Ground clearance on 05 450f?

12 replies to this topic
  • tek_01

Posted December 09, 2009 - 12:32 PM

hello fellas i have just bought a trailtech kickstand for my 05 450f and it is too long and keeps the bike about 95% upright on flat ground. I emailed trail tech and they said my bike may be lowered and they have never had any problems before with the angle the bike sits on.

So id like to ask if someone can measure me the height of the bottom frame rail from the floor and maybe the seat height too so i can compate

any 03 to 05 should be the same
thanks in advance

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2009 - 02:12 PM

Read:

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

• tek_01

Posted December 09, 2009 - 03:17 PM

I have set my sag at approx 100mm. i regreased my suspension linkage yesterday also and i did not notice any aftermarket lowering link or anything to that extent.
I read the manual and the heights specified are

ground clearance = 379mm
seat height = 999mm (from what point in the seat is that measured??)

Those measurements are for the AU model. US model is about 2mm taller on both measurements
so when i get home today i will measure and compare what mine is .

• YamaLink

Posted December 09, 2009 - 03:42 PM

Did you buy the bike used? If not, then my next point is moot.

If you bought the bike used then the former owner may have a lowering link that looks like a stock one. In Australia a company called Ballard (I think, apologies if I got that wrong) makes a lowering link that looks pretty similar to stock. It's CNC'd vs the forged oem one (or is it cast, I forget).

Anyway, that may be the reason.

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2009 - 03:54 PM

I read the manual and the heights specified are

ground clearance = 379mm
seat height = 999mm (from what point in the seat is that measured??)

You should know that those specs assume the suspension is fully extended.

• l_campionero

Posted December 09, 2009 - 04:00 PM

14.6 inches....

http://www.powerspor...hicles13109.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tek_01

Posted December 09, 2009 - 06:18 PM

You should know that those specs assume the suspension is fully extended.

By that do you mean that it should be sitting on a stand with both wheels barely touching the ground? im a bit confused by that.

And Yes, the bike was bought used. However, im almost 100% certain that it is still stock suspension.

Well to make it a bit easier can someone measure the height of their bike from the floor to the bottom frame fail while it is upright with no weight on it? just free standing

Thanks

• tek_01

Posted December 09, 2009 - 06:37 PM

Ok take a look at this item on ebay. Its the ballards lowering link Yamalink is talking about.
When i greased my linkage mine DID NOT look like that, mine looked cast like the rest of the linkage, not machined like this one in the photo

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2009 - 07:30 PM

By that do you mean that it should be sitting on a stand with both wheels barely touching the ground?

Yes..

• tek_01

Posted December 09, 2009 - 09:00 PM

OK I have taken some photos of my bike and the stand

The 1st picture is my bike on level ground with kickstand down. Notice how upright it is
Posted Image

The 2nd picture is the height of my bike from the ground when it is on the kick stand
Posted Image

The 3rd picture is a further away shot of picture number 2
Posted Image

The 4th picture is my bike on a center stand with suspension fully extended. This is the ground clearance as i believe. In the owners manual the ground clearance is 379mm and in the picture mine is about 389mm but my rear wheel is about 10mm off the ground so that makes up the difference.
Posted Image

The 5th picture is the same as the 4th but from the rear of the bike. Notice how close the stand is to the floor (shown in pic 6) and that is with suspension fully extended
Posted Image

The 6th picture is showing the height of the stand when bike suspension is fully extended. (Pliers are there to get the right perspective)
Posted Image

So let me know what you think? Id like to see if anyone has the same kickstand and how theirs is

• YamaLink

Posted December 10, 2009 - 11:43 AM

Take a pic of your rocker (aka "lowering link") from shifter-side of bike.

• tek_01

Posted December 10, 2009 - 12:23 PM

Will do when i get a chance, You mean like the thing that is on ebay?

• tek_01

Posted December 13, 2009 - 02:46 AM

I hate this kickstand. ugh
should of went the PMB one...
Another problem.. it rubs on the swingarm when the suspension compresses more than 1/3 of the way so now i have a great big rub mark on my swingarm

Im not even going to bother taking a photo of the lowering link. Im either going to mod it to work or throw it in the bin

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.