why then, did Yamaha, at no cost rejet my bike when it was jjetted wrong to begin with? Why did I have to spend close to $600.00 on a new Hinson basket, friction plates, pressure plates, washers, an upgrade kit that Yamaha never bothered to inform any '00 owner about, and oh, heck, what's the use...

I learned one thing here. Some are frank enough to admit that sometimes a manufacturer hits and misses, and others are just fixed due to loyalty.

I mean no disrespect. I didn't buy my bike solely because of what I read here in Thumper. But to answer all the arguments about me buying a bike based upon 6 months in this forum:

Does anyone just buy a car or truck because they like it or do they do research with the auto mags and buying guides first? Or how about Consumer Reports? Or talking to people who own the product? Some do the former. I give you that. For others its the latter. So if you blindly, or even half way alertly trust in the Auto Publications or Consumer Reports, and listen to people who own and what they have to say, then why wouldn't I, a rookie, want to listen to all of you here in Thumper who have experience before I purchase? What's the difference? Isn't this what Thumpertalk is all about? To help, share, and befriend?

I not only used Thumpertalk to make my purchase, I also used all the dirt bike mags and spoke to several dealers. None of which said anything about the 2000 model problems until ironically, after I bought my bike AND WAS EXPERIENCING MY ISSUES. Even then they were very keen on downplaying the issues. Go figure...who pays their salaries...lesson learned - SHAME ON ME!

Yahama has made a lot of improvements with the 2001 and 2002. So much that I acknowledge that those who have that model year don't have the issues of the 2000. Guess that's just the breaks.

The problem wasn't with the rider. The problem was that I honestly came here for help on issues that I was not 100% sure about, and all I got was BLUE! Those who have understanding see what I mean.

I still have my bike, although I have lost all interest in riding and I am selling it. I don't know if I will ever get back into it. Maybe it is wrong for me to feel this way, but I prefer the taste of mud over being defecated on just because I was the new kid on the block and had strong convictions and wanted to learn.

Hick...thanks for making me feel wanted here.

And yes, I admit..when I believe in something fully, I don't back down. Sometimes its a blessing, sometimes its a curse.

This matter is dead. Again, Im not saying any of this to start a new. Thanks to all, and God's speed and safety in the new riding year.

Randy
YZ426 Kicks

[ March 04, 2002: Message edited by: YZ426Kicks ]

• yamie_rider

Posted March 09, 2002 - 07:46 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems Randy, I hope you didn't mean what you said about not riding again. :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted March 10, 2002 - 01:52 PM

Man I just read all this stuff, Ok OK OK, I think that the perspective is lost when, yamaha sells a bike that actually is intended for Racers only. With that fact implied, lets look at the obvious one Racer would assume once he recieves the Bike. 1: It will cost a lot to maintain per the yamah suggeted maintanence. 2: With a bike like the 426, the 250's and even the TZ250's and tz500's road racers. Anyone with bucks can buy one, do they have out the door issues you bet yer back side they do. One does not purchase a TZ250 to ride to K-Mart and back one buys to campaign and race expecting to pay alot for after market mods and setup. To look at a problem recall is to say that Microsoft admits to Crappy software. You by the 426 and expect to cow trail the thing with no maintence, this is not a XR400 wher gas and oil is all you need. These bikes need proper attention, I for one would not recommend a bike like this or the 250 to a newbie, I would suggest first a more stable and well rounded bike like the xr250 or 400. I blame the sales people for selling bikes that honestly should not be sold to the general public or Newbie. Take for instace the kid that saves all his paper route money untill he is old enough to buy a street bike, what does he do, goes down buys a gxr600 or yzf600 or if Moomie and Dada are real stupid co-signs a R1 fo rthe snott chewer. The sale guy takes his money gladly with out any quarrel as to the ability of this soon to be hamburger pattie. Bottm line is ya these bikes have problems so do KTM, Hausbergs and so on. If one like to tinker and setup bikes and has the tempermant and experiance ya baby go by the best. But dont blame yamaha or any manufacture for the lack of experiance in what type of bike I should "REALLY" buy myself :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.