Manual cam chain tensioner

28 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2009 - 03:15 PM

The Zook tensioner still uses a spring. Make sure the engine is at TDC and loosen the lock bolt and nut located on the side of the tensioner instead of the rear like the APE design. The spring inside the tensioner does all the tensioning forcing the plunger forward just like an automatic. You then just tighten the lock bolt and nut. There is no ratchet system or pawl to keep the tensioner from backing off if the lock bolt comes loose. The plunger is a smooth bore design with one side machined flat for the lock nut. Sounds screwy but if done right it works fine. The Zook microfiche has a good breakdown of how it works. I really wish it was an automatic as I get tired of dealing with it!

More of a "semi-automatic" then. Kind of goofy.

• NVDESERTPETE

Posted December 08, 2009 - 03:22 PM

More of a "semi-automatic" then. Kind of goofy.

I agree! Goofy, even though it works.

Edited by rmzpegger, December 08, 2009 - 03:23 PM.
Link didn't work.

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2009 - 03:41 PM

There have been a number of designs for chain tensioners in the automotive world. A common theme is a spring loaded plunger that uses engine oil pressure as its primary pressure source, and a ratchet to prevent it loosening. When I first saw the design used by Yamaha on the YZF, my thoughts were that without the ratchet, it's entirely stepless, and that the means of preventing push back was so classically simple; you can't push a screw backward without turning it, and pushing on it won't turn it. Both very good things.

Still, something is clearly afoot here, and I still think the fault lies more with defective chains than with the tensioner. Perhaps in KJ's case it's different, with the extra spring pressure and such. It's a difficult problem to analyze.

• Solid State

Posted December 08, 2009 - 04:16 PM

Good thread. I was pondering a MCCT until reading the technical rebuttal given here against the stock units failing. It seems the manual unit is cheaper to make so the OEMs would use it especially if the auto units have a history of failing. However, lots of folks manufacture MCCTs and even engine builder on this site won't leave home without it.

Also I noticed a wide discrepancy on the correct procedure and frequency of adjustment of the MCCT. Folks on this site have recommended an initial rough adjustment then starting the bike and re-adjusting until the "noise" goes away. Not cool with that approach at all.

Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim813

Posted December 08, 2009 - 06:20 PM

An alternative is the Pro-X cam chain, made by Borg-Warner

Do you think the Pro-X chain should be replaced as often as the OEM? If not, how long to you assume the Pro-X Chain should be replaced?

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2009 - 06:46 PM

I have no way of determining how much, if at all, better the Pro-X chain is than the OEM YZF chain was spec'd out to be from the available info, so I don't know how long a good service interval would be. 100 hours of general use seems reasonable.

• Jim813

Posted December 08, 2009 - 07:44 PM

I have no way of determining how much, if at all, better the Pro-X chain is than the OEM YZF chain was spec'd out to be from the available info, so I don't know how long a good service interval would be. 100 hours of general use seems reasonable.

Would 100 hours be reasonable for the stock chain as well?

• grayracer513

Posted December 08, 2009 - 09:09 PM

I replace the stock chain annually. Sometimes that's 100 hours, sometimes it's not. Racing MX or other closed circuit races is different from the desert racing and recreational riding I do, though, and it's harder on the cam chain.

• Family Man

Posted December 08, 2009 - 09:54 PM

Right, its kinda impossible to reccomend a certain amount of "hours" without a good understanding of the riders ability. By the way are the hour recomendations in the service manual for Pro riders, begginers or somewhere in between?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.