camshaft sprocket removal

5 replies to this topic
  • Taffy

Posted September 13, 2000 - 11:16 PM

anyone out there had cause to pull the above sprockets off the camshafts?

tight? how did you press them on again?

also does anyone KNOW if there is a difference between the YZ & WR base gasket.

i'm checking out the cam timing, duration, overlap etc.

can anyone find comprehensive duration, timing & lift figures for the stroker cams & those from the DRZ suzuki.

any help would be appreciated.

Taffy

• Taffy

Posted September 15, 2000 - 12:20 PM

at the risk of talking to myself.

i checked all the durations & lift last night & have come to the conclussion that there may be a midrange boost available.

the exhaust cam appears to be very retarded, by as much as 7/8 degrees. i had my wr turned into a wz about a month ago & love the performance improvement. it doesn't jolt forward though when i hit the throttle which is what i want to work on.

the cam topped out at 101/102 degrees & i hope to try the change.

so, has anyone pulled the camwheel off the camshaft.

the wr base gasket micro'd at .020" (.5mm) now can someone tell me the YZ base gasket thickness.

Taffy

[This message has been edited by Taffy (edited 09-15-2000).]

• Boit

Posted September 15, 2000 - 05:09 PM

Taffy,
I've been watching for replies to your question about the cam sprockets as I am also curious about the press fit. I want to take the bike to a local shop that specializes in drag bikes and have them see if they can degree the cams like they did on my KLX.
I just checked my 426 service manual and it doesn't get detailed enough to give the thickness of the cylinder bas gasket. However, I have one on order from HSML and will measure it with a micrometer for you when it arrives.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted September 15, 2000 - 07:23 PM

For street bikes Falicon presses on mounts that have two threaded holes and then the gear bolts to that with slotted openings so that you can time it however you want. Don't know if they have an application for the 426 though, you'll have to ask them..... http://www.faliconcranks.com/

------------------
The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg
On two wheels (or 3) since 1970
'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)
'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!
Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

• Taffy

Posted September 15, 2000 - 11:31 PM

thanks greg.

e-mailed him (i think). a great picture of some red hot cranks @1550c. await your reply boit, cheers!

Taffy

• Taffy

Posted September 19, 2000 - 01:00 PM

motogreg

paid my money & ordered a pair of adjustable camwheels tonight. code is SA-Y 400 & $175.

it'll take a week to arrive the slow way as the post is so expensive $6!!!

i'll try it when i can say wo! (i.e. not a race meeting).

stroker have got no figures for the two cams-torque & performance-but are expecting them soon. with titanium valves for next year i would think that either set of cams would be safe. it will need a better cam to take real advantage of those lightweight poppets.

am i fed up though. i've given advice to dozen's of guy's & when I ask the 615 of you for the thickness of a base gasket to fit a YZ HOW MANY OF YOU HELP?

ARE YOU TELLING ME NOT ONE OF YOU HAS A BASEGASKET & A MICROMETER? *^!~+~*^!!'S.

Taffy

[This message has been edited by Taffy (edited 09-19-2000).]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.