LE=.010
RE=.010

After adjustment

LI=.005
RI=.005
MI.005
LE=.010
RE=.010

I bought this bike used and it looks like the RI was extremely out of spec.

Any idea what kind of engine difference I should expect to see since the adjustment?

• i_wheelie_longer

Posted December 04, 2009 - 07:47 PM

I believe you adjusted your valves to the incorrect clearance. I think the clearances are .10mm - .15mm for the intake valves, and .20mm - .25mm for the exhaust. That is just remembering off the top of my head. Check the manual to be sure.

I wouldn't ride your bike until you are POSITIVE of the correct clearance, because the clearances you mentioned seem very tight

• Two-Six

Posted December 04, 2009 - 08:17 PM

I just rebuilt my 06 450 and all the valves were in spec except the right intake, it was .007. I adjusted it to .005, I haven't ridden it yet so I don't if it has moved.

• mywifefarts

Posted December 04, 2009 - 08:27 PM

Why are you guys adjusting for less clearance?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2009 - 08:30 PM

I believe you adjusted your valves to the incorrect clearance. I think the clearances are .10mm - .15mm for the intake valves, and .20mm - .25mm for the exhaust. That is just remembering off the top of my head. Check the manual to be sure.

I wouldn't ride your bike until you are POSITIVE of the correct clearance, because the clearances you mentioned seem very tight

The clearances he gave are obviously in inches, which would mean they are correctly set.

However, I am somewhat suspicious of the clearances given for the outer intakes, as they were, according to this, both loose, which is NOT a normal wear condition. There are three things that could account for this: Bent valves, carbon preventing the valves from closing entirely when cold, or a serious and abnormal wear condition at the lifter face or cam cap. If it has compression, you can rule out bent valves, but I'd recommend revisiting the clearance of your intakes, gently bouncing the valves down on the seat by tapping the lifters gently with a punch. When the valves tighten, it's normal. Not welcome, but normal. When they get loose, something's not right.

• silentZ

Posted December 04, 2009 - 08:45 PM

The original findings where very strange according to the guy I take my bike to. He thought that the person that previously inspected the valves had no idea what he was doing. I TOTALLY trust the guy I take my bike to, as he is the expert regarding 4 strokes in these parts. He services 90% of the guys bikes I see on the tracks areound here and is a retired engineer that knows the YZ450s inside and out.

What I was wondering, was if everything is good to go with the current clearances, should I expect to see improvement in power, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2009 - 08:52 PM

The original findings where very strange according to the guy I take my bike to.

That makes me feel a little less apprehensive.

He thought that the person that previously inspected the valves had no idea what he was doing.

...And that's a possibility.

What I was wondering, was if everything is good to go with the current clearances, should I expect to see improvement in power, etc.

No. But it should be a little quieter.

• silentZ

Posted December 04, 2009 - 08:58 PM

Thanks so much. I have been a 2 stroke guy in the past and I have not ventured into the inner workings of the 4 stroke engine. I really appreciate your expertise!!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.