XR650R Springs/Handle Bars

7 replies to this topic
  • georgiajim

Posted April 30, 2003 - 05:29 AM

Got a couple of questions about my bike.
1. Suspension - need heavier springs (I'm 6'4" 265). Should I just look at a chart with the weight to determine spring rate?
2. Handle Bars - thinking protaper hi woods. Am looking to get a little more room.
3. Foot Pegs - are any available that might give me a little more room?
4. Tires - I ride in georgia woods/sometimes very muddy. any recommendations.

• Moredesert

Posted April 30, 2003 - 08:59 AM

I went with the CR-Hi bend protapers. With the Scotts top clamp you can move the bar forward as well. Mine are centered over the forks.

Get a fat 140-80x18 S-12. That is a good tire and last a long time even on an XR650.

• hourout

Posted May 01, 2003 - 04:10 PM

im about the same size as you. i went with .46 in the fork and 11.5 for the shock. seems to work well. :)

• needsprayer

Posted May 01, 2003 - 11:41 PM

Footpegs: Fastway F3 Lowboy Footpegs

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Portland_650R

Posted May 02, 2003 - 12:35 PM

IMS make some great wide pegs - Pro Series? - I kept mine from my 250 when I sold it. They are an exact match except when they fold, one tooth contacts the frame. I discovered that afterward. No big deal, grabbed the grinder, took an 1/8 inch off. :)

• qadsan

Posted May 02, 2003 - 01:26 PM

IMS make some great wide pegs - Pro Series?

These are my favorites (IMS Pro Pegs) and one of the best mods I've done.

• jws

Posted May 03, 2003 - 01:20 AM

I am 6'4" 285lbs no gear Fineline did my suspension they used .49 for the fork and 12 for the shock and it rides like a cadilac

Thumper racing makes bar risers that push the bars foward and up an inch and a half thats what i have with jimmy button bend renthals you can see them on baja designs website

• Big_D

Posted May 03, 2003 - 07:36 PM

I agree with JWS,

I am 6'4", 235lb and I went a little heavy from what the Race Tech web site suggested and went with the .49 front and 12.0 rear. Best $200 I have spent on the bike. I am still fiddling with the clickers to see if I can get it any better before I lay down the cash for a re-valve.

Heavy springs like that for a big guy like you will raise the bike up in the travel and allow the valving more time to slow down the hits before you bottom and crack open the earth.

Just my $.02 after a thousand miles of giggles after I swapped springs.

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.