kx250 front end sucks

27 replies to this topic
  • motorazer

Posted December 08, 2009 - 09:16 PM

i love the power and the rear handling of my 250 but the front just flat out sucks. can wash out for mo reason, give me head shake fron time to time. and the front brake is crap!

wish it handled like my husky, solid from brake, super stable.

ps yes i rebuilt the front master cyl and have new steeringn head bearings.

im thinking a new tripple clamp and steering set up but not sure if anyone offers anything for this old o a bike now. the front brake is way to squishy and alway has been on this bike, about the same as before i rebuilt the master cyl. also tried the zip tie it to the bar over night trick, it helped a bit but not enough for me to be 100% happy with it.

any help here guys?

its an 03 btw

• sikmajik

Posted December 08, 2009 - 09:21 PM

a real man doesnt need no stinking brakes.

• sikmajik

Posted December 08, 2009 - 09:23 PM

...and my front tire is never contacting the ground anyhow.

• sikmajik

Posted December 08, 2009 - 09:28 PM

p.s. while you are "handling" your husky I'll be the guy who rides right over top of you.

• sikmajik

Posted December 08, 2009 - 09:28 PM

lol, just kidding. Kind of.

• sikmajik

Posted December 08, 2009 - 10:08 PM

mine's kind of like riding a unicycle.

• motoxmann

Posted December 08, 2009 - 10:45 PM

On your brake, what condition is your line?
You might want to use a Braided SS line.
If that doesn't help enough you can get a 320mm front brake rotor kit from EBC.
It will toss you over the bars with a slight pull.
On your head shake you may have one of several problems.
Bad or out of balance tire.
Wrong tire pressure.
Bad or poorly set up forks.
Bent frame?
Riding style :-)

• gbwilliams

Posted December 09, 2009 - 03:08 PM

Ensure your forks are at the right position in the triple clamps. By the sound of it they are ridiculously high. (millimeters make a big difference). How many hours are on this bike? you may have a really badly glazed front rotor. Every KX250 i know of from 03 and up was likely to flip you over if you hit that front brake too hard.
Their are so many things it can be with the little information you gave us. You could be a 240 lb rider with 165 lb springs, you could have bought the bike from a guy who had it set up for woods and now your trying to jump 100 foot gaps.
The fork oil could be 5 years old..... you could have your compression and rebound adjuster completely set out of wack......
I can go on and on.

give us some info

• Sloalty

Posted December 09, 2009 - 09:04 PM

duno if it applies to you but i had some fork fluid leak out from a leaky fork seal and it got on my pads and made it fade real bad.....i put some red ebc pads and it can lock up with just using one finger i love it light pull and stops fast....30 buck for the pads tho

• md2020

Posted December 10, 2009 - 04:19 AM

I think my '03 KX 250 handles great... after sending the suspension to a competent shop and having it re-valved, set up for my weight and the type of riding I do, and all fluids and seals replaced. Sag needs to be set, you might need different springs and you need to make sure your forks are the correct height in the triple clamps like was said above. Sounds like something is worn out or bad out of adjustment.

• cxcmoto

Posted December 10, 2009 - 08:13 AM

My 03 KX250 is capable of doing front wheel stoppies with stock front brakes. Plenty of stopping power.
I flush/bleed the brakes 2 times / year.
I use EBC R-sintered pads on some after-market rotor.

Make sure your front break line is in good shape. If there is any stretch or give to it, then you just expand the brake line instead of moving the pad when you pull on the lever.

MSR Stainless Steel brake line

I think Moose, Motomaster, etc, also make some.

• Keith Z

Posted December 10, 2009 - 09:42 AM

Hi, I have a 06 KX250 that experienced a lot of wash outs on the front end. Instead of new triple clamps I opted for an adjustable rekluse front axle. It moved the front wheel out 4mm. What a huge difference and it's alot cheaper and easier to install than new triple clamps. It handles like a whole new bike. try it, you'll love it.

• SAPPERS

Posted December 10, 2009 - 10:09 AM

I have an 05 and I experience the same issues. I rebuilt the forks due to leaking seals. My brake is also very spongey plus the pull is too sloppy. My sons 100 and daughters 65 uses the same master cylinder but they have about a 1/2" pull to seriously stop you. My 250 is at least an inch to slow you down.

I had severe headshake and runnin down a Pa gasline 5th gear is very scary when it starts to shake. I have it toned down a little now with rebuilt forks and hours of front and rear suspension tweeking. I'm gonna look nto that Rekluse deal.

• Winkel

Posted December 12, 2009 - 06:40 PM

For the front end wash out, it sounds like the front end is too low. Make sure your forks are as low as they will go in the triple clamps and increase your rear sag if necessary. This should help your high speed stability.
Winkel

• motorazer

Posted December 13, 2009 - 06:58 PM

the forks are about as high as i can get them.

in 220. not sure when the fork oil was changed last. think the clickers are set 2 in from the top, comp and rebound. raised the rear up and that helped a bit. i bleed my brakes at least once a year.

• makKX250

Posted December 14, 2009 - 09:46 AM

I had the same problems with my 06 washing out after being revalved. I went with 10 mm less sag and 3 clicks less rebound in the rear and it seems to have cured it for now.

• gbwilliams

Posted December 14, 2009 - 03:25 PM

the forks are about as high as i can get them.

in 220. not sure when the fork oil was changed last. think the clickers are set 2 in from the top, comp and rebound. raised the rear up and that helped a bit. i bleed my brakes at least once a year.

1st thing to do: get your shock and fork oil changed and seals if you need them. If you can afford it get it revalved and sprung for your weight by a professional suspension shop. You are about 40 pounds over what all stock motocross bikes are sprung for and that is definitely part of the problem. At the least, get correct springs in their with your oil changes.

2. Have someone you know and trust, (preferably a suspension guy) set your sag properly after get your revalve or oil change. If you do your sag incorrectly you will NEVER get the bike to feel right.

3. Find the stock height for your forks to sit in your triple clamps and start from their. After your forks and shock are revalved/oil changed, ensure your clickers are in the middle for each setting and start messing with them as necessary.

The biggest problems are 1. fork and shock oil, wrong spring rate and probably a ridiculous fork ride height in the triple clamps.

When you sit on your bike, your springs are compressing way to much, thus shortening the wheel base and creating problems with stability and making your bike dig way too much in the corners. High speed stability will definitely suffer the most with the incorrect springs.

Remember that most motocross bikes are set up for 155-170 pound rider that is 5'10 to about 6'0 ft. If you are out of those measurements it is a good idea to adjust suspension and controls: i.e. higher or lower bars, lowered footpegs and different seats.

Hope I helped....

• motorazer

Posted December 21, 2009 - 09:48 PM

well it looks like im going to be racing this thing in a couple weeks. ill try a new brake line and see what happens. my rotor looks fine, no discoloration. looks straight.

about the suspension being set up for me. ive road bikes that werent set for my weight and height before and they acted fine. i really doubt that the suspension is the problem in this case. would it help? probably. is it the main problem? i dont think so.

thanks for all the help guys. ill let you know whats happening once i get some stuff rolling!

• gbwilliams

Posted December 22, 2009 - 03:33 AM

taking rider skill out of the equation, it IS 100% the main problem...

• motorazer

Posted December 22, 2009 - 07:40 AM

ok then why do other bikes brake better then others when they are a 100% stock set up?

my gf had a kx125 that was an 03. it had better brakes then my 03 250.

suspension work wouldnt hurt the braking problem its not going to fix it though. it would just handle better under braking. it wouldnt make the brake control feel any different in the lever.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.