Gearing

3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 12, 2000 - 02:36 PM

I am going to try and tone my YZ down for tight stuff by putting on a 15 tooth C/S. I have heard most people actually drop to a 13. Hmmm might I be going to high? What are most "Trail" riders using?

• Tim

Posted September 12, 2000 - 02:52 PM

I would NOT try a 15t if you are planning on doing tight woods riding. I went to a 13t and a 51 rear, and I might have gone too far. Although I only have one ride on this set up, I feel like I am between gears in the woods. Before this I had stock rear and 13 front and it was about perfect. The 14 front was too fast in the woods and a 15 would make you stall alot easier, as well as make it faster in the woods and not slower. This motor has plenty to pull the 15t. Just remember, you don't HAVE to wack the throttle open all the time. :)
Hope this helps
Tim

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted September 13, 2000 - 06:46 AM

Originally posted by Roostn:
I am going to try and tone my YZ down for tight stuff by putting on a 15 tooth C/S. I have heard most people actually drop to a 13. Hmmm might I be going to high? What are most "Trail" riders using?

Roostn,

You went backwards. To gear down for tight stuff go larger in back or smaller in front. One tooth in front is roughly equivalent to 3.5 teeth in back, so 13/49 is about the same as 14/52 or 14/53.

One problem with going up that many teeth on the rear is your old chain will be too short, but you should really mate a new chain with new sprockets anyway.

I actually geared up to 14/47 but I ride all desert. I run a few races in tighter terrain (Pine trees) and run 13/51. This is a pretty significant reduction (about 10mph on top or 12%) and you can really feel the difference.

One thing I would watch if you are going to try a 15 tooth counter is clearance with chain slider and/or swingarm.

BTW your top speed would go from about 89 mph (stock) to about 95 if all you did was change from 14 counter to 15.

• Taffy

Posted September 13, 2000 - 11:26 PM

Roostn

my WR has a lower first gear in the gearbox, a little like i'm 1 tooth added to the rear already.

front sprockets are cheap enough so go try the 14T & then the 15T if your doing firebreaks etc.

the 15T fits fine & will infact give your chain slider an easier time. you can also do all these changes on the same chain.

i don't believe in new C & S everytime. i was always taught- "change your chain at 2/3 life coz it's the last 1/3 that eat the teeth". i rarely buy sprockets.

hope this helps.

Taffy

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.