2010 YZ450F Weight Issue

59 replies to this topic
  • Motoripper523

Posted December 08, 2009 - 07:44 PM

guess we need conformation from someone who has has their hands on one already.

• mediumfast

Posted December 08, 2009 - 08:41 PM

If you can't lift and bike on and off the stand (as well as picking it up when it falls over) you should think about a smaller bike. Just wait until February when MXA does the shootout. They weigh all the bikes on the same scale. I've heard it's 6 lbs heavier than the 09 YZ450 but feels about 6 lbs lighter when in motion. Considering the 09 was considered pretty light I don't think there's really any worry here. Again, if this much weight is a big issue for you you should probably be looking at a 250F.

• racerxx276

Posted December 08, 2009 - 09:01 PM

It feels 15 lbs lighter than my 09....
I've got both and rode them back to back

I'm lucky to have an 2010 and its getting tougher to listen to those that don't have one or haven't spent any real time on one ,to have an opinion on everything from the weight to the powerband....

• Family Man

Posted December 08, 2009 - 10:05 PM

Yeah, armchair quarterbacks. Kinda like the people that don't like 2 strokes, without ever having ridden one first. You gotta ride it, maybe for a while, then make up your educated, real world mind.

Edited by Family Man, December 08, 2009 - 10:07 PM.
spelling

• honda597

Posted December 08, 2009 - 11:13 PM

RMZ is way better bike than new yami,and yami is really ugly too:D

I had an 09 RMZ450, and its not even in the same league as the new YZ450.

1. The RMZ is down on power, signs off well before the YZ450

2. The RMZ feels a good 12lbs heavier than the Yz.

3. The suspension is way better on the yz. The RMZ fork was under sprung and the shock felt harsh out of the box..

• Motoripper523

Posted December 08, 2009 - 11:59 PM

I had an 09 RMZ450, and its not even in the same league as the new YZ450.

1. The RMZ is down on power, signs off well before the YZ450

2. The RMZ feels a good 12lbs heavier than the Yz.

3. The suspension is way better on the yz. The RMZ fork was under sprung and the shock felt harsh out of the box..

Wow that is really surprising to hear! Good info from an owner of both.

• paramedicmeyer

Posted December 09, 2009 - 12:30 AM

Not to sound like a over zealous new owner but my impression of the 2010 yz is that when in motion it feels like the lightest bike i've ever ridden. I feel like im on a bike that weighs at least 50 pounds less.

• HTHT

Posted December 09, 2009 - 05:29 AM

Wet Honda is 239lbs and New Yamaha is 247. I just measured both in my shop.

• rider211

Posted December 09, 2009 - 05:45 AM

Yeah, armchair quarterbacks. Kinda like the people that don't like 2 strokes, without ever having ridden one first. You gotta ride it, maybe for a while, then make up your educated, real world mind.

You mean pit board racer's?...lol! I'd definitely have to agree with that. I've owned both, A 06 rmz450 witch turned better than any other brand even till now but had NO top end stock I had it modified,head work high comp. piston valves,cam's the works it made it alot better but still not as good as some stock bikes I've ridden, it was just as fast on top as my 2010 yz450f "or close to it i think the yami is still a Lil faster on top" after $2000 in mod's and now the yami turns that good to! And don't get me started on 2 stroke's rite now the 250 2's are killing the 250f's at local race's and I think there alot more fun to ride than a 250f :banghead: can't say anything about the 2010 Rmz 450 I haven't rode it but from what they say where they have them "Australia" it has alot more top end now and like any zuk you know it's a mean cornering machine!....now if they have some reliability to there motor this yr. they'll be looking good"as the bike it self is a pretty looking bike" even stock my 06 was a nightmare to keep running

• Sparky_So_Cal

Posted December 09, 2009 - 08:42 AM

It cracks me up everyone bitch'n about the weight issue. If someone is that concerned about the weight of the bike, they should call Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers. Be more advantageous to them in the long run.... I know I can stand to loose a good 15-20 pds

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2009 - 09:05 AM

Kinda like the people that don't like 2 strokes, without ever having ridden one first.

Do you know people who have never ridden two-strokes?

Regarding weight, it would be really hard for me to get too worked up about a bike that handles well and feels nimble and controllable just because it weighs 245. A lot of my favorite old bikes were 300 pounds plus. OTOH, I did own a CZ 380 that I got down to 220 wet with an empty tank. But, as far as the 5 or 10 pounds in question:

Posted Image

:banghead:

• Motoripper523

Posted December 09, 2009 - 09:31 AM

You mean pit board racer's?...lol! I'd definitely have to agree with that. I've owned both, A 06 rmz450 witch turned better than any other brand even till now but had NO top end stock I had it modified,head work high comp. piston valves,cam's the works it made it alot better but still not as good as some stock bikes I've ridden, it was just as fast on top as my 2010 yz450f "or close to it i think the yami is still a Lil faster on top" after $2000 in mod's and now the yami turns that good to! And don't get me started on 2 stroke's rite now the 250 2's are killing the 250f's at local race's and I think there alot more fun to ride than a 250f :banghead: can't say anything about the 2010 Rmz 450 I haven't rode it but from what they say where they have them "Australia" it has alot more top end now and like any zuk you know it's a mean cornering machine!....now if they have some reliability to there motor this yr. they'll be looking good"as the bike it self is a pretty looking bike" even stock my 06 was a nightmare to keep running

Good to hear perspective from someone who has owned both, I have hard times keeping my RMZ going too, Im thinking about going with the new 250f but am concerned about reliability.

• jayh300

Posted December 09, 2009 - 11:52 AM

Do you know people who have never ridden two-strokes?

Regarding weight, it would be really hard for me to get too worked up about a bike that handles well and feels nimble and controllable just because it weighs 245. I lot of my favorite old bikes were 300 pounds plus. OTOH, I did own a CZ 380 that I got down to 220 wet with an empty tank. But, as far as the 5 or 10 pounds in question:

Posted Image

:banghead:

any way you could send that little "process" to me....

i can think of countless applications..

jay

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2009 - 12:04 PM

any way you could send that little "process" to me....

jay

Right click, "save picture as" ... :banghead:

• jayh300

Posted December 09, 2009 - 12:09 PM

Right click, "save picture as" ... :banghead:

got it...was trying to "copy" not "save as......"
thanks, you will see it again

jay

• grayracer513

Posted December 09, 2009 - 12:27 PM

got it...was trying to "copy" not "save as......"
thanks, you will see it again

jay

Use it prudently, and in fun. :banghead:

• jayh300

Posted December 09, 2009 - 12:48 PM

Use it prudently, and in fun. :banghead:

will do...

like these... all found here... btw
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
sorry back on track...
jay

• Motoripper523

Posted December 09, 2009 - 06:21 PM

will do...

like these... all found here... btw
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
sorry back on track...
jay

That last one really cracks me up!

• jayh300

Posted December 09, 2009 - 07:10 PM

That last one really cracks me up!

me too...

• rider211

Posted December 10, 2009 - 06:13 AM

Good to hear perspective from someone who has owned both, I have hard times keeping my RMZ going too, Im thinking about going with the new 250f but am concerned about reliability.

Ya it's hard to spend that much loot on something you know has a good chance of not being reliable. the RMZ 250f's are a lil better on reliability than the 450 thou,I've got two buddie's that race them a 07 and a 08 and they made it almost a whole season before it blew up on the 07 and the whole season on the 08 but like my 450 once it did it was done i replaced everything and it just didn't matter it wouldn't last and either would there's, it's a shame because i loved alot of thing's about the bike except for top end power

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.