How to take out a stripped bolt?

9 replies to this topic
  • jcolborn48

Posted December 07, 2009 - 10:45 AM

I stripped the allen bolt that holds the header on to my '07 450 :banghead:. How screwed am I? What do I do next? Any ideas appreciated.

• tech24

Posted December 07, 2009 - 10:48 AM

Get a chisel and hammer tap and notch in it and tap it loose. An air hammer works best but you can do it by hand. I just did the same thing yesterday....I HATE ALLEN BOLTS. You can also try some vise grips if you can get to it with them. My bike is a steel frame so I had room.

Another way is to take a 12 point socket (that you don't mind destroying) that will fit over bolt head by smacking it on with a hammer.

Bolt may also snap off in head which is no big deal if there is enough room you can just put a nut on it

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2009 - 10:50 AM

I stripped the allen bolt that holds the header on to my '07 450 :banghead:. How screwed am I? What do I do next? Any ideas appreciated.

Do you mean you stripped the threads out of the head, or the hex socket out of the Allen bolt itself?

• jcolborn48

Posted December 07, 2009 - 11:11 AM

Do you mean you stripped the threads out of the head, or the hex socket out of the Allen bolt itself?

The hex socket out of the allen bolt

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2009 - 11:39 AM

That should be fairly simple. Loosen the hex nut on the stud first to take the tension off the Allen bolt. Then, you can probably just unscrew it. If it's really trashed, you can try jamming a Torx bit into it, or a big screw extractor.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jcolborn48

Posted December 07, 2009 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll see what I can do.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 07, 2009 - 02:44 PM

Take a dremel tool with a cutting disc and slice a screw driver notch in it, then un-screw it.

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2009 - 03:22 PM

Take a dremel tool with a cutting disc and slice a screw driver notch in it, then un-screw it.

You do know where this particular Allen head is, don't you?

• jcolborn48

Posted December 07, 2009 - 06:08 PM

Yeah, dremel would be tough to get in there. But I was able to get it with a wedged in torx head, Thnx Gray

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2009 - 09:34 PM

Cool. Because Allens have that tendency, I always leave the nut and stud a little loose, tighten up the Allen to about 3/4 of its required torque, then crank the nut down. That causes the flange plate to tilt a bit, "tightening" the Allen farther without actually turning it.

When ever I loosen the flange, I always loosen the nut first.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.