Best way to oil an air filter

7 replies to this topic
  • i_wheelie_longer

Posted December 05, 2009 - 04:59 PM

Hi,
Do you guys oil both the inside and outside of the air filter? I usually only do the outside because I always felt that if i oil the inside of the filter that some of the oil will get pulled into the carb.

what is the correct way to do it? should I also oil the inside of the filter?

• jaybird67k

Posted December 05, 2009 - 05:49 PM

I always use liquid oil, not spray, and pour it on both inside and out gently massaging it into the foam.
After it appears to be evenly coated I then squeeze out the excess and let it hang up over night to dry letting the alcohol carrier evaporate.
I keep 3 filters clean and oiled all the time using No-Toil Biodegradable.

Hope this helps.

Later, Jason

• schrode

Posted December 05, 2009 - 05:52 PM

I always use liquid oil, not spray, and pour it on both inside and out gently massaging it into the foam.
After it appears to be evenly coated I then squeeze out the excess and let it hang up over night to dry letting the alcohol carrier evaporate.
I keep 3 filters clean and oiled all the time using No-Toil Biodegradable.

Hope this helps.

Later, Jason

exactly. the no toil is by far the easiest to clean as well. i hate using the aerosol oil/cleaners.

• Wes Woodin

Posted December 05, 2009 - 08:13 PM

exactly. the no toil is by far the easiest to clean as well. i hate using the aerosol oil/cleaners.

I stay with what works for me. Bel-Ray Foam Filter oil. Coat both sides and work in evenly.Color helps to determine where it is and where it isn't.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DangerRanger245

Posted December 05, 2009 - 08:18 PM

PJ1 oil filter spray. Its red so you can see where is oiled and where isn't. I spray both sides, mostly outside, and run a filterskins prefilter

• tim507

Posted December 05, 2009 - 09:04 PM

I use Belray and oil the inside only but read the exteior for saturation, then into a gallon baggy open for a few hours or more than ZIP it UP:p:ride:

• ReedRulz

Posted December 05, 2009 - 09:10 PM

I use Maxima FFT, I put the filter in a gallon ziplock poor the oil in and work it into the entire filter tell the filter is saturated. I then squeeze out all the excess oil and put the filter in a clean ziplock till its ready to be installed on the bike.

• schrode

Posted December 06, 2009 - 09:35 AM

I stay with what works for me. Bel-Ray Foam Filter oil. Coat both sides and work in evenly.Color helps to determine where it is and where it isn't.

that's cool. i used to use the aerosol, alot of varieties, for years and yes it did work well. but the no toil system seems to work just as well as far as filtration goes, plus i get 3 times as many cleanings and re-oils for the money as the areosol systems and it's way easier to clean. the re-oil is a little more tedious but not that bad.

if you haven't tried this system you might consider it. but if not then, no big deal. they all work well

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.