2001 WR 426 on the Track

3 replies to this topic
  • fav028

Posted December 08, 2009 - 04:19 PM

I recently got a 2001 WR426 that was halfway converted to a YZF. Well the plastics and got rid of light at least. I took it to the track last weekend had no problems through the turns and climbing the steep hills but wasn't able to really get any air on the jumps. I was maintaining the same amount of speed as lot of the other riders but only landing half as far. Do you have to preload the suspension? Should the suspension be soft or stiff for the track? It set up pretty soft now. Any suggestions? Thanks,

• YamaLink

Posted December 08, 2009 - 05:57 PM

You're dealing with a lot of weight.

Set your sag, and dial in the compression and rebound so you're not preloading too much on the face. But I presume it's mainly the extra 30 or so pounds.

PS: be careful!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 08, 2009 - 09:45 PM

I recently got a 2001 WR426 that was halfway converted to a YZF. Well the plastics and got rid of light at least. I took it to the track last weekend had no problems through the turns and climbing the steep hills but wasn't able to really get any air on the jumps. I was maintaining the same amount of speed as lot of the other riders but only landing half as far. Do you have to preload the suspension? Should the suspension be soft or stiff for the track? It set up pretty soft now. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Much, much stiffer.

• matt4x4

Posted December 09, 2009 - 10:24 AM

you have to play with your gearing some to get the acceleration you need over the short runs you find on tracks and you have to lose weight (on the bike) wherever you can.
My bike would do about 60 feet but if the landing was sketchy - it was never pretty - the WR suspension is valved too soft - something that will always limit you.
I'm converting my wr into a yz this winter - YZF suspesion, tank, seat, I've got all the mods done on the bike and it's geared really nice for what I like to ride, so it'll now be able to jump better/further/safer as well and the conversion cost me next to nothing.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.