Anyone removed the E-start on the WR450?

49 replies to this topic
  • jason07

Posted December 15, 2005 - 08:16 AM

I have been debating buying a YZ450 or a WR450. I want the low weight of the YZ, but I really want a 5 speed. Has anyone had any success removing the E-start and battery on a WR? If so, how much weight did the bike lose? My biggest concern is how to plug the hole in the cases where the starter motor connects. I know most people love having a push button start, but low weight is more important to me!

I can't believe anyone has caught this yet, but the YZ 450f for 06 has 5 speeds. Unfortunately for the WR fans this might fix this guys problem.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 15, 2005 - 08:39 AM

I can't believe anyone has caught this yet, but the YZ 450f for 06 has 5 speeds. Unfortunately for the WR fans this might fix this guys problem.

2 different animals; the new yz is about the same as the yz 426 trannie,still a tall 1st and not much overdrive in a close ratio format. the wr trannie has a very low 1st and significantly more OD with wider spacing :applause:

• CycleWriter

Posted December 15, 2005 - 09:57 AM

I can't believe that so many didn't catch that this thread started in April of 2003. :cry: :cry: :bonk: :applause:

• Atlasrider

Posted December 16, 2005 - 07:12 AM

I think that before I removed my starter and battery for a decrease in weight of about 5 pounds, I'd go on a diet first and loose that 5 pounds from my gut! The starter is just too nice!

Jimbo

:bonk: Good one! The button = speed. :applause:

• twenty34

Posted February 22, 2006 - 07:05 PM

I also want to shed some serious weight. This is good information that you've shared. Any pics of what you did and how you did it?

its quite noticeable,flickability is greatly improved. removal of the battery also allows use of the yz airbox which is over a lb lighter. all in all i took just over 20lbs off my wr. and for all you people that think losing 20 lbs myself would do the same thing,your sadly mistaken :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted February 23, 2006 - 05:12 AM

I can't believe that so many didn't catch that this thread started in April of 2003. :bonk: :bonk: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

what difference does it make how old the original thread is there ricky,maybe people are actually using the search feature....whats the deal? did they tell you if you wanted to act like a ********* you couldn't keep your ties to the magazine up on TT :bonk: sorry no pics rickk

• Matty05

Posted February 23, 2006 - 07:08 AM

Don't whitebro's make a battery eliminator kit?
I have seen battery eliminator kits for cheap, the stock battery does weigh a ton!

• twenty34

Posted February 23, 2006 - 10:22 AM

ok, thanks for responding on the pics. Oh well, I can figure it out, just curious what the bike looked like in final form. No biggie.

And Yes, I did use the search function so I guess it works quite well. :thumbsup:

what difference does it make how old the original thread is there ricky,maybe people are actually using the search feature....whats the deal? did they tell you if you wanted to act like a ********* you couldn't keep your ties to the magazine up on TT :thumbsup: sorry no pics rickk

• ncmountainman

Posted February 23, 2006 - 12:56 PM

ok, thanks for responding on the pics. Oh well, I can figure it out, just curious what the bike looked like in final form. No biggie.

And Yes, I did use the search function so I guess it works quite well. :thumbsup:

rickk,in case you were confused by that post;the first part was directed to rick diaz (cycle writer) that remark he made was a lame thing to say :bonk: i ground off that nubby thing that held the starter and made a piece to fit the hole and tigged it shut :thumbsup:

• Atlasrider

Posted February 23, 2006 - 03:00 PM

I think that before I removed my starter and battery for a decrease in weight of about 5 pounds, I'd go on a diet first and loose that 5 pounds from my gut! The starter is just too nice!

Jimbo

I totally agree. If you want a full MX buy the 06 YZ450, its a 5 speed. For off-road racing or even just riding, the button is the ticket :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.