DB Snorkel???

15 replies to this topic
  • sabyz250f

Posted December 05, 2009 - 04:34 PM

Ok I bought a DB Snorkel for my sons KTM 65 so maybe he could ride it in our yard and play around without making the neighbors mad.
They probabley wouldn't say much anyways but just wanna keep the peace.

DB Snorkel's are actually made for the bigger bikes, 2 strokes.

I put it on my sons bike without cutting it to fit just to give it a try.
I figured without cutting anything it would be longer and thus even be quieter.

Both my son and I were excited. I told him what it was going to do.
I started the bike without it and let it warm up. Then while running I put the snorkel on (with extra foam to make the pipe dia work). After I got it on, my son looked at me and said, "what is it suppose to do?"
He was right, neither he nor I could tell a difference in the sound. All of the exhaust smoke was comming out of the end of the DB.

So I put it on TT for sale. Figured it's not made for small bikes.

But I had a great idea this afternoon.
I will use it on my stock 2009 yz250. Then when we ride together I can hear him better behind me and thus I will not have to turn my head around to look for him so much.
I did the same thing with it on my bike and again my son and I agree that it made little to no difference.????????????:banghead::cheers::worthy:

Every review and post I have read on these are that they are great (look a little funky but the sound reduction is suppose to be great).
I'm using all of the connection pieces.
What could I be doing wrong??? Are you suppose to put packing in it? I know not but can't figure this out. I have new packing in both bikes.
I feel like I wasted $95 but find it hard to believe with it's great reviews.

Any input would be great!

• brentn

Posted December 05, 2009 - 04:52 PM

Looking at the design it looks like a great idea to cut down sound as it has to go through all that rubber pipe and foam. All I can say is that there is quite a bit of noise that comes out of the air box...

Did you give it a good run, or just use it for idle? I have a feeling that the real sound suppression is noticed at higher RPM's.

• adam728

Posted December 05, 2009 - 05:15 PM

I think you need a sound meter or listen to it from a distance to tell a difference. On the bike you hear a TON of noise from the airbox and especially the expansion chamber.

I put a FMF Q on a 99 KX125. Sounded no different to me than the stocker. Let a friend ride it though and as soon as he was away it was easy to tell it was much quieter.

I've had 2 KDX's, which were nearly silent stock. Ditching the stock dual-wall pipe for an aftermarket makes the bike a LOT louder, but only to the rider. Sound check is the same, and it's still a quite bike from anything more than a few yards away.

• sabyz250f

Posted December 05, 2009 - 05:47 PM

Looking at the design it looks like a great idea to cut down sound as it has to go through all that rubber pipe and foam. All I can say is that there is quite a bit of noise that comes out of the air box...

Did you give it a good run, or just use it for idle? I have a feeling that the real sound suppression is noticed at higher RPM's.

What foam?

• beuford

Posted December 05, 2009 - 10:22 PM

I felt the same as you, no noise reduction on the 250 and even had someone riding behind to be impartial that also agreed.
But i will admit that it made a differance on the 490 that i had. It took that sharp noise it had and toned it down a lot.

• brentn

Posted December 05, 2009 - 11:20 PM

What foam?

Sorry, I thought you said that you put foam in it, but re-reading your post it looks like you used foam to attach it to your silencer.

• shrubitup

Posted December 05, 2009 - 11:57 PM

Had one. Cut it to fit. Did reduce noise some but not night/day. Yes, the noise to rider isn't much quieter (air box, pipe, etc.) but it does sound quieter from afar. In the end it fell off from extreme riding with it. :worthy: :banghead: I actually cut it to fit my Turbine Core 2 and then placed it on my stocker and went for a ride - that's when it fell off. It needed to be re-sized for the stocker to avoid the rear wheel rub. :cheers:

Bought an FMF Gnarly and Q Stealth from the TT store yesterday and I'm hoping for better results!

• RCannon

Posted December 06, 2009 - 07:11 AM

In the old days a mx bike and the street legal bike were based on the same machine, It was interesting to see because the street legal bike often weighed 30 lbs more than the mx version. The lights and associated street legal stuff never weighed much more than 20 lbs, so where did the extra 10 lbs go?

There were inserts, plugs, covers, chunks of rubber everywhere to dampen things. Also, the silencer was bigger.

Adding a q-stealth or a snorkle does make a difference in noise, but its very difficult to hear as a rider. I did not notice the q stealth sounding different in the garage, however, when friend rode it up and down the street, the difference was big . Everythign that shakes on the bike adds to the noise level. Things like loose levers, loose kickstart lever, pipe mounts and springs. Keeping these fresh or new will help.

But like Adam said, look at the airbox and expansion chamber. I built a small cover for the top of my yz 250 airbox from one of the white milk jugs and it makes it sound different.

• sabyz250f

Posted December 06, 2009 - 05:00 PM

I guess I was just expecting something more dramatic.
Think I may lower the price on TT.
There are too many satisfied folks, so hopefully someone will benefit from it.

Thank's for all the input.
I thought I may have done something wrong.:banghead:

• Roostafish

Posted December 07, 2009 - 05:38 PM

I have been running one on my bike for nearly a year. It didn't seem different to me either, but when several people commented on how silent it was when I rode up on the trail, I began to get the picture. I swapped bikes with a friend and could hardly hear mine when behind him. LIke others have said, it makes a difference the further away from it you are. Your neighbors should be happy you care!

We tried some heater hose hooked to a 45 degree copper elbow on a TTR 125. We routed it down the subframe opposite the muffler, then pointed to the ground in the void at the front of the swingarm. On the meter it made 2db difference. Pretty significant from 100 feet. Remember measurement in db is logrithmic. For every 3db you drop, you decrease your sound by half!

• obrianmcc

Posted December 07, 2009 - 05:44 PM

Doesn't a good amount of the 2T's sound resonate from the pipe?

• sabyz250f

Posted December 07, 2009 - 06:45 PM

If it doesn't sell soon I will just have to do an install and give it a long term try.

• atvtrailrider

Posted March 27, 2014 - 05:17 PM

db Snorkel on ebay. See  http://www.ebay.com/itm/181361528695

• Kgmx856

Posted March 28, 2014 - 01:13 PM

BIN $180 :lol: :lol: :lol:

• shrubitup

Posted March 28, 2014 - 01:26 PM

BIN $180 :lol: :lol: :lol:

listed as a dB Norkel. Forgot the S. Should be cheaper now. :busted:

Wait, what else can you BIN for $180? An FMF Q Stealth. :thinking:

Edited by shrubitup, March 28, 2014 - 01:27 PM.

• Kgmx856

Posted March 28, 2014 - 01:39 PM

I already have a q stealth. I still want a dB snorkel.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Yz250 crank shaft flywheel stripped problem! by jacob_buttery

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 6 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ250 2013 by MXRider72

Yamaha YZ250 2013
  • 4 reviews
  • Last review by phantom451
  • On August 10, 2014
Forums
Photo

the irreplaceable carb gasket/oring by Hutch1

• Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

87 yz 250 by ccauvel

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 yz 80 crank bearings out by Wheelierider3

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.