2010 YZ450F Weight Issue

59 replies to this topic
  • Mike546

Posted December 07, 2009 - 03:08 AM

Never mind, Works Connection has one.

• rickallen124

Posted December 07, 2009 - 06:34 AM

Light speed also has a one piece skid plate with case gaurds available. I've seen it advertised in the mags recently and they have it in stock even though it doesn't show up on the website.

• Motoripper523

Posted December 07, 2009 - 07:11 AM

The CRF is lighter due to a smaller frame and parts that are made as light as possible. MXA has had two or more side case covers crack. I don't think that it's as durable as the '08 was.

Yea I totally agree I saw in the first impressions of the YZ that everyone was saying the ergos were spacious and tall riders felt at home, on the other hand Honda has decided to small up their bikes and you see what it did to Kevin Windham.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 07, 2009 - 12:12 PM

Anyone make a skid plate for it yet? It sure looks like it needs one. I'm going to start buying the accessories now since mine wont be here till March.

My buddy down at the shop said it pretty much looks like late december for it will arrive but he says it will probably be after the 1st of the year.

• cowboyona426

Posted December 07, 2009 - 12:33 PM

My buddy down at the shop said it pretty much looks like late december for it will arrive but he says it will probably be after the 1st of the year.

Man I feel bad for you guys, I sat on one on the showroom floor on Friday. Just sitting there, waiting for someone to buy it... blue model.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted December 07, 2009 - 01:25 PM

Man I feel bad for you guys, I sat on one on the showroom floor on Friday. Just sitting there, waiting for someone to buy it... blue model.

Thats the way it goes. Over here where I live its nothing but woods and dirtroads (way back in the sticks)

The time it takes something to get here to us its already outdated.

• ProMed

Posted December 07, 2009 - 01:55 PM

On their website Yamaha's claimed "wet weight" for the 2010 is 245 lbs.

Honda's claimed curb weight* on their 09 CRF450R is 234.8 lbs.

*"Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride"

Links:

http://www.yamaha-mo...09/0/specs.aspx

http://www.vitalmx.c...da-CRF450R,2866

• Motoripper523

Posted December 07, 2009 - 02:50 PM

On their website Yamaha's claimed "wet weight" for the 2010 is 245 lbs.

Honda's claimed curb weight* on their 09 CRF450R is 234.8 lbs.

*"Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride"

Links:

http://www.yamaha-mo...09/0/specs.aspx

http://www.vitalmx.c...da-CRF450R,2866

Wow that is pretty staggering but honda doesnt have a bi lateral frame and fi system in the front!:banghead:

• rider211

Posted December 07, 2009 - 07:53 PM

You need to read the available information about the yz. go to mxa, dirtbike, dirtrider, cyclenews, etc. there are many first impressions on this bike and more and more people are getting them everyday. One of the things that is almost universally mentioned is that the bike feels a lot lighter than it is when in motion. put simply it feels like it weighs 245 when you're lifting it on and off the stand but it feels much lighter when riding. if you are serious about buying this (or anything) you should learn as much about it as possible so you can make an informed decision. 245 lbs is the wet weight.

someone made a blooper,cant remember where i was reading it but in one site or mag had rote that dry was 245lbs, but ya thats realy the wet weight

• saccityfire

Posted December 07, 2009 - 08:03 PM

Curb weight is often with a half tank of fuel which is approx 4 lbs.

Additionally things with greater longevity (Yamaha's) usually weight a bit more than things that break or need repair often (Honda's):cheers:

:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motoripper523

Posted December 07, 2009 - 08:09 PM

someone made a blooper,cant remember where i was reading it but in one site or mag had rote that dry was 245lbs, but ya thats realy the wet weight

That was transworld mx magazine I just read that review!:banghead:

• otoman131

Posted December 08, 2009 - 06:17 AM

RMZ is way better bike than new yami,and yami is really ugly too:D

• nsbaldwin

Posted December 08, 2009 - 06:23 AM

yup, more weight is not the best for a mx bike, i gotta crf250r and i got the total weight below 199lbs (which is good)

• Ga426owner

Posted December 08, 2009 - 07:13 AM

RMZ is way better bike than new yami,and yami is really ugly too:D

ah thanks otoman, I finally know why the weight is 245lbs ....thanks :banghead:

• meyermetal

Posted December 08, 2009 - 07:27 AM

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but when you add that much gravity to the center of a bike it's going to weigh more. :banghead:

I may be too dumb to comprehend but can you explain :cheers:

• Mike546

Posted December 08, 2009 - 12:22 PM

I may be too dumb to comprehend but can you explain :banghead:

Um....it was a joke:smirk:

• Solid State

Posted December 08, 2009 - 04:49 PM

Wet the RMZ and KXF are heavier. The Honda is something like 2 or 3 lbs lighter wet.

Factually, in the same wet condition the FI Yamaha is 10+ lbs heavier than the FI Honda. Whether that is an "issue" as the OP asks is probably up to the rider/owner. However, you can be sure that the '11 Yamaha will be lighter than the '10 entry but it will be years before it drops 10+ lbs.

I like Yamaha (own two) and Honda (own two as well) so no real bias. I'm rather new to 4-strokes though and definitely notice the additional weight compared to my YZ250 but the traction advantage is huge!

Good luck.

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2009 - 05:34 PM

...the traction advantage is huge!

Thumpers have always been like that, and it isn't weight that does it. Back in the day, the British 500cc singles were actually lighter than the 500 and 600cc twins that often ran against them (actually, the 500 Triumph twin was pretty light), but the thumpers always had an advantage on sketchy traction. It has to do with all the time between power pulses.

• tim507

Posted December 08, 2009 - 05:36 PM

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but when you add that much gravity to the center of a bike it's going to weigh more. :banghead:

Joke, humor, dry humor or whatever the CG transfer seems to make the bike weight more for sure....most of us do not have a scale, we only have our brain as a indicator based on how hard it is to pick up the damn bike.

I have a 09 450 Berg (damn nice bike, but no motocross bike for damn sure) and it is a PIG to pick up and put on the stand. Know why.....ha-ha when that much weight (CG) is moved to the middle of the bike the bias changes to the rear...yikes what %? All I know is that it is harder to put on the stand.

There is an easy and reasonably cheap fix for this........it is a lift stand, now you do not need to be reminded how the relocation of the CG made the bike feel heavier, just ride
:ride::p:thumbsup::cheers::worthy:

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2009 - 06:01 PM

The CG was not relocated. The overall mass was more centralized. This did not cause the bike to feel heavier, that was the 5 or 10 or whatever extra pounds that did that. What's important is how it feels underway.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.