Plastic restoration question

7 replies to this topic
  • DaveJ

Posted September 13, 2000 - 08:20 PM

Any tips on how to restore to a factory gloss after rough sanding the scratches from the plastic?

Posted September 14, 2000 - 05:09 AM

Originally posted by DaveJ:
Any tips on how to restore to a factory gloss after rough sanding the scratches from the plastic?

On WHITE plastic, you can clean out fine scratches and dirt with "Soft Scrub" mildly abraisive soap found at your local store. It works excellent. You can use the "Soft Soap w/bleach" too, but remove the white plastic from your bike first because the bleach will burn the colored plastic. I just use regular "Soft Scrub" without the bleach and get good results.

To restore colored plastic, they sell a plastic repair kit "Plastic Renew" at Motocross Action says it works but it takes allot of elbow grease and you'll use the whole kit up quickly. I think your best bet with the colored plastic is to smooth the plastic as best you can and apply a new graphics kit. Or invest in new plastic. I've still found no way to bring back the shine/gloss your looking for as of yet. So the "Plastic Renew" is your best bet. Maybee someone who as actually tried it will respond.

Here is what Motocross Action said about "Plastic Renew".

"Test results: It's true! Plastic Renew can make old plastic look presentable. New? Well, not brand-new, but almost new. Not a single MXA test rider thought that Plastic Renew would work. The package contains a couple of pieces of sandpaper, steel wool and a bottle of magic elixir. True to its claims, though, we were able to turn scratched, gouged, gored and battle-­worn plastic into very shiny pieces that we were proud of. How did we do it? Sweat equity. The magic elixir in Plastic Renew is a su­per-thin plastic coating that is applied the same way that Rain-X is applied to a windshield, but the finished look of the new plastic coating is only as good as the prep that goes into the original plastic. The sheets of sandpaper come in several different grits. Depending on the depth of the scratches, you start with the rough paper and work your way down to the fine (eventually steel­ wooling the fender). It's not an "easy-does-it" project. The more sweat you put into the sanding process, the new­er your beat-up lender will look when you are done. It works, if you work."

[This message has been edited by JPNTHUMP (edited 09-14-2000).]

• Hick

Posted September 14, 2000 - 05:31 AM

I have used Plastic Renew on my KX 500. The key to making it work was sanding it very smooth with increasingly fine grades of paper. It made the plastic look new, so it worked great as far as I’m concerned, but it took some elbow grease.

A buddy of mine used it on his CR 500 and he had good results but he complained that after several rides the shine dissipated. A quick retreating with Plastic Renew brought the shine back but apparently this is not a permanent fix.

The finish on my KX 500 looked great for the last few months that I owned it.

I used about half a bottle to treat my whole bike.

Hope this helps!

• Tim

Posted September 14, 2000 - 08:15 AM

Another quick way to get your bike shiny is take some wd-40 or Armorall to it. As the others, it is not a fix for life, you will probably have to do it every time you wash the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CrazyRonny

Posted September 14, 2000 - 10:07 AM

First, rough sanding the scratch is not enough to obtain a good finish. I go all the way to 600 grade wet-sandpaper. To obtain a very good finish I buff it with a blue paste for plastic and a buffing wheel on a hand drill, you can have complete info and accessorie for buffing at this site
If you don't find the finish is glossy enough, you can use "Plastic Renew" kit, but be carefull with very dark plastic, I used it on the blak rear fender of an ATV and it make some sort of white fog that is almost impossible to remove after.
Good luck, and keep in mind, patience is the key here it's not an easy job. I did this job a couple off time on ATV plastic because the price to replace them is to high, but I will prefer to buy new plastic for my "426".

• MikeOK

Posted September 14, 2000 - 11:34 AM

I used the plastic renew on my 426 recently after a couple of demolition derby moto's. It does work well but you have to follow the directions exactly and it takes several steps, but it shines better than new when done. Only problem is it will come off soon, so it may or may not be worth it unless you were dressing it up for something. I now just use the wet sandpaper from 400 to 600 grit and it is as shiny as I need it to be...

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 14, 2000 - 02:44 PM

I use furniture polish everytime I clean my bike, spray it on, let it sit about 30 minutes and wipe off, looks brand new and doesnt attract dirt as bad as WD-40.

Norman K.

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted September 20, 2000 - 07:56 AM

All the guys around here use "Mop'n Glow" on plastic. It puts a nice thick, shiny coat on the plastic.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.